MMOG subscription trends

Nice chart:

http://pweb.netcom.com/~sirbruce/Subscriptions.html

Do people still play Motor City Online?

I hate to say it, but Motor City Online was doomed from the very first demo.

God, I hope not. I reviewed MCO for CGM and it was a mess. I’ve heard it’s improved a bit since then, but it really had problems. The people playing it now probably have a thing for collecting since it seemed that’s really all the game boiled down to for many. They just wanted more money to buy more cars/parts…but forget racing them. You’d never find people using their own car to race anywhere. It was all quickie sponsored races where there was no money of your own on the line and no penalty of any sort for doing lousy.

The idea has merit, but the execution was a bonafide mess.

–Dave

>Nice chart:

Interesting, but not backed by any solid information. The EQ and UO numbers are largely based upon press releases (which are probably fine to rely upon, although they overlook accounts that people are just sustaining and not actively playing) – but even aggregate numbers haven’t been frequently stated in recent years. Most of those numbers are just guestimates based upon ancedotes.

I’ll add my own ancedotal evidence – a surprisingly large number of EQ and Camelot players have more than one account, to sustain mule or “buffing” characters. I’d love to know what the actual subscription numbers are for individual players who play more than 5 hours a week. I’m also curious what UO’s numbers are like in North America alone. Even if those numbers are actually much lower than those given, EA is still making some good money off a 5 year old game. Too bad they killed Origin to support it.

Still interesting – thanks for the link.

Stefan

“a surprisingly large number of EQ and Camelot players have more than one account, to sustain mule or “buffing” characters.”

Sorry but as you say these numbers in general are suspect I find this comment suspect too. Where’s any real proof of it. What is said on message boards and what “I have seen in games” isn’t substantial either.

Well, while I realize that “a surprisingly large number” might seem kind of misleading, as a surprisingly large number out of half a million subscribers or the likes would be quite alot. However, in my own observations, alot of people in MMORPG’s (hey! It’s fun to type) do tend to have multiple accounts. In my time with Anarchy Online, I encountered quite a few people in any given zone or server that had more than one account, simply for the purpose of being everywhere and having everything at any given time. The same was with StarPeace, Shattered Galaxy, Jumpgate, etc.

Granted, those are mainly smaller MMORPG’s, and some not even MMORPG’s, but I’d hope that the numbers would transcend over to their larger counterparts. Hell, if fractal designs have anything to do with it, they -do- transcend to their larger counterparts. But since I’ve never played EQ or DaoC, I have no proof.

But I would say it’s a good bet that there are a number of people who have multiple accounts. Whether that’s a “significant number” or not remains to be seen.

Edit: Oh, and another thing… what’s with this guy having such a limited number of games on his subscription graph? The Realm should not -even- be on there. Hell, Acheae has more people playing it now than The Realm does. And Motor City Online? Again—wtf. If he’s trying to represent the populus, he’s doing a bad job of it, and needs to put more of the big-name callers on his list.

i dunno- i’m not a ‘hardcore’ player (of AC1), but i have 2 accounts, specifically for the purpose(s) listed above… now, ok, maybe i’m just one person, but every person i know in the game- regardless of how casual a player they are- has at least 2 accounts as well.

maybe it’s just the game? if i hadn’t felt the need to provide my own ‘buff’/mule characters, i wouldn’t need the 2nd account at all.

-mike ‘mlatin’ latinovich

i dunno- i’m not a ‘hardcore’ player (of AC1), but i have 2 accounts, specifically for the purpose(s) listed above… now, ok, maybe i’m just one person, but every person i know in the game- regardless of how casual a player they are- has at least 2 accounts as well.

-mike ‘mlatin’ latinovich[/quote]

I had 2 accounts for DAoC and my wife currently has 2 accounts. I knew a lot of people with multiple accounts.

– Xaroc

" I encountered quite a few people in any given zone or server that had more than one account, simply for the purpose of being everywhere and having everything at any given time. "

I did too in EQ, AC and my short time in DAOC, but I think overall its “most people” or a “large number”. More than the single multiple accountgame is the claim of multiple accounts across several games. I.E. most of the people playing EQ, AC, UO, DAOC are all one group and play them all. I know of crossovers(people trying a new game when it came out, and maybe staying there or going back), but for the most part to me people stuck with one game. If they were into EQ at that time thats what they were playing. With the amount of time required for these games to level they would want to be in that game fighting, questing etc to get the exp and cool loot.

I guess unless someone can get real access to the numbers its mostly speculation anyways. I would like to see say EQ’s detailed numbers, and not just actual subscribers. Things like average length of subcription. Average hours played. What percentage stay for more than 1 month, 3, 6 or a year and others.

Never knew why people would want multiple accounts for mules though. A game like EQ gave 10 chars a server and AC had like five I think. I would just find a out of the way spot were I would have a mule char stationed or the char I wanted to transfer too. drop the stuff log off and then back on with the other char. There’s a chance someone could come by in that time but in like EQ there were plenty of out of the way spots and I never had a problem myself.

well, i guess the reasonings behind it are that it’s inconvenient to get to those out-of-the-way spots, and oh, by the way, a lot of those out-of-the-way spots have critters that are unlikely to be safe for you to keep a mule there, etc. so… since we can’t mule in those non-convenient areas, you have another account… this is the way things were in AC1 until housing came along. if you have a residence in AC1, you can just mule stuff there quite easily, without any worries of anyone taking your crap.

…of course, since housing is available in limited quantities in AC1, and since a lot of people with multiple accounts think that having more than one piece of housing makes for a nice status symbol, there’s still potentially the need for 2 accounts since it’s quite likely you won’t find any available housing for yourself.

-mike ‘mlatin’ latinovich

“by the way, a lot of those out-of-the-way spots have critters that are unlikely to be safe for you to keep a mule there, etc. so”

In EQ there were plenty of spots in the cities that people would hardly ever go into. I did it many times in the dwarf, DE, and wood elfs towns/cities with no problem. Not doing it at peak user times makes it easier. I did it in AC1 too. its not full proof, but I never saw it being worth paying another $10 a month just for that. Some epople thought diffrent I guess.

Uh, you cut off the rest of that quote, which indicated that the type of “evidence” I was presenting was equally suspect because it was also based solely on anecdotal evidence.

What’s a “surprisingly large number”? To me, anothing over, well zero, surprised me. I was thinking a number around 10%, but most people I know who play EQ or DAOC fanatically have two accounts. Judging by what people here have indicated, that 10% figure may be understated.

Stefan

In my guild, I’m pretty aware of who plays multiple accounts. I think it’s a bit less than 10% in our case. But a few people have several. I have 2. Account sharing among this group is more common than individuals having multiple accounts in their own name.

I think a lot of the multiple accounts are due to players taking over an account with an advanced character when a friend wants to quit the game, or simply buying them on eBay or something. A high level character represents an enormous time investment, so if you value your time, grabbing a high level account makes a lot of sense, especially if you’ve already gone through the level grind with your own character.