MLB The Show 19 - anyone?

Ya sorry I’m just so stoked for the game this year. I actually think they will have to tone down the defense a bit from what I’ve played. Which is fine, but some of the plays the pull off now are so much more fluid. I yelled OHHHHHHH more than one time playing yesterday.

In one game a hard liner was hit to my 3b who knocked it down, scooped it up and fired to first to get the out. It was a play that never would have been completed in previous years due to slow animations.

Also the catchers fly out to grab stuff now. No more slow motion oh my god lets get to the ball eventually crap. What I’m seeing that may need to be tweaked is that all the players ranges seem a little OP.

Oh one thing that they did I that don’t recall happening to me much if at all last year. I hit a ball that I thought was gone because of the way the camera snapped up. I actually threw my hands up in victory only to see it get snagged at the warning track. Dicks. ;)

FYI i was just going through the operation sports comments and they all match up to mine. I tend to get over excited sometimes but I think they nailed it this year.

Play the Willie Mays moments and stand in the Polo Grounds and try to not be blown away. The lighting was stunning.

3 days in and my opinion hasn’t changed. This is just super fun to play and there’s just so many things you can do. I’m avoiding franchise for a few weeks, probably a month to see what bugs and sliders get sorted out.

DD and everything around it is way more than enough. Heck I didn’t even look at RTTS yet either. Crazy… The one really nice thing is that there’s like a billion ways to get new cards that don’t feel like a grind.

Jumping from '16 to '19 = I am relearning how to hit. Everything is way faster.

They upped the pitch speeds this year for the default settings. I personally think it’s a bit too aggressive, but I’ve gotten used to it. If someone is throwing 99 MPH and you are playing all star or above it’s not easy.

It’s no joke but I’m getting better.

If I wasn’t previously friended with you, please add me as your PS friend :) I’m jpinard

Opening Day today along with the positive impressions are really testing my willpower.

I am always consistently going the other way as a hitter. Don’t know if I’m just getting older or what but I sure don’t turn on the pitches very well. I hit decently enough, and it helps with a guy like Gallo, where they shift as a dead pull guy, but it’s still an interesting development.

I’m getting tons of opposite field hits too. It’s really hard to time up the fb this year. I did feel like I was starting to get better after a couple of days. If I wasn’t playing on a low lag monitor I’d hate to see my results.

What style of hitting, batting, pitching, and fielding do you all use? I kind of wonder if some styles of batting limit the variability of your hits (if you’re medium-sucky like I am).

I TRY to use zone hitting, but I’m starting to think maybe I should move back to directional with the upped pitch speeds. So for right now I’m using zone, but that’s certainly harder than directional. For directional you just have to time it well and you’re good to go. With zone if you cock up the placement of the PCI it can hose you.

For pitching I’ve always been using classic pitching as it’s more of just using the pitchers skills. I started using the analog pitching 2 days ago and I think I’m going to stick with that. It’s just a lot more fun and really feels like you’re pitching.

So for the easiest I would say classic pitching + directional hitting.

The big boon on zone hitting btw would be sitting on a spot and waiting for the pitch you can hit. This is actually a good skill to learn and use, but I’m having a hard time squaring it up this year.

I’m still using directional, I’m not wise enough to move the PCI around.

I bought a PS4 just for this and Spider Man. This thing is so good it’s almost spooky. (so far, anyway…I haven’t messed around with anything other than just playing games) Still trying to determine what I prefer for hitting/ pitching options, but it’s cool you have a decent choice. I hope the rest of this is as good as just the basic gameplay.

I use PCI hitting with the ‘Zoom’ camera and classic pitching.

I have played these games before, but it’s been years…there is no way to get a scouting report on a batter when he comes to the plate, is that correct?

I skipped last year, but in 15 through 17 I found myself using Zone even though I rarely moved the PCI. I always focused more on working the count. If you’re patient, you’ll eventually get a pitch that will catch a large part of the plate, in which case a dead-center PCI will avail you pretty well.

I tried Directional from time to time, but I was usually even less successful than I had been with Zone. I’ve read that the timing is harder with Directional than it is with Zone, to make up for not having to worry about location.

I don’t think there’s an automatic way. You can still drill into his card from the lineups or boxscore screen, I believe.

I wish some year they’d finally fix the bullpen interface. If I have two guys throwing, want to put one of them in the game, then have another reliever warm up in his place, it requires way too many steps.

Thank you! Yeah, I agree there are still some interface niggles. It’s hard for me to imagine them improving the actual in game mechanics, though…annoying UI decisions aside, it just seems almost perfect.

About a week and I’m still in love with the game. They are way more generous with the cards which makes it more fun. My team is already ridiculous. I’m sure I’ll just run into all diamond teams if I play season, but whatever.

For the event I slogged out the 20 wins to get the Cliff Lee diamond. I’m eye the Ty Cobb, but dear god that map looks like it will take forever to beat.