Modding the GH Xplorer guitar

I gave the stickers that came with the guitar to my 2½ and 6 year old and let them go crazy…

Bump for better pic of washer weight mod.

From wumpus’ earlier link, this is AWESOME.

Oh, update on the button painting front. Using Vinyl paint works much, much better. Vinyl paint is designed to be handled, unlike plain old garden variety paint. The pictures in the literature show it on chairs, steering wheels, and other areas that get intensive wear / handling.

It has worked perfectly on the fret buttons of the two SG guitars. After a day of drying, and then a marathon 2 hour two player session with those guitars, the vinyl painted fret buttons show ZERO evidence whatsoever of any smudging, scratching, or paint weirdnesses on the frets.

The only downside is, Vinyl paint comes in a handful of colors. But black is the only one I care about…

tl;dr

(just kidding, pretty cool looking!)

Sweet shirt too.

It’s amazing how well large flakes pick up the light. This was taken in my office with only two highly directional desk flourescent lamps going, very low light conditions.

Some different color faceplates I have going…

Note that the white is iridescent, it shifts from green to gold. Very dramatic!

And the pink one for my wife, by request…

A belated Valentine’s day gift to my wife-- the Hello Kitty pink metal flake Les Paul.

FABULOUS

Here’s my guitar with a similar metal flake finish, natch. Red came out kick ass.

I built a gloss white faceplate with iridescent blue/green particles that came out really incredible, too. I am able to buff and polish these things to a high sheen so they look really pro.

Oh hell, I actually built about ten flaked-out faceplates, so I guess I should start selling these things on eBay.

I think Sluggo has earned one… I’ll PM him.

Christ, that’s a lot of flake. :)