Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch and PC

2.0 patch is out

Patch Notes

Trailer: Monster Hunter Rise Ver. 2.0 - Official Update Trailer - YouTube

@Left_Empty was playing with friends last night and checked my gyro sensitivity and it’s down to 20 but I feel like it could still go lower!

We just defeated a Magnamalo for the second time and we’re tier 3 hunters now. Lots of quests to do and system upon system being added, lol. It’s pretty nuts. I’ve been rocking the hunting horn for a while now. It’s basically a buff hammer, which is perfect. Really want to try the bowguns at some point.

Mine was set at 25/40, I’ll try it!

I’ve fiddled with most weapons (bow, hammer and dual blades excepted), and after a period of happily hunting Magmallow with the Horns, I’m back to my old favourites: Sword & Shield and Lance. Sword & Shield offers crazy customization options, thanks to its low reliance on any given skills to be viable. Lance is hilarious to harass monsters, and successfully countering in this twitchy game is very satisfying.
I go Heavy Punching Gun to knock out repeatedly annoying stuff though, like that Mizutsune-on-coke, or Super Saiyan Monkeys, or the Apexes.

My current take on the rest of the weapons

In my experience:
the Great Sword is satisfying but too limited against higher threats;
the Long Sword is a collection of nice gimmicks that all got old quickly for me;
Gunlance is really a tons of fun and insanely powerful (almost feels broken even, with that polish skill?), but requires heavy grinding and investment in a lot of weapons, and a good support from the team, as there are so many skills you can equip yourself;
Switch Axe is simply frustrating to me without the infinite stamina (it’s a regressive weapon, why did they do that!);
Charge Blade is way too technical for the reward it provides — I prefered the simpler yet very technical classic MH way —;
Insect Glaive feels amazing but requires way too much knowledge of monsters for me to not be pathetic at it;
and light bowgun hurts my fingers.

This is how I felt about the Insect Glaive after a stint of playing with it. Getting your bug to extract the right thing so you could start getting stuck in was very annoying! I felt like I was spending more time kiting, waiting, nope, fire it again, kite, wait, nope, fire again etc. etc. That said, I loved bouncing around everywhere with it. Lots of air combos.

Gunlance was my first weapon and yeah, it seemed very powerful but tricky to time some of the attacks to maximise damage.

I’ve tried and bounced off MH on a couple of times, both on the PSP and 3DS. But I’m playing around with the Rise demo and i think it’s finally starting to click with me. I think it’s probably due to the better camera and QoL changes since the older versions I’ve played. Is it still possible to play on adhoc mode with a bunch of friends or is Wifi a requirement now? I’m probably not going to pay full price on this but if it gets a good sale I’ll definitely pick it up.

Rise is definitely the one that clicked with me the most. I still haven’t put a time of time in but I finally see the appeal with Rise that I didn’t even with World and Generations.

Yes, local ad hoc is supported. In general, MH Rise has a lot of options for multiplayer. The limitations are that everyone needs their own switch and a copy of the game.

Rise is a good looking mini-game, to play now and then in-between intense sessions of Generations :O

It’s nice but it just lacks the large feeling of World. I hope the next game is more like that.

My friends and I have had the most fun with Rise when we’ve gone for monsters much tougher than us so we’ve had to co-operate and co-ordinate ourselves. Our collective highlight so far has been dealing with a higher level Magnamalo and failing repeatedly. It was so good. There’s been far too many low level chewing gum monsters to grind through where we’ve had conversations about anything and everything while whomping on some poor beastie. The low level stuff just makes so many of the game’s systems, mechanics and items feel redundant or like ‘legacy cruft’ as we’ve been calling it, and so far that’s been the vast majority of our play until the harder stuff has unlocked. I suppose we’ll have to see how the later monsters change that.

I hear Rise has been heavily streamlined but I could trim some serious fat off this thing still. I mean, the demo stripped out nearly all customisation and village nonsense and we had a great time trying to beat the tougher two monsters. Like all the pet stuff and maintaining their stats, abilities and gear. There’s enough faff with my own character let alone a stable of Palamutes and Palicoes! I mean, how much do they really do when you’re not riding the dogs? We’ve certainly not noticed a great deal outside of the odd heal plant or attacks. There’s so much here but I’m not sure how much of it really adds to the experience. My brother, who’s a lifelong fan of MMOs, bounced right off Rise due to the fire hose of things.

These are general musings from a new player btw!

It all adds to the experience. While you obviously can get by without them, I think if you build buddies out complimentary to your needs they can have an impact, stuff like free healing, immobilising, increasing frequency of your status effects. Or giving you more stuff when gathering or carving.

Or at least, plenty of guides seem to think they have an impact - I never really get that far into the more end-game play, personally I just love playing dress-ups with pets regardless of how much real impact the equipment and skills have. :)

But it’s all part of the history, soul, and character of the game, and I’d predict a bloodbath if they cut it. For example, look at the people complaining that JRPG spin-off Monster Hunter Stories 2 does not have a Poogie equivalent in its villages, which is a basically useless but adorable piece of dress-up fluff (they expanded Poogie into the Cahoot in Rise).

Besides, I’m pretty sure you don’t really have to engage with or use any of the buddy stuff outside of the tutorial?

Yeah, my friends and I have discussed this while playing and I don’t doubt it for a second! :-)

I think it’s more that with the buddy stuff I feel like if I don’t engage with it then I might be missing out on important abilities or buffs later down the line, and if I don’t cultivate that now then it might become a grind when I maybe do need it. Right now I’ve got a variety of Palicoes training (I’ve been avoiding Palamutes to help me become more fluid with the wirebug movement) so I should have plenty ready to roll when the time comes.

I love Monster Hunter Stories 2, but the absence of a Poogie is very serious flaw indeed!!!

Not sure if this is the right thread for this because… Rise got PC dates (announced Tokyo Game Show 2021 today)! We’re getting it on Steam Jan 21 2022 and a demo Oct 13th (on top of the simultaneous Sunbreak expansion release next summer)!

We got more than the date - it’s available to preorder on Steam, in fact.

Don’t buy it, it sucks!

Monster Hunter game on the PC? I’m buying. And it doesn’t suck. ;)

Well, the demo’s dropping in a couple weeks so I figure that’ll be a practical test. My prediction is that this will be my first day 1 game purchase ever.

Rise is OK but it was just not as good as World for me, nor really even close.