Monster Hunter Rise on the Switch and PC

unskippable cutscenes got on my nerve, but I’ll try to be strong :O

Unskippable cutscenes need to be classified as a crime against humanity.

Are we trash talking the Swag axe in here? I will fight you! Key to learning it is picking up all the evade skills as training wheels. I mained it in Iceborne, it’s still a fantastic weapon in Rise and gets some minor revisions, but I ran with dual blades and hunting horn in Rise primarily. The aerial switch skills and being able to pull off heavenly blade dances without having to jump off a slope is the JUICE. I’ve tried to get into Charge Blade because it looks so cool, but its an awful lot of fiddling around with phials and powering up the sword and shield to get to the cool smackdown moment that other weapons deliver on without all the nonsense.

I wound up grabbing MHGU since there’s no real endgame to speak of in Rise, Valor Greatsword is a blast. Last monster I took down was Gore Magala, which I’m hoping makes its way into the Rise expansion.

Anyway, uh, the demo runs great. Hopefully the expansion adds some endgame in that is missing from the base experience.

The good Charge Blade player in our group was actually barely ever using the finisher move — from my understand, you actually can skip the Sword powering up of that part, as it only matters when in sword mode and has barely any effect on the axe form whatsoever. In any case, he was switching the forms of his weapon all the time in a strange biomechanical ballet which was giving me headache the levels of which I’ve only experienced watching Guilty Gear trainings. It was just delivering a crazy amount of successive hits while moving around, very impressive, but totally above my skill level — it took me long enough to not whiff all the time with the insect glaive!

I confess I have yet to even try the Dual Blade in any Monter Hunter game :O

Edit: by the way, the Switch Axe is just incredibly stupid fun in MHGU. Spoiler: there is an infinite combo (they took it away in MHR, and prolly MHW?), and the silly MHGU features infinite stamina potions ;D

Editedit: Also one of my favourite modes, if basic was Great Sword with Adept style: nothing like rushing through an attack while yelling and smashing that big stick!

Yeah, I mained the Charge Blade in Iceborne because they made axe mode very viable. I never enjoyed the “do everything to hit a SAED” thing, and the good thing about Charge Blade in Iceborne is that you have a lot of versatility where there was little or none.

Which is what happened to Switch Axe in MHW, alas - you’d be aiming to do ZED whenever you could, which was so boring to me. Iceborne gave the SA a bit more mobility and all, but with the super mobile monsters, SA really suffered. It was more frustrating than fun for me at that point, so I switched to Charge Blade, mostly. And then S&S.

Dual Blades is fun but a little too anime for me to be proud of it.

This thread has inspired me to reinstall…MHGU. I’m gonna try LBG this time.

Dual blades: embrace your inner weeb!

Not having to keep the sword charged makes more sense for charge blade; its in its own niche field of study, I feel like devoting the time to learn it is a whole other tier of MH mastery.

ZSD criticism is totally valid for Switch Axe, but you don’t have to play it that way. Maybe I’ll give the aerial style a shot once I hit high rank in GU :D

And I thought the new Long Sword was too weeb already for me :O

You back to MHGU, me to MHW. The balance of the universe is maintained!

Oh my. What a style that one is.

Does this mean he doesn’t do SAED much and instead just does charged axe swings up to aeds over and over again? I can see that not being too bad (complexity wise)

By durability do you mean sharpness? It seems like you have the sharpness counter wirebug ability early on which seems to help, well in theory at least I’m bad at timing it so far.

I wouldn’t know! He used the sword a lot and was combining it with the axe in a same combo.
From what I understand, it’s all based around timing very small invulnerability frames as to not get interrupted while performing the combos? Anyway it’s crazy stuff, but I think he must have reached HR999 a long while ago, while I left the game at around 200!

One that doesn’t require much of any player skill is a “critical sharpness” sort of deal — I don’t recall the precise name —, that prevents any loss of sharpness on a critical hit. I have a Gunlance with 80% crit chance, and I had only to sharp it once or twice/monster, although it could go fast if not careful.
That sort of build works well with some of the good weapons that have very small sharpness zones too. I remember I was using it for one of my (many, collecting those is addiciting) horns, and for my insect glaive.

I guess the one benefit gunlance gains from rise is that it’s pretty easy to hop on your pup and kite while sharpening

One of those things I profoundly disliked in Rise, which is why I never bring those poor brokenback dogs on hunts!
It really feels like cheating. I want to hurt, when monster hunting :O

I have played a little World, and the game feels very different from Rise.
I’d argue I like it a bit better so far, if only because, as a low ranking hunter, I got carted twice by an Anja’s breath which one-hit-killed me. The only time this happened in Rise was with the game’s “big evil” monster, and even then, you get a little room to escape that death as it is a two hitter.

The early Anja was soo cool in World. I love having a big scary dangerous thing that you’re not yet equipped to fight roaming around a lower-level area.

But I think some of the newer MH players struggled and disliked it, so maybe they purposefully toned that aspect down in Rise? Agree it is a shame.

The Anjanath was cool. You know what was not cool? The Bazelgeuse.

Yes, I’m still mad.

I thought I was enjoying Rise more than World, but the more I play it, the more it seems the reverse.
The maps are very different and feel both more intimate, but more vast in World, and the monsters moving around all the time feels infinitely better than the robotic “tick” processing of Rise.

Also the monsters have been anything but the horrible Hit Sponges they have become in Rise (and from I gather, that trend began with Iceborne, which I didn’t buy).

The Bazelgeuse in Rise was one of the easiest monsters to hunt. I can’t wait to discover her true form!

I loved World so much, but the Iceborne jumpers were such a pain in the ass.

Edit: Feh! The gunner aiming in MHGU offends me so much. Clunky as hell. Maybe I’ll try hammer.

I never liked the aiming for the bowguns in MHGU (they require a lot of twitch reflexes and turning around), but coped with it for the bow, and it’s satisfying feel of impunity against some aggravating monsters (Rajang >_<).

I’ll continue to tell my World adventure in the wrong thread.
I just enjoy it a lot, although I can’t play online yet, as I am focusing on my beloved Lance, and haven’t found a piece of armor to counter the other player’s staggering.
I thought the environments were nice, but the arrival at the Coral Highlands honestly took my breath away like few games did since Shenmue 2.
Another thing I have been enjoying (I’m still playing at very low rank) is that some monsters just mind their own business without even noticing you, while others are more protective, and some will downright hunt you down if they got a grudge against you (like old time favourite Rathian). In Rise, all the monsters behaved according to the same aggressive framework — justified vaguely by some pretty silly story element that didn’t make sense past a point.

Are you on PC?