MLB 2023: the Year The RSNs Broke

I think we agree, I was trying to show that their offensive side was very similar and the defensive position was the big differentiation. I wasn’t clear enough.

Yep. I misunderstood you.

Dude still lives with his parents. How embarrassing.

Ya for sure the fact that he played 1b and didn’t hit dingers is pretty much the problem. In this day and age he would be playing 2b and never be considered for 1B. I think he will get in at some point.

Yeah, but who does this guy think he is?

Nice game, pretty boy!

I miss Seinfeld.

I think a lot of it is the position they played. Third base is just considered a tougher position and has had fewer dominant players.

And here we go…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-25/sports-broadcaster-diamond-faces-8-6-billion-debt-reckoning

The position itself, but not the skill at the position. Hernandez is almost inarguably the best fielding first baseman of all time. Lack of HRs and the fact that it’s 1B is, imo, the main reason he’s not (yet) in.

(and yeah, I know you are saying a similar thing about the value of 3B vs 1B from a fielding perspective).

The cocaine stuff didn’t help either…

So Ronald Acuna is having a pretty interesting offseason…

Mets extend Jeff Mcneil 4 years 50 million. Unless he gets hit by a bus that’s an awesome deal. Honestly I’m pretty sure he could have gotten a lot more, but perhaps he thinks he can get by on 50. ;)

That might just the most pimped home run I’ve ever seen outside of a movie.

It’s not a celebration. It’s a limited original series.

If you’ve seen Cleveland home highlights in the past 50 years, you’ve heard John’s drum. The heartbeat of the stadium for ages until his health took a turn the past couple years. The recent articles about him sounded like his condition was improving but appears that was sadly not the case.

This is delightful.

Battered Bastards of Baseball
Anybody see this? It’s the love of the game vs the United States.
It’s on Netflix.

Ya I watched that a long time ago. What I got from that is that Kurt is good at everything. :) In other news the Mets paid 1 million for an ad during the Super Bowl. Why? Who the heck knows. I swear they are going to be the most hated team if and when they finally win. I really hope that happens before he gets bored and sells the team. ;)

So…good news, I think. But also, feels like the tip of the legal iceberg of litigation.

Would it be though? The stuff that I’ve seen indicate this is because Sinclair may miss payments and default, and the debitors may impose blocking of broadcasts to save money, so MLB would need to assume control as they probably have some ultimate control should Something Bad Happen. I don’t think Sinclair has a leg to stand on at that point.

I’d be happy if it did happen, because Sinclair is simply awful in nearly ever sense of the word.

— Alan

Just to be clear, it’s a local buy airing in the NY market only during the Super Bowl. I’ve seen the ad and it’s a bog standard ticket sales ad. Beyond the timing and larger than typical audience, I don’t think it’s that noteworthy, but it’s getting press because of the Uncle Steve Moneybags angle.

It’s happening next week, per this story.

And then, yeah, the mess happens.

What I think could end up shaking out:

Diamond Sports relinquishes all rights to MLB and essentially defaults on its rights contracts (which likely gets Sinclair sued to high heaven by the individual clubs and MLB). MLB takes over the local broadcasts of affected teams.