Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate: Quarpurr to Three Thread

Yes. Having the sword go “CH-UH-UNK” into the shield was awesome.

For a while i figured i just forgot the combination to do it, but i guess it’s just not in this game, which is sad.

Yeah I was bummed about that until I tried valor and aerial style and I was like world shmerld.

So like, after playing this game nearly everyday since it came out I think I should know this by now, but…

How does progression work? The village quests seem to be their own thing, got that. The hub quests seem to be their own thing (and how you raise your HR) got that. And then somewhere down the line there is G rank. But what I’m unsure of … is there like a high rank anywhere? At some point during the village quests does high rank show up like in world? Or is that exclusive to the hub? Is there a high rank version of the hub?

High rank starts at 4* in hub quests. I’m not sure about village, though. I don’t think there are many high rank quests for village.

How does the game determine what armor I can craft? Is it like, I see a Jaggi for the first time, the smithy knows how to make the Jaggi armor?

Every piece of equipment has one of its components marked as the unlock component. As soon as you have one of them in your inventory it unlocks at the smith. Once unlocked they won’t disappear even if you spend all of that material.

The game doesn’t tell you which piece is the unlock piece but you can find it on the wiki.

That explains it. I had three pieces of the Rhenoplos set unlocked but not the other two because I hadn’t yet found a scalp. That concept seems to be completely absent from the Internet, though – I googled the hell out of it and came up empty.

Thank you!

I have no experience with Monster Hunter besides MHW recently on PC. I love the former and am going to be picking up MHGU on the Switch.

How jarring is it going to be for me to go back to a previous game in the series, after starting with World?

Not as jarring as if you hadn’t, but… jarring. Its simpler in design and look. Lot of QoL stuff in MHW.

That said, still a cool game

It’s basically- you arrive at the camp. A dude says “go out and do the things.” You pick weapons and talk to a few people, then its straight to missions. Not fun ones, though. Nope you gotta go capture bugs first. Then you move up from there.

You also get to fight a lot more types of stuff since it has like everything they ever designed pre-World.

All of those gathering quests are optional. The first quest I did in Generations was the Great Maccao fight.

I think I said this earlier in the thread but I’m too lazy to scroll up so here’s the short version: I actually think playing World helped because I knew what to expect and how MonHun works. GU is a great game but it does not even try to onboard new players. I’m sure if someone tried to get me to play this last year I would have put it down after a couple hours.

Oof. I didn’t have much time with it, but yeah it’s a little bit rough of a transition. I only had about 30 minutes, just enough time to do the exhilarating quest of gathering Unique Herbs. Most of that time was spent wondering where they came from… the name led me to believe it was a unique type of plant. Whoops.

In any case, the controls feel very stiff and clunky, but I share push on!

Just push through the boring crap in the beginning. Once you get to the point where you’re hunting actual monsters, it’s cool again.

That’s my plan, I’m not too concerned. I’m oldschool enough that I remember the “kill rats in the sewer” stage of games very well. :) Right now I think the hardest things for me to get used to are the stiff controls and all those loading screens. Those are both just acclimation issues, though, so no big deal.

Since I’m almost exclusively a PC gamer, one rude awakening (“reminder” is probably more accurate) I had was when I tried to join a multiplayer session and was prompted to pony up for internet access on the Switch. From where I’m coming from, paying per month to be able to play games with people over the internet is so absurd. I don’t know how people let Microsoft get away with it, but alas, that battle is long since lost!

Ya, lots of loading screens is kind of annoying, but at least the loading screens are fast. Jarring, but not really major issues.

In terms of paying to do multiplayer, ya, both Sony and MS have been doing this for years… At least the Nintendo system is cheap (although you also get less).

They are a plant unique to that region! I guess. I don’t know, thats how it made sense to me.

Also, again, none of the quests that ask you to collect ten things or kill 20 small monsters are required. If you’re trudging through them to get to the good stuff just skip them. I usually save that stuff for later when I want to half ignore a tv show.

What @Mike_Cathcart said. Skip the boring shit. It’s still monster hunter, so pick the quests where you kill monsters, lol. None of that early shit is necessary. Also (and this is something I just found out after like 50 hours) make sure you go and download the “starter packs” from the DLC main menu. I had a bunch of starter packs that were free, and you get soooooooooooo many items (potions, mats, armor cores, etc.). It makes the gather quests doubly pointless.

Stick with it and it’ll feel less clunky. Speaking as someone who initially felt the clunk.

I might have to put this off until I can hook my Switch up to the TV again. The new player experience in this is pretty wretched, even with having at least some exposure to concepts via MHW. I think trying to play it on a small screen with the joycons is just adding to the frustration at the moment!

This is currently 50% off on the eShop, so I decided to jump in, and have played a few hours and just unlocked 2*. There sure are a lot of interlocking systems to get to grips with here! Enjoying it so far – have just been trying each weapon type for a couple of missions and seeing what works. If anyone is still playing and wants to try online, hit me up.