MMORPG Addiction

That’s pretty much why I stopped playing FFXI. Just too much of a timesink for too little benefit.

BTW, I started up again three weeks ago. After being clean for almost a year and a half :/.

dude

dont feel guilty about it

if you are having fun that is all that matters

if you die a happy man then you have lived well… the last few moments you are thinking of in your deathbed is all that matters… if those thoughts are that what you have done in life made you happy then that is all that matters… even if it means getting to level 60 in WoW

can you wait until the expansion and the level 70 cap increase?

Not sure if that was sarcastic or serious :?

There’s been a fair amount of real academic-quality study done of mmog addiction throughout the years. One place to look is the daedalus project.

My personal feeling is that WoW is the least addictive diku-style MMOG released in the last couple of years. The fast advancement curve and raid/pvp requirements at 60 mean it’s far easier to quit. It took me around 40 days /played to get my first character to 50 in everquest, and including all of my characters I probably played the game a total of 100 days or so. WoW took me 9 days to get my first 60 and I quit after reaching around 15 days. At 15 days my EQ character was still in unrest running from people yelling “train! hag!”. Of course it could be that I’m still burned out on EQ, but I quit EQ all the way back in 2000.

Note, BTW, that my numbers aren’t representative or even average. Many EQ players stayed on years longer than I did, and the vast majority of WoW players don’t hit 60 at 9 days played. I’m pretty much the ultimate powergamer.

I disagree completely. MMORPGs are fun, yes. But they are also complete wastes of time, and designed as such.

Do you think the designers of WoW sat down and said “how can we make this the best game possible?” No, there was a large element of “How can we make sure we get at least 3 months retention?”

My friend who lost that $40k - he had no excuse. They were really low on money, AND he was slacking on writing his novel, ANDDDD - after a while he didn’t even like the game anymore. Running his guild was like work, and he just compulsively did it and leveled mutliple toons to the cap.

You’ve admitted you have a problem. Now follow through and do something about it. Do what I did with EQ(1) - uninstall, break the disk, burn the cd key, change your wow password to something random.

And don’t fucking buy it again.

Do you think when you’re 70 you’re going to say to yourself - “Damn, I wish I had spent more time playing WoW?” At least wait until there’s a full sensory environment to lose yourself in, with the whole bit, catheters, IV feeding, etc…

Assuming it takes an average of 15 days /played to hit 60, playing 20 hours per week a casual gamer (yes, 20 hrs per week is “casual”) would hit 60 after 4.5 months. You think this sucks, and it does, but not like you think it does. You lack perspective.

WoW has a bunch of retention mechanisms now, but at release they basically had nothing. No faction grinds, no honor grinds, no money grinds, no AA, very little raiding. A month or two after retail tons of players were hitting 60 and going “so… wtf do I do now?” and retention mechanisms were quickly added.

In EQ I probably spent 2-3 days /played just grinding up faction to enter one city. There are several orders of magnitude difference between these games. WoW is far healthier. It still sucks, I quit after all, but it’s a much more friendly game.

I hear FFXXXIIV is worse than all the rest put together, breaded, deep fried in lard, and sprinkled with powdered sugar.

Threads like this are why I never ever want to even try a MMORPG. I can get lost in a single-player game easily enough as it is.

Oh it’s definitely worse. The achievement curve is so cruelly exact, so perfect, in FFXI, that it keeps people playing even though the striving-achievement cycle is literally the only enjoyable part of the game. But oh what a cycle it is!

For those who don’t know, what differentiates FFXI from other games is that you’re always on a very tight schedule of rewards, and you always know precisely what they are in advance. In addition to the level-by-level spells and equipment you have to look forward to, the whole game is essentially a series of intricately-spaced milestones. Subjob at 18, chocobo at 20, RSE from 27-33, advanced jobs at 30, AF weapon at 41, and on and on, until you’re level 65 and you realize you’re only halfway to level 75, and levels are starting to take a real life day each, and still you persevere, until levels take two days each but you’re soooo close to getting your RSE2 and after that your AF2 and AF+1 and then it’s only a couple hundred hours and three hundred million gil before you have the fully upgraded relic weapon, and then you can finally stop!

Or at least, stop your main job and start levelling something else. Seriously, the cycle is so vicious that the game actually warns you when you log in that it’s a bad idea to neglect the rest of your life.

I’m horribly addicted to WoW. The addiction itself doesn’t bother me; if it wasn’t WoW, it’d be something else I reckon. What’s irking me though is that I’d like to play some other games. I still haven’t gotten around to Civ IV, for example.

But every time I think about starting up another game, a little devil appears on my shoulder and tells me how I’ll end up missing out on gaining PvP honor and faction points in WoW, and that damn little devil always ends up winning out over wanting to play a different game. And so then I start up WoW. I am having a blast with WoW though, so I guess things aren’t all bad. It’s just that I’d like to play some other stuff too, but I simply can’t

I’ve found WoW very addictive and difficult to play in moderation. Where 2 hours/day is as much gaming as I should normally allow myself, WoW had me averaging 6. The good news for me was that after 60 and after playing a lot of alts and after doing PUGs up to UBRS, I did start to feel that the raid game was not for me and the pixel-chase (ooh, those beautiful blues) was starting to get old. So that made it easier to go cold turkey.

On the downside, after giving in and playing the 10 day trial with new toons, I’m finding it as addictive as ever. I think I’ll resist re-upping my main subscription, though. I’m again reminded that 1-30 (for me at least) is in some ways the most exciting part of the game insofar as the leveling comes fast, the quest options are endless and you are constantly unlocking new abilities. If I went back to my main I know I’d be right back to loitering around Org, spamming LFG, or solo grinding scarlet monastery – and again pondering whether to join a raiding guild and commit weekend time to molten core runs. Knowing that makes it easier for me to avoid going back in whole hog, and just enjoy taking a couple toons through 1-20 for old time’s sake.

