MMO Player Crucified for Ganking

Misbehaving players to be crucified in MMORPG

Players who misbehave in the Roman online role-playing game Roma Victor will be punished by having their characters crucified and displayed in public spaces for other players to mock and throw things at. The first crucifixion is being doled out to “Cynewulf,” played by a 27 year-old electrical engineer from Flint, Michigan, whose crime is “ganking” (ripping off) new players as they first appear in game. Cynewulf will be hung on the cross for seven days.

Crucifixion is to be used as a form of player ‘ban’ within the virtual world of Roma Victor, with the length of the ban reflecting the severity of the punishment. For cheating by exploiting a bug and advancing his or her character’s skills unfairly, for example, a player might typically receive a seven-day ban; multiple or more serious offenses will result in a longer (or even permanent) ban.

http://www.roma-victor.com/news/press/showpr.php?pr=060323a

I’m going to name my first character jesus. And then gank noobs.

Way back in the UO days I argued for something much like this. I hate artificial barriers to misconduct. If someone wants to town kill, or steal, or gank newbies, a realistic setting says they should be able to. A realistic setting will also provide severe in-game consequences should such a person be caught. I argued for jail-time (a prolonged time-out for the account). This mechanism is similar in intent but a bit more, uh, dramatic.

I’d hate to be the person whose job it is to go through new characters weeding out the "Je5us"es

Dang, I was going to post about this. :)

I think it’s brilliant. It fits with the theme of the game and provides a meaningful punishment. It’s a ban, effectively. I wonder, though, if they do anything to the player’s alts as well. It’s not nearly as effective if they can just play another character while the sentence is in effect.

Very good question. I feel for exploits and violations of the ToS, they should probably close out the alts as well. For “individual” crimes like ganking, alts should be unaffected. But who knows what they’ll do in practice?

Crucifixion as a time out? Seems they’d be better off just doing a quick anachronism and putting in a pillory or stocks. Surely this would be better served as a galley of people who’ve been executed (banned) for their actions.

People “rise from the dead” in MMO’s all the time, you know :-).

I don’t know…sure it goes with the game and all but it just seems, wrong somehow.

Not the banning but eh…I think I like it but …

I laughed at the jesus thing.

Do you think a Puerto Rican character would really fit in with a Rome game?

I think I’ll make a character and name him Barabus… see how that goes.

haha, hilarious!

That makes it even better for a character named Jesus. 'Cause you know he’ll be back…

I’d wonder if the company will get sued by the person being publicly embarrassed… Public caning doesn’t work here in the US, why would this be different?

I’m not saying they should, though I think it’s a very juvenile way to punish someone, it doesn’t really matter to me personally.

A couple weeks ago in WoW, a notorious ganker messed up one of our hunters doing his epic bow quest, thus causing a 3 hour cooldown before he could attempt it again. We tracked the guy down the next day and called in about 40 guild members, who then proceeded to sheep, sap, and mind control him for a good 30 minutes, until we got bored and made him drown with mind control. We haven’t seen him ganking our hunters at the quest since then. :P

I wonder if WW2 online is going to try and grab some free juvinile publicity by announcing that players will no longer be banned, instead the Nazis will cart them off to the Incinerators.

Way back in the UO days I argued for something much like this. I hate artificial barriers to misconduct. If someone wants to town kill, or steal, or gank newbies, a realistic setting says they should be able to. A realistic setting will also provide severe in-game consequences should such a person be caught. I argued for jail-time (a prolonged time-out for the account). This mechanism is similar in intent but a bit more, uh, dramatic.

I agree as well. Those who equate PvP with unrestricted ganking of noobs should be prepared to suffer serious consequences if caught.

I showed this to someone, and they said, “Wow, that will quickly turn crucifixion into some kind of sick prestige thing.”

And I said, “Isn’t it that already?”