Mobile forum font size: you like 'em BIG, and ROUND

Dude, text is super easy to zoom on mobile. Just move the phone closer to your face! :)

-Tom

Regardless, it is fair to point out that Discourse default mobile font size deviated significantly from “typical” smartphone apps. Best to show it side by side, as I did – pick some common app a lot of people use, think Facebook, Twitter, default iOS and Android mail apps, etc – with all default settings like an average user would have.

Moved this to its own topic since I think it warrants it.

What about the regular UI elements in iPhone? Certainly those are hand tuned to the correct size on each device per Apple, yes? Let me check something, brb. OK, here’s the current body font size (15px) versus control panel.

And here is current body font vs. iMessage messages:

Well, don’t forget that the UI element is dependant on System Font (see Settings -> Display & Brightness -> Text Size) and it is user configurable. I could make it huge and have really nice system wide UI element that many apps supports (e.g. Unread, Tweetbot, WhatsApp, iMessage, etc). If only the browser/Safari plays by it as well.

Yeah, I am only referring to the defaults, as in, you bought someone non-technical a phone, and they’re gonna use it the way it was shipped from the factory. I do think there is a clear case to be made that our default font of 14px body on mobile was indeed, too small. See above screenshots.

The iMessage body is most equivalent to a Discourse reply body, and it’s basically identical in size at 15px now.

This is not a valid argument in my opinion. Someone with good eyesight is not going to be bothered by small font. Give a default setting phone to someone who can’t see small font and he will start looking at Accessibility options to make it bigger. He won’t be using the defaults.

I do get your point though, as Discourse is not really per-user configurable, and it has to be system wide, you probably need to strike a balance.

/me sulks

My posts were clearly about Dark Theme and mobile interactivity/interface issues, and not font-size! And yet here they are, lumped in with all the old codgers with bad eyes ;)

I resemble that remark!

And I’m very happy with the new font size. And the tip of my nose is happy too, as is my screen glass that no longer has nose prints on it.

You just wait. Your time will come :P

Dark theme user selectable, we hear you and it is in the cards, probably for 1.7.

+1
Love
Heart

1.7? More like Best.Version.of.Forum.Software.Ever. . . .7

I got the impression you already had loads of people using Discourse. Do your other sites not whine as much as we do, or something?

There are tons but “every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way”

Also, it really, really depends what you’re used to.

I have a feeling, and I am solely picking this out of the sky, that many forums using Discourse do not have members spanning years. For instance, Pebble or Gearbox or Kingdom Come, I assume the members created account for a certain games and once the game is over, they moved on. Not many stayed on long enough to care what forum software is their forum runs on.

The font size is frustrating on my iPad Pro; the resolution is so high that the text ends up really tiny. No way to zoom on the mobile browser. :(

Same here. I use my iPad Pro as my laptop, and Quarter to Three is just really frustrating to read now. I can do it, but the text is way too tiny. I wish the browser would let me zoom or I could adjust the font size.

User-customizable font scaling would be very useful, and should be pretty easy to do. This is one of those problems that only really matter on mobile, because you can customize desktop browsers to the extreme, but it matters a heck of a lot there.

Yeah, and tablets are a weird medium. They appear as mobile browsers, but the vast range of screen sizes and resolutions (from 1024x600 for a Kindle Fire to 2732x2048 for 12.9" iPad Pro) means that one font size isn’t going to work for all. The text is TINY on my Pro; it’s significantly bigger on my phone.

Since Wumpus himself has to be nearing reading glasses age, hopefully we’ll get a configurable font size option sooner than later.

I had 20/15 vision my whole life until the short distance vision issues kicked in at 45…

I always browse on my 13" iPad Pro with something docked on the right (usually Twitter / Slack) – this narrows the screen, because otherwise you have pointless page margins on the right and left. I haven’t noticed a font issue, perhaps try that?