Mom of the year?

http://www.wflxfox29.com/Global/story.asp?S=8299028&nav=2JWi

It’s like I always say, you need a license to fish, but they’ll let any butthugging moron become a parent.

Am I too cynical if I think this mother is just as bad?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/05/09/18kids.ap/index.html

I think so. I saw the show(s?) on them, and despite having a shitton of kids, it seemed pretty obvious that there’s lots of love in that family and pretty normal in every way.

Okay, so I would have expected better from a teacher, and violence isn’t always a super-great solution, and driving the child specifically to take part in a fight is kind of a dick move, but to be charged with multiple counts of child abuse? I don’t know about that.

Butthugging?

No but you are a bigot.

You may not agree for whatever reason with the decision to have that many children but the Dugger kids are clearly very nice, well adjusted kids.

My grandmother had 18 kids (as a result I naturally have an incredibly large family that will eventually take over the world). Family’s great; only one single divorce out of all my aunts and uncles, all my cousins are well adjusted, no problems with the law, jail time, etc. Most/all are college educated/in the military, have good jobs, kids of their own now.

While some people may be prejudiced against larger families, large family does not automatically equal poor parenting.

I like that the dad’s name is Jim Bob.

A bigot? Heh. Your assumption is interesting. How was I being bigoted? Or do you just mean biased, in the loose way, because ‘bigot’ has a whole different connotation.

I never said anything about the kids. But yeah, I don’t agree with the decision to have that many.

Also, I was seriously asking if I was being too cynical, so ‘bigot’ seems a bit extreme.

Keanu Reeves said that, too, so you’re in good company.

Having small families is a modern thing.

Yeah, I don’t get why people jump all over the people with 18 kids in Arkansas. They aren’t on public assistance or anything like that, they are doing it on their own. And, as Athryn points out, it wasn’t that long ago that having a bunch of kids was the norm.

Just because most of us have different ideas now doesn’t mean we are right and they are wrong. It’s sadly gotten to the point where we assume that a lot of kids means poor people.

The world has too many people already.

Yep, with electricity. What’s your point?

And Sarkus, I never assumed they were poor. Where are you guys getting all this stuff from what I said? Is it just based on other conversations you’ve had with people on this issue? A lot is being attributed to a flippant comment I was making about people having tons of kids.

I don’t know how flippant it came across, if that was your point. You equated a woman who has chosen to have 18 kids with her husband and can support them with a woman who aided and abetted a schoolyard brawl involving her own daughter. There’s a huge difference between the two.

As for the reference of them not being poor, I was just pointing it out because that’s the first thing a lot of people think when they see large families like that. It’s also an issue that’s come up when that particular family has been discussed in the past, including here on QT3. If we’re going down the path of debating whether large families are good or bad, I’m laying the groundwork for my position.

You implied that she was somehow a bad parent. Do you have anything to back up why, exactly, having a lot of kids makes you a bad parent? I’m just not seeing it here.

For those of you who think it’s just hunky-dory for a family to have 18 kids as long as they can afford them, do you feel the same way about people who drive Hummers and can afford the gasoline?

A Hummer will never cure cancer.

In our current society, sure.

What’s more important: getting people to stop wasting resources or getting populations under control? And what’s the bigger (and therefore more immediate) concern: a rare family in the US that has 18 kids or massive overpopulation in places like Africa?

My point is that having a “kid limit” in the US doesn’t solve the problem in Sudan or Nigeria or India.

The other Duggar children, in between Joshua and Jennifer, are Jana, 18; John-David, 18; Jill, 16; Jessa, 15; Jinger, 14; Joseph, 13; Josiah, 11; Joy-Anna, 10; Jeremiah, 9; Jedidiah, 9; Jason, 7; James, 6; Justin, 5; Jackson, 3; and Johannah, 2

Sorry, but that’s clearly child abuse.