Mobile Games in 2020

Easily where I spend most of my time, too. But yeah, I’m looking for something…I dunno, different.

I kinda want a good Guild-style strat/sim game, but alas I’ve not had much luck. Shop Heroes isn’t terrible, but not really want I want, either.

FTL might be the best argument I’ve seen yet for an iPad. Might have to break out my daughter’s, I don’t think she ever uses it anymore…

I heard good things about Gems of War, but I’m usually more than a bit wary of freemium games…

Mount it on the wall in the bathroom, there’s nothing better than pooping with a 10" screen!

Edit: Well, pooping with an 11" screen. But I reserve the newest iPad for couch usage.

I’ve recently downloaded Legion War after seeing it listed in from DasTactics’s Top games of 2019 and…it’s actually pretty good! Scratches the Advance Wars itch pretty well.

I’ve been hooked on Konami’s picross game, Pixel Puzzle Collection, lately.

I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t even install a game if the store page shows any sort of currency IAP.

BTW, if you like puzzle games, Simon Tatham’s Puzzles is an absolutely must-have. Free and no ads, too.

That’s the best Picross mobile game available, in my opinion. I beat all the puzzles and now I am sad.

Let’s see, what games do I have on my phone right now?

• Cytus II - favorite mobile game of all time; it’s a touch rhythm game will all original music
  • Pocket City
  • Pocket Build
  • Project Highrise
  • Cultist Simulator - really the text is too small for my phone
  • Evolution - best mobile board game IMO
  • 80 Days
  • Exploding Kittens
  • Onirim
  • Plague Inc
  • Really Bad Chess - i.e. really good chess
  • Sentinels of the Multiverse
  • The Eighth Continent
  • Tokaido
  • Underhand - this unique card-based pseudo-Reigns-like is really cool
  • Tiny Room Stories - nice point-and-click puzzler
  • Where Shadows Slumber - a kind of Monument Valley-like featuring shadow puzzles
  • Despotism 3k - management game with a cool Skynet vs. humans theme
  • Dissembler
  • Night of the Full Moon - a narrative card-driven game with cool art
  • Grand Mountain - my favorite dexterity game
  • A Planet of Mine
  • Game Dev Tycoon
  • Airport PRG
  • Detention
  • This War of Mine
  • XSection - awesome 3D geometry puzzle game
  • Euclidea - awesome geometry puzzle game
  • Pythogorea - awesome trigonometry puzzle game
  • Burger Shop 2
  • The Quarry - the best mobile Factorio-like
  • Antimatter Dimensions
  • Kittens Game
  • Sword and Glory
  • Heads Up! - best party game ever; we pull this out everywhere; hilarious and super fun
  • Vodobanka - haven’t tried this yet, but a tactical game from the makers of Antiyoy
  • Spaceplan

I’m not entirely opposed to IAPs depending on the game. But if a game has ads I can’t pay to remove, I delete it pretty quickly.

I’m the opposite, I generally will take a game with ads if it means I don’t have to pay for it. I don’t mind ads; I just use the time to look around at the scenery, or contemplate the universe and my place in it, then it’s back to my game.

This list is fantastic, and has enough overlap with games I’ve played that I’ll definitely be looking a lot of these up.

I just discovered Evolution is out for Android since posting this thread, and I see several here have mentioned it, so that’s one I’ll spend some time with in the upcoming week.

For me it depends on the type of ad – frequency, intrusiveness, etc – but if it’s a game I enjoy, I don’t mind throwing a few bucks at the publisher. Especially since I earn $5-10/month on average in Google Rewards money.

I’m not opposed to paying for a game I’m enjoying, but I usually need to know that I find a game worthwhile before I drop money on it. I flip games in and out on my phone constantly, there aren’t many that I’m attached to, so it feels wasteful to pay for games, generally speaking.

Agreed. The frequency with which games get installed/uninstalled is crazy, and I rarely pay for a game up-front without a very strong endorsement, or having played the ad-supported version.

My last two phone purchases have had expandable storage. A fast 128GB SD card on top of the phone’s native 32GB means I never have to uninstall anything anymore.

This is my first phone in a while that doesn’t! I’ve got 64GB internal storage, which is pretty good. But I’ve got some space hogs on there, so every now and then I go and uninstall stuff I just haven’t touched in a while.

DOTA Underlords is really great, and while free has no IAPs at the moment.

Gems of War is like a new 20 hour Puzzle Quest. Tons of content to replay and troop combinations.

It gets very time consuming and/or pricey trying to make a high end team. Stay away if you’re the type to chase after units and abilities. I pretend the events, guilds & upgrades don’t exist. I’m over 50 hours and still having fun with two starter troops in my main team.

The freemium stuff ruined the other mobile Puzzle Quests for me.

Have you tried Hungry Cat Picross? It’s wonderful. I even reset my progress after I was done to play again someday.