MMOs are very powerful stuff, and I think there are some personalities – I am apparently one of them – who should tread lightly around them.

I was in a similar situation. I got two characters up to level 60 and was just not into the raiding stuff at all, so I was beginning to lose interest in the game. But then I started doing the battlegrounds, and now I’m more addicted than ever. It’s pretty scary actually.

I just quit WOW for the 2nd time and this time I threw away the CD’s.

I have bought numerous books the past 4 months, had a chance to set up a web site to try and make some money, missed a bunch of concerts, things like this which have been put on the back burner are why I quit and will not go back.

Now, I’m a HUGE gamer, play almost everything on PC over the years and I always tell people who don’t understand spending hours on these games that it’s OUR choice and we are having FUN. We all have our own outlets for fun and this is ours.

BUT, after getting my mage up to level 28, after a Shaman to 28, and some other low level alts, and then wanting to get an alt to 60 just as a challenge, I logged on last night and ran around for awhile and while running down the same path in Ashenvale I’ve run way too many times I thought how I am wasting 15 minutes running the same old route and I just thought, WOW, this is a BIG WASTE OF MY TIME.

The game is fun but I’ve decided that I will only ever play another MMOG if I can play, say, 100 casual hours at the most to get a character to the max level, just like a long RPG. I want to play these games and finish them, not be stuck in them forever. I realize there will probably never be a MMOG that lets you get that far that quick but there are too many things to do in life to spend that much time doing that one thing…at least for me!

I’m mixed on whether these games are a bad thing. I always have a vague feeling of guilt that I am throwing my life away playing them. Partly because of the much discussed, “When you are 80, will you look back and be happy about the amount of time you spent playing WoW,” question.

At the same time, how many people have the same repetitive practices, or perhaps more importantly, how small a number do not? I’ve discussed this same issue elsewhere (as I know others have).

Do you think WoW is that much worse than the group that gets together and plays the same card game (bridge, poker, etc.) over and over again for a number of years? Social interaction is about the only difference I can see, and I’m sure someone can argue you gain at least a substantive level of that through the ever improving online interfaces.

Oh that question is such bullshit. When you’re 80, you’re going to be wishing you had a whole lot of time back. You’re going to with you never spend all the time masturbating, you’re going to wish you never played a game or watched TV or read comics or watched all but the very best movies or read all but the very best books, you’re going to wish you’d never clipped a coupon or typed in your debit card’s PIN instead of just signing for it, you’re going to wish you’d driven a hundred miles an hour everywhere, you’re going to wish you didn’t sleep as much as you did, you’re going to wish you never spent any time on the internet (especially not posting on forums), you’re going to wish you never mowed the lawn or vacuumed or did the dishes, you’re going to wish you never stopped everything else and sat down to a meal that wasn’t on a holiday, you’re going to wish you never dated so many girls you didn’t even like because you thought you could get laid, you’re going to wish you didn’t take that course in Women’s Literature in your sophomore year, you’re going to wish you never spent half an hour playing with your cats, you’re going to wish you never wasted time arguing with people over things that didn’t really matter, you’re going to wish you didn’t waste time worrying about the war, you’re going to with you never picked on your little sister, you’re going to wish you never spent that one summer working out at that gym… man, you’re going to wish a whole lot of things.

Fact is, when you’re about to die I think anything you did that wasn’t strictly necessary is going to seem like a waste. Well hey, that’s great for when you’re 80, but what are you supposed to do to pass the time until then? Play WoW, I guess.

Problem is you don’t usually spend 20+ hours per week playing cards, and if you do, well, maybe it can become a problem. I guess it’s a personal choice. A part of me would love to be a student playing WOW “fulltime”, but I can’t, and I suppose I have other needs. As I can’t restrain myself to casual play, I’d rather not play. WOW is suposed to be casual friendly, but the only things that interested me when I was playing were the instances, which needed a lot of preparations at higher levels…

I played less than 20 hours a week, mostly daytime on weekends, which didn’t hurt my work or social life. I was never really addicted. But again, I think that’s largely because I was so thoroughly burned out from EQ.

If I was still having fun, I would still be playing. This is a very important point, one which many of you don’t really grok yet. But you will.

I play WoW with close friends who I’ve known for nearly a decade now - I’ve shared flats with some of them, been at their weddings, etc. We use voice comms all the time, we chat about random shit, and we enjoy playing the game together.

Fine by me. :)

I guess it’s different when you play with friends. You don’t have to build virtual relationship ingame. When I left WOW part of the problem was that a lot of my time was spent either with my (small) guild, or trying to find a group. Which can be a pain if you don’t level at the same rythm than the people you’ve met…

Maybe in one way or another, MMOs should get rid of levels… Although half of the fun comes from the powerlevelling !

First, I already said what you responded with. Second, however, all of that stuff does not change the fundamental nature of the question. Furthermore, not even all “leisure” activities are exactly the same. I imagine a lot more people at the hypothetical age 80 would have a little more comfort from knowing they played baseball with their kids out in the front lawn than burnt a summer away playing WoW.

“Poopsocking?” Is that as descriptive as I think it is (but hope that it isn’t)?[/quote]

It is perfectly descriptive.

I forget where the story was posted, but it was some guy reporting on cleaning up his roommate’s bedroom after having him evicted. He found socks with poop in them in the closet, under the bed, etc. Also 2 liter coke bottles full of urine.

I mean, how fucked up do you have to be to consider shitting in a sock instead of getting up and walking the 15 feet to the bathroom an option that is acceptable?