Monolith saves gamers from crappy F.E.A.R. sequels

I loved the original’s intense, brutal combat and clever enemies (if you didn’t play on hard you are, um, probably sane, but still FAIL) despite the repetitive generic environments and enemies.

We can talk about this yet again but the fact that Monolith isn’t going that direction tells me they have good reasons not to.

Let it go. :-)

I thought the reason they weren’t going in that direction was because at least part of the franchise was owned by Sierra.

Which is why I brought this up a few posts back: If I’m right about that being the case, it would make a lot of sense for NOLF to have been part of the same transaction where Monolith bought the FEAR IP back.

Am I wrong? Was NOLF not tied up with Sierra?

Well… you’re half-right at least.

I agree with Zylon. The two NOLF games were uttastic.

Well, except that it would be extra money and could be pursued later in another transaction. I don’t see why they’d have to be linked.

(Hope I’m not dousing anyone’s hopes here!)

I’m not saying they’d have to be linked. I’m saying it would make a lot of sense if they were.

But what I’m really asking is if anyone knows anything. And so far, it seems like that answer is no.

I just thought it was because they don’t sell well.

I know that Monolith would love to do another NOLF game though, if they they could justify it.

Actually Monolith did work with Timegate on the first expansion - they’ve described it as a joint effort. I suspect what they mean by that is “Hey, here are our assets. Oh, and here’s how to make an FPS, since this is your first.”

What I’ve played of the two suggests that memo wasn’t comprehensive. Still, Monolith can’t entirely wash their hands of the FEAR expansions, and haven’t suggested they wish to as far as I’ve seen.

“Out, damn’d expandalone!”

I have no new knowledge to add to this question, but what was blocking the sale of the FEAR name before was the active development of a new FEAR game at Vivendi - now presumed dead. If it didn’t make commercial sense for Monolith to pay the standard “Stop squatting on our IP” price for the NOLF name before, I doubt it does now.

Looking through the trademark office, it appears that Fox got the rights to No One lives Forever and Cate Archer in 2003. So that might be a little more complex.

I really think the title of this thread should have been…

“The only thing we have to F.E.A.R. is F.E.A.R. itself.”

…but I’m a geek.

-Mink-

Aha, so it was Fox, not Sierra, and I did remember incorrectly. So yeah, that does complicate things.