Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch and PC

Hey now - you don’t know how bad I am at MHW :)

I meant about his assessment of older MH, not about your skills!

All we really know is that it uses World-style open maps, rather than the discrete zones of the older games, with more emphasis on quickly going vertical.

I do doubt they’ll go back to making you carry picks, nets, etc.

Any particular aspects of the classic games you are hoping to see? :)

This is literally the only thing I care about. While I’ve played some MHGU, I haven’t progressed enough to notice any difference between it and MHW (which I completed) as far as combat itself is concerned. But oh my god I’d be lying if I said that I’m not constantly accidentally zoning to a new area during encounters. It’s my one complaint about the game.

I was wondering about the “open world”. It felt like larger maps, but not necessarily an open world? I understand I am in the minority of people who really love the old “arena” style split rooms (it makes everything just less confusing to me).
Speaking of confusing, I love the simpler graphics of classic, and they seem to have gone for that here, although the game looks quite a bit drab compared to GU.

Watching World, I also dearly missed the annoying Palico backnoise. It’s one of the first thing that annoyed me in MH 15 years ago, but Palico being balls of noise and stress is just part of the stress relief and fun of the game. I also liked the grunting, no speech but gibberish atmosphere of the earlier games: it made it feel like this was a quite primitive and fighting for survival human society, but a slightlly comical one at it still. It seems this one may have voice acting, sadly.

As for stuff from the classic, I actually hope there will be picks and nets and stuff: one of the decisions was to bring those and be greedy, or to bring more monster pestering or party boosting items.
Of course this only mattered in multiplayer.

I also hope the slower pace and unforgiveness of making poor moves of Classic is there. When you commit to a defensive or attack move, you don’t as much react as anticipate in Classic, even in the maligned Adept style. I understand this is what was throwing a lot of people off before World, as you need to really learn distance, moves and pacing of various monsters, and you are mostly getting punished during the course.

I hope players can be a real pain to each others in multiplayer if they don’t know how to coordinate. That is a really, really huge thing in Classic. Learning your hunting mates habits, minding your placement, taking turns at attacking the monster or distracting it, knowing what to aim for when attacking the monster depending on your weapon and style… Classic is really an incredible multiplayer experience — 4 players going solo on a challenging monster hardly ever ends in anything but a quick “hunt failed” prompt.

I finally hope that we get to play again as Palicos. That was an awesome change of pace and scale.

TGS gameplay!

Looks awesome! I especially like the rideable thing.

Interview with the director and producer from TGS: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-06-monster-hunter-rise-looks-like-itll-be-the-best-of-both-worlds

I think the biggest confirmation from the interview is that ‘so tasty!’ is back! Yay!

Some Greatsword gameplay and narration.

Some dual sword gameplay. I wonder if meth is a requirement for that weapon, the character seems a bit of a spaz.

Demo releasing today:

Been champing at the bit all day for this demo! Super excited for Rise, I think this is the ideal platform (until pc release, anyway) for Monster Hunter. Have you seen the Wyvern rider feature? I want to drive around a Rathalos!

This is super unclear. 12AM Jan 7th has, of course, already passed and the demo is not available. Does it mean midnight PST tonight? I saw people on the MH reddit saying the demo is supposed to be available at 3pm PST today according to the Japanese MH twitter account, but I couldn’t find that tweet and the person posting it also didn’t seem to know that 3PM PST is not 7PM EST, so I don’t know what to think.

This is going to be the thing that forces me to have Nintendo’s Online service right? I have been down to just PS Plus for so long.

Hm, yeah. The official Twitter account says January 8th.

Demo seems to be up? At least the store has a “download demo” button, which I pressed, although nothing seems to be happening. I did get a message that said depending on server load the download might not start right away, though.

I’m in the same boat. I’ll check my system again in an hour and see what’s up.

I pressed the ‘download demo’ button an hour ago and nothing’s started yet.

I think it’s probably available at midnight Pacific time and the button is just there early. With any luck it’ll put us in a queue and it’ll be downloaded by morning!