WS: Cards over Yankees in 5

Go A’s!

Oh wait… :(

ALDS: Angels over Yankees in 5 | Red Sox over White Sox in 5
NLDS: Cards over Padres in 4 | Astros over Braves in 4

ALCS: Red Sox over Angels in 6
NLCS: Astros over Cards in 6

WS: Astros over Red Sox in 6

It’s hard not to like the Astros with that starting pitching. That said, they probably won’t win, but what the hell.

The Yankees could easily beat the Angels if they choose to “Bonds” Vladimir Guerrero. Ozzie’s “Small Ball” will wilt under the Red Sox offensive onslaught. The Cards are somewhat vulnerable, and the Padres are better than their record indicates. Beyond Jake Peavy, they have no starting pitching, though. And the Braves have an aching Smoltz and a history of coming up short in the playoffs. If Houston can score runs, they win.

I agree with sluggo’s picks except for the Astros/Braves series. That goes to Atlanta in 4.

Troy

Wow, I don’t think the Red Sox are done by any stretch, but I didn’t think they’d go home down 2-0.

Tony “Boggs” Graffanino. Yowch.

I think Houston has too much pitching. Even with their crappy offense, they should be able to beat Atlanta. Too many rookies. Plus, Atlanta never wins in the playoffs. People knock the As and Moneyball as building a regular season team that can’t win a short series…

I WANT the Angels to win, but I’m not sure they will. Johnson vs. Paul Byrd? Ew.

I don’t care who wins the Sox/Sox series, as long as whoever does beats the Yankees. I’d have said Boston before the series, but I’m a Tigers fan and don’t like the White Sox. Plus, I have XM and I LOATHE the White Sox radio team. They’re such homers, they make Dave Long look like a Nintendo hater.

Yeah, it’s almost funny to hear Ed Farmer call the play by play when the other team is scoring runs. His intonation is so flat you’d think he was reading a 5-day old wire report.

The worst, however, is their TV team, specifically Ken “Hawk” Harrelson. Not only is he so much of a homer that he can be fairly described as a cheerleader, his whole shtick is nothing but stupid catch phrases, e.g. “He gone!” It’s too bad, because when he started out in broadcasting with the Red Sox he was actually informative, but he devolved into a lazy doofus.

Hawk is quite simply awful. His catchphrases are needlessly childish (and churlish) and he frequently makes you want to root for the other team.

— Alan

Funny you should say that. I’d never heard the guy before last week, when I caught a few White Sox games on Extra Innings, and couldn’t decide which was worse – his biased playcalling, or his annoying catchphrases. Either way, I instantly found myself pulling for the other team. Minor league stuff.

Funny you should say that. I’d never heard the guy before last week, when I caught a few White Sox games on Extra Innings, and couldn’t decide which was worse – his biased playcalling, or his annoying catchphrases. Either way, I instantly found myself pulling for the other team. Minor league stuff.[/quote]
Hawk and DJ are really awful, but I like Rooney & Farmer. USA Today even called them the top MLB radio team. They’re nothing like Harwell & Carey were when I was a kid, but I still like them.

Anyway, it’s another “White Sox winner!” Time to start hitting people up for playoff tickets.

Wow. So the Red Sox are gone, and Randy Johnson is getting pummeled at Yankee Stadium, 5-0 in the 3rd.

I can just imagine the Fox folks comtemplating an Angels / White Sox ALCS … and crying.

That’s two of the three largest markets in the country. I don’t think they’ll cry too hard.

[quote=“Jason_Levine”]

That’s two of the three largest markets in the country. I don’t think they’ll cry too hard.[/quote]

Yeah, but they have to draw fans nationwide, not just in the hometowns. Is there a national fan following of either of these teams? This isn’t exactly Yankee/Sox or Braves/Cubs territory (then, few matchups are).

Troy

Or how about an Angels/White Sox vs. Astros World Series.

White Sox/Cardinals! Big ratings in the midwest!

I’ve heard 'em all, and Rooney and Farmer are two of the best, if not the best radio guys in baseball.

Are they “homers”? Well, duh. Like every single other Major League franchise in the country, their salaries are paid by the team that they broadcast for. WMVP 1000 doesn’t pay Rooney and Farmer, Jerry Reinsdorf does.

That being said, I’ve heard them be plenty critical of the team and specific members. Sweeping the Red Sox though would seem to invite a lot of non-criticism.

Meanwhile, this just in: The Cardinals are really, really good at baseball. I’m just sayin’.

I agree: I think a World Series where the Angels and White Sox combine teams to play the Astros would be pretty neat. Or take turns playing the Astros. Either one.

Cardinals’ magic number reduced to 8.

Two great games today. :)

It was quite a sight to see Clemens swinging for the fences in the 18th inning of a playoff game. Now we’ll see if the Astros can give the Cards a series.

Chacon and Lackey pitched two fantastic games tonight for the Yankees and Angels. I was a little surprised when both pitchers were taken out – they were both pitching extremely well, and the Yankees middle relief in particular hasn’t been great, but they pulled it out. Hopefully we’ll get a good Game 5 Monday night.

What a great baseball day on Sunday… two great games - well, really three great games, if you saw the second game extension of the Astros game… I had this gut feeling that the Astros were gonna win it after they tied. Not just momentum… but because the Braves bullpen was awful. I just didn’t think it’d take that long. Then the Astros brought in Clemens in the 16th… what a way to give your game up to a “reliever.” Great stuff.

And speaking of bullpens… of course the idiot announcers gush all over the Angels bullpen, and Shields gives up the game-tying hit to “the Golden One,” Ruben Sierra, and Posada gets home the next play on a grounder. Man. This game simply amazed me… frankly the teams didn’t have much going to the 6th, and Posada was a monster. But when they had an early base runner and opportunity… they immediately capitalized. That was friggin’ great. And while I hate NY and their stupid fans, the Bernie Williams cheers was awesome. I realize they’ve probably been doing that all year, but it’s still good to hear. Unfortunately game five has to be tonight… and then the ALDS starts Tuesday. Ouch.

— Alan

Heh, I lived in New York for 10 years, and learned that Yankee fans aren’t stupid, just incredibly arrogant (of course, they have reason to be arrogant) and have a distorted sense of reality where certain popular Yankee players are concerned. Want to drive a Yankee fan crazy? Tell him that Don Mattingly doesn’t belong in the Hall of Fame. He doesn’t, but just to find a Yankee fan who doesn’t think Donnie Baseball was God’s gift to the game.