Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch and PC

I beat narwa at 60 hours iirc. I changed weapons a bunch during low rank, though high rank was mostly switch axe then lance due to being terribly strapped for cash.

Of course just yesterday I realized I had 400k zenny worth of eggs in my inventory that I never sold, so I might go play around with more weapons again

Installed and ready to rock. Just gotta wait for work to finish!

I mostly played long sword on the Switch version, not sure what I’ll do this time. Maybe lance.

Thanks! Any recollection of how much SP content to get through, hour-wise? Just wondering if it’s one of those things I’m going to have to invest hours into before I can just play with friends.

You can access multiplayer almost immediately, after the initial intro/village exploration bit.

Not sure how far you can go before you need to do this single-player unlock stuff, if any…

My sense from this conversation (and thanks for the input everyone) is that if I’m going to play SP only it may be a good idea to wait for a sale, so that’s what I’ll do.

Never underestimate the hardcore monster hunter nerds. I never knew this, but each quest gets things set up individually and there’s a whole database on Kiranico!

Village

Rathian: 3960HP

Hub

1P: 7470-7740 (depending on where it spawns?!)
2P: 10,458-10,836
3P: 13,894 HP-14,396 HP
4P: 16,434 HP-17,028 HP

Monster Hunter is one of the best games to play with randoms, though, along with Deep Rock Galactic. You get together for one hunt, it goes smooth or goes to shit, but twenty or so minutes later it’s all over for good or ill. I have a bit over 200 hours in World, and probably half of that was just seeing who needed help with a quest on the board and pitching in. Loved it all.

Oh I didn’t know they had listed the estimate for MP!
Explains why it feels like such a pain solo versus 2 players.
I’m curious how this is supposed to work if somebody disconnects though.

Especially if you are into supporting classes, like sword and shield and lance. It’s a game within the game to try to get those guys not killing themselves XD

I always feel ashamed that I’m letting the side down whenever I try online hunts! The other guys just swarm and I’m left scratching my head. :)

Well that clears it up. Thank you!

My experience in World was mixed, to put it mildly. At least there are comparatively few avenues for real griefing, and I did have some positive experiences, but as with anything involving random people it’s a crapshoot and the bad experiences stick with you for a long time.

To each their own of course, but I’ll stick to solo and play with friends.

I think in 200 hours, I only witnessed a dick move once in Rise. It’s really walled to prevent any of those. Also the overwhelming Japanese presence sure helps.

The Switch crowd may also be a different cross-section than the PC crowd, and certainly the early adopters will be different than the long tail.

I must say, after months of complaining, the jump to lance-dash transition move not working with B configuration of buttons has been fixed! Hurray!

Tip for people too, I resisted the hunting helpers for a while because it wasn’t obvious to me what they do and I didn’t want to bother. This was a mistake.

Especially on the harder hunts, using a stinkmink to drag one monster to the other so they fight and riding the first that becomes ride able allows you to do a good amount of damage. You can usually do this multiple times per fight too.

Also, there is a strategy to monster riding which took me a while to figure out. When you have two monsters attacking each other, you have two options depending on if the target monster becomes ridable first.

If the target monster becomes ridable first, you want to wall ram him until you run out of wirebugs, and then ram him into the other monster. This will make the other monster ridable and so you can ride that one and do more damage to the target monster

Conversely, if the non-target monster becomes ridable, then you want to attack the monster as much as you can before the timer runs out, then do a ram into the target monster to make him ridable. Then ride the target monster and ram him into walls for damage.

Hey all, PSA time! The just released Nvidia 511.23 drivers, explicitly released with MHR optimisations, tanked my framerate.

I hadn’t really played yet, creating a toon and messing around a bit in the training area and doing the first mission, but with more or less maxxed settings on a 3090 (150% in-game-scaling and native 4K, most post-process at max, no DOF, no Motion Blur) was getting solid 120FPS (locked in-game).

After the 511.23 update, stuck at 30-40 fps. Rolling back to 427.29 and rebooting resolved.

I didn’t have an issue with the driver update on the old 2080ti. I did experience one instance so far where the frame rate suddenly dropped, but toggling full screen fixed that. Apart from that, it seems to run the same.

The annoying issue I do have, unrelated to drivers, is that the game does not remember my resolution and ‘full screen HDR’ setting. I have to set those every time I start the game up.

I’m having a ton of fun because I’ve decided this is the game where I’m going to try all the weapons. I only used 4 of them in World so I have a lot of new stuff to experience. The easy monsters work well because I’m just there to try to land the combos. The low time-to-kill is fine too because I can simply hunt the other monsters on the map and have plenty of time leftover for the main target, at least so far.

The game respects the player’s time, up to the very end — even the extra ultra mega extra monsters are surprisingly quickly dispatched, but only with the proper team and strategy, otherwise they last for a long while. Nothing like what I’ve seen from Iceborne.
We ain’t got G rank yet though!

My 3080 is fine after the update