Mobile Internet

I’m trying to find a bluetooth cell phone (or concievably a PDA/cellphone) to use as a mobile modem for my laptop and possibly a PDA soon. I’m pretty sure that this is possible but I haven’t found much clear information on google. Does any of you have anything like this? Does anyone offer a monthly flat-rate plan for mobile internet access? Does it count as normal minutes, so you can pretty much only use it at night? All the cell phone companies talk about web on the phone but don’t say anything about just giving you a straight TCP/IP connection.

I’m pretty sure that this is possible but I haven’t found much clear information on google. Does any of you have anything like this? Does anyone offer a monthly flat-rate plan for mobile internet access? Does it count as normal minutes, so you can pretty much only use it at night? All the cell phone companies talk about web on the phone but don’t say anything about just giving you a straight TCP/IP connection.

Most companies charge a 70 flat rate for internet via the phone. Pretty much you are just using your phone as a modem to connect to the GPRS network.

All the providers I know do this with any blue tooth phone they have. Verizon cingular ect. Its expensive though if you dont get the flat rate plan and if you dont get it plan on paying an easy 300 bucks for a session.

Its pretty easy to get set up once you have a bluetooth phone and another blue tooth device ( such as pda or laptop ). The provider will give you all the information you need to get connected.

Also FYI it is possible to use the connection for multiple computers via connection sharing in XP. :)

Is that $70 a month? Without any voice functionality? I guess that’s a reasonable price for always-on. Thanks.

Yeah its 70 with out voice.

I guess that’s a reasonable price for always-on. Thanks.

IMHO no its not at all. Reason being is that I have my sidekick in which I can do a hell of a lot with and it only costs an extra 20 a month. They really dick you over on the data part of the cell plans.

I have a phone with T-mobile. They have a service plan option for internet access with the phone (using the phone as a modem, not web access with the phone, which is a seperate option). The internet access is $10 a month for 2Mb of downloads. They probably have higher rate versions, but I haven’t bothered to investigate. I would think that 2mb would disappear pretty quickly, unless you were only sending/receiving pure text hence I never bothered with it.

I would think that 2mb would disappear pretty quickly, unless you were only sending/receiving pure text hence I never bothered with it.

It goes really quick.

T-Mobile has an unlimited internet add-on for $20 a month (I think – it might be $30, I forget).

Yup 29.99
The T-Mobile Internet Unlimited plan gives you:
Unlimited data on the T-Mobile USA network
Instant access to your e-mail
Web browsing and full Internet access
Flexibility in where you work, when you work
$0.20 per minute calling
300 inbound/outbound text messages; $0.05 each additional message

Cingular just lowered their prices
Data Connect Unlimited $44.99 Unlimited

Verizon
Is still expensive
Unlimited Access $79.99 Other usage rates (1)

Verizon has EVDO, though, which gives you DSL speeds instead of dial-up modem speeds. I’m using a Samsung i730 Pocket PC phone and it’s great.

The phone can be tethered via Bluetooth or a USB cable, but some utilities or “secret codes” are involved as Verizon doesn’t want you doing this. See the i730 section at www.pdaphonehome.com for details.

The i730 is pricey, but if you work for a major company, you can often get a corporate discount through Verizon. It’s the best Pocket PC phone yet – WiFi, Bluetooth, thumbboard, and it’s fast.

Yeah, I’m looking into the corporate discount side of things, but I think my company has a deal with Nextel, not Verizon.

Does the corporate discount apply to the monthly rate as well as the hardware?

nextel? ouch.

Nextel is a problem? No flat rate, or what?

Well as far as I know none of their phones have bluetooth and the only internet plan they have is for the blackberry.

There is a Blackberry with bluetooth. Whatever that may imply.

With Nextel you won’t be able to use bluetooth for internet access, but we have internet plans, packet data service plans (tethered internet access) that works with many of the falcon series (ixxx’s) as well as as the i1100 (or something) pcmcia modem.

Pretty sure all the bluetooth on these phones (and the 7520) is wireless earpiece only. Motorola is kind of shitty on the innovation side of things, which is why the merger ought to be a sexy thing for phones in the future.

Can I get some background on that? What merger, and who is “we”? Are you talking about a PCMCIA cell-modem?

“We” would be Nextel. Merger is with Sprint. And yes, a PCMCIA cell modem. It’s the iM1100. Nextel doesn’t currently have EV-DO speeds, but that’s coming soon.

OK, so I could use Nextel for internet for my laptop, but not a PDA. How much does it cost?

IMHO it would be cheaper for you to go with another provider like tmobile. 30 bucks a month for un-limted is amazing and you wouldnt need to worry about which devices you could connect to it.

I have never liked nextel though but thats just me. They have always been behind the times in terms of service / phones and stuff.

Nextel and Sprint are merging, and Spring is about to release a high-speed EVDO wireless service in some cities. So you might want to check and see if your company’s deal will extend to Spring plans/equipment.

Nextel was doomed as a stand-alone company. They didn’t use standard GSM or CDMA equipment, so they couldn’t compete with the other companies’ networks.