Monitor blinking on and off--WTF is happening?

I know it sounds crazy, but after trying different troubleshooting, deleting & re-installing drivers, etc. I decided to try swapping out my HDMI cable, and WALLA, it worked! The cable I was using was new but apparently my system didn’t like the cable I had, and a replacement (used) was the ticket! no more flickering! Yay!

I’ve had a few bad HDMI cables, mostly the ones that you get when you buy 5 for like $15 bundles.

I’ve switched over to more reliable stuff now that I am running 4k, and have had no issues since.

Welcome to the forums @rentonguy

Maybe he’s a viral marketeer for Fry’s.

This has been happening to me with a 1070 and a newish monitor.

I think it’s probably the video card /cable as the flickering only seems to happen while in 3d games.

Thanks for the ideas.

well here i am, having a brand new monitor flash black then back on randomly, only while in game. Sometimes 4 seconds apart, sometimes 10 minutes apart or more. Everything is updated, all drivers updated. My old monitor didnt do this.

Did you drill the requisite holes in the monitor yet?

Heh, make sure your audience understands that that’s a jokey allusion to a bizarre thread of yesteryear! With a smiley at least… :-)

As soon as he’s done gnawing on his hand.

Double-check the connections. Unplug and replug the power, HDMI/Displayport, etc. cables. If you have multiple ports, try a different one.

Otherwise, if it’s a brand-new monitor, it may be defective.

What @J_Thomas said, plus try a different signal cable between the graphics card and the monitor.

This is actually a big deal. You figure that the cable is fine, but it just doesn’t work right with a new part.

I prefer to go naked/commando and without smileys.