Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate: Quarpurr to Three Thread

I mean if cat puns are gonna bother you this is the wrong game for you.

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is the English localization of Monster Hunter XX Switch Version, which was a Switch port of the 3DS game Monster Hunter XX, which was an expanded version of Monster Hunter X, which is basically a greatest hits of Monster Hunters past that was created to fill time between the Monster Hunter 4 series and Monster Hunter World and was released outside of Japan as Monster Hunter Generations. Monster Hunter XX had not been released in English before this so we’re getting an upgrade to Generations and a Switch port in one. Makes sense? Cool.

Number one tip for everyone getting into Monster Hunter: check Gaijin Hunter’s youtube channel. That dude is alright and his weapon tutorials are great at showing you just how much you didn’t know about each weapon while making them all look super fun.

If you’ve only played World and now you want some portable monhun action to go along with it, here’s some tips because man this game explains even less than World does:

Two quest boards! There’s a quest board in villages and a quest board at the Hunter’s Hub. These are different. Completing quests at the Hub is what will raise your hunter rank. This is also where you’ll do online play (but online is not required, you can solo these quests). All of the villages (there’s only one village at the start) share a common quest board. Those quests won’t raise your HR but are still worth doing because they will unlock a lot of nice stuff, like fancier foods you can eat to raise stats before a quest and exclusive armor and weapons.

There are actually 2 quest boards in World, so the Hunter’s Hub in Gen is kinda like that airship meeting area in World except in World you kinda never have to use that so a lot of people ignore it.

Uh, more tips later maybe? Let me know if I’m just typing to myself or if anyone else here is playing :)

Ameowzon was meant to ship my copy on release day but didn’t yet. So I will be playing but not for a few days - though I am still playing World as well so not too upset. :)

I’d be felying if I said I have any idea what I’m doing so far in MHGU, but I’m super excited to dig into it. I mentioned this briefly in the MHW thread, but aside from dipping my toe into MH3U for the wii u, world is the first MH game that’s grabbed me. And grabbed me it has! Over 300 hours on the PS4 and nearly 50 on the PC.

Booting up generations was a weird experience. I was immediately struck by two seemingly opposite sensations: 1. man, this shit is weird and different; and 2. so much seems familiar.

Very encouraged by how the weapons perform. I’m hoping there isn’t a huge skillgap I need to cross, though the controls are a bit different. And wow, there seems to be soo much to do. And so many of the systems seem deeper (styles/arts to name two). I feel like i’ll be playing this game for a long, long time.

Thanks for starting the thread! Was worried there wasn’t going to be one.

Yes! Love this guy and his channel.

I picked this up today. I’ve tried to play MH on 3DS, but bounced off it due to the crap controls. Passed on MHW, since I don’t really like playing this kind of game on PC. So far, its been pretty fun. I just wish that there was a way to change the default controls. Also, the red highlighted text is awful for my colorblindness, and more often than not blends into the background.

There are some control settings you can fiddle with in the options. I swapped the shoulder buttons to make charge blade feel a little more like World, but it’s not perfect because now I run with R2 instead of R. Still, I’m feeling good about the controls after a couple days.

Last night I did a few of the hunter rank 3 quests and they were a real step up, both in intensity and just how cool the monsters are. Nobody is going to argue that this is a great looking game, but Mizutsune is really impressive looking and much better than any other monster I’ve seen so far. I think that one was added in Generations so maybe some extra work went into it as opposed to the rest of the cast being imports from older games, but yeah that was a really cool fight. It takes place in an area I’ve been to a dozen times at this point but they added a cool night time full moon effect that I really liked.

This game gettin’ good.

Same here. If it helps, I’ve had non colorblind people tell me it’s just as bad for them. So, yay us?

These are pawful. I love it!

Oh wow, you can do that? I absolutely need to do this. I’m playing on the tablet and that little extra effort to reach R1 is a pain. I was hoping you could change it around.

Yep, it’s pretty nice. The one thing I’d ask for if I could would be an option to use the dpad buttons to scroll through the active item list instead of L+(Y/A) thing. But I’m overall I’m pretty happy with the controls now that I can use my pro controller instead of the 3DS.

