Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch and PC

You can solo the MP missions, but they’re harder than the solo missions. Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought difficulty of the MP missions did scale with the number of players. Maybe scaling starts at 2 people?

Admittedly I’m not sure exactly how they scale, since I only ever really play solo in any MH game. A lot of the time the MP missions are just clones of the SP ones anyway (or vice versa).

Heck that’s not the case here.
First, the solo content is easier. Far easier. I don’t think you’ll be in danger of dying once, excepting with some of the weirdo event missions.
SP missions also don’t feature half the monsters available in multiplayer. Can’t really speak of variety as, after all, it’s always “pummel this thing and get loot”.
To get you an idea, you’ll probably get weapons to level about 1/4-1/3 the tree if playing solo content to the end. The rest has to be done in MP.

MP itself is harder, but not overwhelmingly so (it’s High Rank, Not G Rank, one hit kills are rare - although there are some). The issue in solo is time, since you can’t dish the adequate damage (unless, of course, you’re fighting a low ranked monster with end game gear, doh!). And the more players, the faster a monster will go down: there is no contest.

Well, that’s a series of extremely stupid and infuriating design decisions.

The Aristocrats MonHunDevs!

I’ve just tried to look up info on MP scaling in MHR, and excepting people echoing capcom’s pre launch trailer (“it’s better than ever! it’s so smooth!”), couldn’t find a single info about reliable scaling, excepting guys trying to status monsters and seeing it not scaling with the number of players (meaning it happens as quickly alone as in a 4 player party: you’ll see this a lot in MP, as the monsters will get tons of bad status in the first 5 minutes, then pretty much none to the end of the fight).
From my extensive MP experience and the few times I tried solo MP at various points, the later is clearly not the way the game is meant to be played.

Isn’t this the case in World as well?

I can’t say about later content, especially Iceborn, but for early on, I could play solo World without any issue.
Trying to beat the first MP mission with early gear solo in Rise was an endurance test, and I was happy to complete it once before timeout :O

When you played Rise or MHGU, did you play any solo missions? Or just only the MP?

Because by the time I start to solo the MP missions, I’m geared up a bit from getting through all the solo missions first.

Admittedly I’m no expert on that side, being mainly solo and rarely finishing these games. :)

oh I completed both SP 100%. MHGU’s was huge, while Rise’s was a bit short in a way. MHGU’s was much more challenging: some of the later High Ranked SP MHGU missions are as challenging as some of the High Ranked MP ones.
Solo MP even at G Rank is very doable in MHGU (it’s actually how I play most of the time now that my group, sadly, is dedicated to World, until Rise G Rank Expansion releases I am guessing).
In MP G Rank the lack of targets make you a sad, sad little being against Variants, or in Arena fights for instance. The monsters’ health scaled to the number of players (I think it even might have even been growing exponentially, which caused some players to complain?), but monsters had thankfully much less base health than in World or Rise. After playing so much MP Rise, it was actually surprising to see G Rank MHGU monsters go down that quickly… When they didn’t wipe the floor with me, that is!

I may be mistaken, but I also think the gear is much less important in MHGU than in Rise and possibly World: High Rank gear will take you well into G-Rank, as there were much less skills on each pieces.

This thread confirms what my son told me about Rise on the switch. SP was too easy (he was pretty good at World and I think even MGHU), and way too much was limited to MP which he had no interest in. He has no intention of looking at the expansion/DLC unless that changes.

He apparently had 100+ hours in MGHU. He completed Rise SP in 10.

I have yet to boot it up (but it’s installed!) but this is how I understand it:

The Village Quests given by Hinoa:

• are the Story missions
  • only solo content (unlike World).
  • “Low Rank”. I don’t think any of the high rank material is here at all.

Hunter Hub “Multiplayer-only” quests = Gathering Hub in MHWorld.

• All the tougher missions/monsters = “high rank” are only in this part.
  • Monster strength autoscales dynamically with number of players currently in the mission (including if that number changes during the hunt with people joining/leaving - unlike World).
  • You can restrict your lobby to prevent other people from joining making it 1-player “multiplayer” hunts.
  • Your hunter rank here is separate from the Village so you start with low rank monsters all over again here, but there are some exam quests that let you skip ahead (I think you need to finish all the Village quests though).
  • Plenty of monsters are hunter hub only, including the final boss

I guess the village quests are like a tutorial for the hunter hub which is the full game?

Upon further reading from various sources, maybe playing Hub missions solo is more doable than thought. Folks are saying it’ll take ~30min for a fight initially due to crap gear, but over time you’ll be back to the normal 10-15min hunts. Scaling for 1 player does exist.

Some of the content apparently overlaps between Village and Hub missions, but you can ‘graduate’ past the copy pasta to the new stuff relatively easily…

I think in my son’s case, because of the overlap between Village and Hub missions early on, he thought Hub missions were all duplicates and never went further. So thanks everyone for making us realize he still has a lot of game left to go back to.

Is it required to complete these solo missions in order to access all the multiplayer content?

I’m stuck at the audio output device. Does the game consider a simple Logitech 2.1 system to be PC monitor speakers or bookshelf speakers? They don’t literally mean speakers attached to a monitor, do they?

I think so, as i remember i had to go back to some solo content to make some mp one available. But it was a breeze.

I’ve only played single player (I need to be able to pause due to kids). I’ve beaten almost every 6 and 7 star hub quest and all prior ones. I have not once even seen the 10 minute warning message, and I haven’t been min maxing gear either until I beat the final boss.

Most missions I easily beat 25ish minutes solo fwiw.

That’s what capcom said, but nobody provided any proof of this.

The early monsters in mp got lots more health buff (especially since some later ones don’t exist in SP), but it’s a freaking bother and grind to play that way.

How do you know there is one, then ;D

I assume it’s like world. I have seen it there haha.

Congrats btw, because it took me over twice that time to reach the end of the game (but I wasnt focusing on any one weapon, that’s a bad weakness)