MLB The Show coming to more than PlayStation

Coming to “additional console platforms beyond PlayStation” in 2021.

Crazy times.

This is kind of a big deal? The hardcore MLB guys buy a Playstation just for their yearly version of The Show simply because it was their only option. I wonder if this was a condition by MLB to let Sony keep the exclusive license.

MLB put out there own baseball game the past few years with R.B.I. Baseball via MLB Advanced Media. So I’m not sure how that figures into all this.

Looks like the exclusive license expired a few years back, but under that license (I believe it was MLB and not another sports league; hard to find now with this new agreement) MLB could have still made a game if they wanted. So strike the word “exclusive” - this still feels like something MLB pushed for strongly as a condition of Sony keeping the license.

Nintendo and Xbox twitter accounts both commented on the news. I can’t really wrap my head around the idea of The Show on Switch.

I can and am!

Here’s hoping for a PC version!

Oh boy, am I too!

Sony’s license was never exclusive. The other publishers just didn’t want to invest in making something competitive with The Show for a market that didn’t seem very big. The RBI games are super budget in comparison.

Sony was restricted to a first-party license starting back when 2K snagged the third-party MLB/MLBPA license in 2006. When 2K’s exclusive license lapsed in 2012, Sony was been free to pursue a license for other platforms for the game, but they elected not to.