Also, just found this super handy website that is way better than any of the crummy wikis you’ll get when you google stuff about the game: https://mhgu.kiranico.com

Yeah Generations was a bit of an odd duck after 4U, they kind of did away with the traditional basic story progression (like was re-instated in World) in favour of a more open thing.

I think it makes it a little harder to get into initially, but there’s certainly no shortage of content!

Is it just me, or are these controls waaaay more clunky than world? I can’t quite put my finger on why that is yet, but I’m really struggling with the camera/controls. I’ve whiffed with my strikes more in the opening hours of this game than the entirety of my time in world. Guess it’s just something I need to get used to.

I wouldn’t say clunky, no. World definitely adds some fluidity to it by allowing you to do things like adjust direction mid combo. Generations excels at doing the thing they are trying to do here which is just a slightly different thing that what World is doing. This is a game about learning your weapon and then committing to attacks. Early on I was definitely whiffing a lot more than I did in World but after a few days I’ve been getting more consistent about making contact with weak points and it’s been really satisfying.

Oh cool, that’s encouraging then. Just curious, what weapon are you primarily using? I’m trying switch-axe for the first time and that may be part of my problem. Talk about committing to attacks!

I played charge blade in World so I decided to try that here. At first I thought maybe that would actually make it harder to jump between games but it seems like long time MH players who have used the same weapon for years seem to do OK with it. So far I’m just using guild style and it’s not far off from World. Really looking forward to trying out valor and adept, though.

Still haven’t tried switch axe but it looks like my kind of weapon.

I played the demo and tried the charge blade. I was pleasantly surprised by how similar it “felt” to fight monsters. Acknowledging that many of the QoL changes from World won’t be present, I’m very seriously considering picking it up as something to play on the go.

I had a very similar reaction to the demo. Guild style CB in Generations is very similar to World, though I do miss the sword charge. The ability to apply elemental damage on all attacks is really nice but mostly I just like that animation.

But! Combat in Generations can be pretty amazing. I haven’t tried aerial style out yet but man this just looks cool. Won’t be doing that in World anytime soon :)

Also, this game is great. Trying out valor charge blade for the first time and I think I like it. Not being able to use axe until you charge the valor meter is tough but that invincibility and dash are so good.

Finally found my weapon: Great Sword. It’s something I barely touched in world, but I’m having a blast with it in generations. I messed around with the switch axe, went back to the charge blade for a while, but I’ve found my groove with the great sword. I’m almost 20 hours in now, and I love this game.

That’s awesome. I tried great sword early on but just couldn’t get the timing down. Maybe I should give it another try now that I have a better feel for how the monsters move.

Which style are you using? I stayed with guild style cb for a while in Generations because it was the closest to World, but Valor style is crazy fun. I find myself getting knocked out slightly more than usual because I just get so overconfident, but now it just makes me laugh at how dumb I was for ignoring my health bar. I mean you get to be invincible! Kind of.

Still using guild style, but will be messing around with other styles soon (starting with valor!). It’s taken me this long to be halfway decent with great sword guild style, and I’m starting to have a lot of fun with it, so I’ve been slow to adopt a new style.

Great sword in generations is pretty basic. Unlike in world where you have that multi-purpose tackle to get you around and setup combos/charges, in generations you’re basically just running around with your weapon sheathed until you see an opening, and then you sprint toward the monster and hit it with a draw attack followed up with a charged attack. Very simple, but the timing is everything, and when you land a fully charged followup it’s amazing the amount of damage you do. Very gratifying. Super easy to cut tails too, obviously.

Just killed the Melfisto (sp?) and that was a pretty awesome fight. I hope world will adopt some of these crazy monster mechanics.

Another thing about generations and portability. Aside from a binge over the long weekend, I’ve mainly been playing generations on my breaks and lunches, and on my commute home. And I totally see why MH is such a big deal in Japan. It’s the perfect portable game. Even the otherwise boring gathering quests are fine when seen in the context of a short 15 minute break.

Monster fights seem calibrated to fit perfectly into a 20 or 40 minute commute. It’s kind of a shame the handheld thing didn’t really take off in major cities in the US like it did in Japan.

I would love to pop on the subway and see the entire car with their switches out, killing monsters.