Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch and PC

Yeah, I told her all about that when I was playing World but she still doesn’t want to beat up on them. They’re just pixels!!!

There was definitely an ‘are we the baddies?’ conversation!

Rise’s demo is pretty grim on that front, with the lack of capture, the angry dog and the crazy pace of sword swinging with a lot of weapons.

The Mizutsune fights back quite well though.

Monster Hunter still stands out as one of, if not the best, online co-op experiences I have ever had. I came in at MHtri on the Wii and it was a blast. I tried the demo for Rise last night and I am pretty excited to have an advanced, yet still portable Monster Hunter.

However…

It sounds like there will be no way to do voice chat in Monster Hunter Rise. Not even the funky Switch phone app thing is going to work. I guess this is another fatality of Japan users being able to do local co-op or something. Even before the pandemic, western world gamers all mancave to each other via the internet. It really is a downer as MH really excels with communication and I can’t see it being the same thing with relying on emotes and sticker expressions. Am I wrong? Is there going to be some way to do voice chat? Monster Hunter just isn’t the same without @merryprankster in my ear cheering on a good full charge GS hit or yelling, “Chap, STOP monster farming” when I stop for some a blue mushroom or honey.

This is why most of us are trolling each others on Discord, I thought.

How does that work though? I have discord on my phone, but won’t the audio splash over from the TV? I saw a YouTube video where a somewhat complicated running of the Switch and discord through a PC was used, but my PC is far from the Switch and intended TV. It would be really nice to have a blended audio (game and voice chat) like basically every other system has. I was hoping they would do a Fortnite type setup, but it would seem not. They are going full old school.

I confess to having hunted down some pieces of audio hardware on eBay to achieve a suboptimal mono mix with my phone.

I don’t have this myself… but I think you can do this:

Homespot 5.0 Audio Adapter Pro for Switch. This lets your switch send BT audio, plus it supports aptX low latency format (you will be a sad panda if you don’t get low latency support). It also allows for connection to your phone and headphones simultaneously.

Wireless headphones that support aptX. One model worth checking out: Audio Technica ATH-M50x

The Homespot option looks like it could maybe work. It seems like a slam dunk for someone using the Switch in handheld. I plan to leave the Switch docked most of the time and it looks like you have to use the mic on the Homespot device. Thus using it docked would not work well where a mic is needed (such as also using discord on a phone for voice chat) since the dock would be several feet away by the TV with Homespot plugged in via the USB adapter. Plus it is a $250ish solution since I don’t have aptX headphones. I do really like the direction of this solution, I just don’t think it quite fully works for my intended use.

At this point I am debating getting a high quality/ noise cancelling Bluetooth earpiece. This means I might be able to just have one ear tied to phone discord while playing the game as normal (with voice enabled via the earpiece). In other words, I would be doing a time leap back to 2007. But…Nintendo gotta Nintendo. This might even be exactly the crazy solution I had back in Monster Hunter Tri days with using the Wii for game and PS3/ bluetooth ear piece for party chat.

Lol…to be fair there were numerous recorded incidents of monster farming…

Maybe we are back to the glory days of needing two consoles to play a Monster Hunter game.

Ah, good catch. I didn’t realize that there is no option to use the mic on the headphones instead of the one on the adapter.

Seems like a real oversight unless the BT mic data from the headphones to the adapter somehow overwhelms the adapter.

It will be fun when Nintendo releases the “Super Switch” or whatever it’s called, with the exact same problem.

YESYESYES

It sounds super preliminary and it’s (over?) a year away but glad to hear there’s more monster hunter coming for the PC master race. All the new types of monsters in Rise look great.

I hope they mash up all the content into a MHW: Rise Ultimate edition somehow, just to be able to hunt everything under one hood, but I’d be happy with just a straight port too.

The interview was for watch impress, not ign. Amazing, the guts of that news site.

Also the PC mention was an addendum, which is weird and probably means this leaked from elsewhere and Capcom is trying to get back in control?

Rumours of Rise on PC was originally leaked from the big Capcom cyber ransom hack in November last year.

The original link I saw was from some random website so I googled it to confirm the news. Then I picked IGN at random. The text of the article says they told IGN Japan the news directly. It was probably one of those assembly line interviews where they make a couple key personnel available and the games journalists come through and ask their questions. Of course they all asked about the PC version.

Wirebugs still seem goofy to me and I think I hate them, but at least it’s not clutch claw?

The wirebug gives a lot of fun movement options both outside and in combat vs the chore of needing to clutch in order to overcome a damage penalty.
I’ve spent a not-insignificant amount time with the demo, so I have high hopes that feeling will carry over to the full release.

So I pre-ordered this on the strength of the demo played with my friends and I’m really looking forward to the full thing at the end of the month. I tried the heavy bowgun(?), furry banana hammer dude and… I think I left it at that for my own sanity. I loved the look of the uh, gunlance-thing and the horn-instrument.

As someone who’s new to Monster Hunter, if Rise is playing itself then holy shit! It has one of the most arcane and unintuitive control schemes I’ve ever encountered, and I completed Star Fox Zero recently and enjoyed the heck out of The Wonderful 101. Once I started getting better with the controls I really warmed to its structure and style but it’s a really unfriendly game to newcomers.

I hope with the full release they add invert gyro as a separate option because right now Y invert affects both the thumbstick and gyro, and I really don’t need it on the gyro so it ruins one or the other.

To be fair, so do I. At least in Evolve the monsters were nasty and played by horrible human beings. Definitely getting more Shadow of the Colossus vibes from these beautiful creatures.

That app is so fucking useless. I play quite a few Switch multiplayer games online with friends and we always have to use the Discord app which often sounds crap and disconnects. I play Splatoon 2 which does work with the Nintendo app but I’ll be damned if I know how it improves the voice chat experience.

Discord is pretty good at not feeding back other people’s audio but I basically have to turn my audio system down so I can hear my phone, and listening to my friends through a shitty phone speaker next to me is just awful. I’ve tried a Bluetooth speaker with built-in mic but that sometimes doesn’t work. Depends on how Discord is feeling. That’s my preferred Switch voice chat ‘set up’ but it’s all Nintendo bollocks, quite frankly.

Think of it as the first step towards your walk towards the summit of greatness that MHGU on the Switch is ^-^/

My own voice chat involves a 20 year old M-Audio mixer to mix in mono the switch output and my computer’s discord into my headphones. It involves about 5 or 6 extra cables. It involved months and months of tracking the right quality of hardware and cables.
I never could make use of it because @Chappers never played again with me, blaming his defect on his family. What a British fellow!