Monster Hunter World!!!!!

I’m very impressed with this Witcher event. New dialogue, new armor, new weapon, and the monster fight isn’t just some reskin of another monster. The Leshan fight is terrific!

Now that I have more understanding of the battle rhythm I will go back and try the bow again.

Well, if not using flash pods, you wait until it is in a position you can attack. I’m now quite experienced in hunting Rathians with my Hunting Horn. Wait, hit them in the head, they land, go crazy. They fly, wait for an opening, hit them in the head, repeat.

Now, Teostra is a different thing. It’s one of the most difficult to hunt, for me. And I hear Lunastra is even worse, so there’s that.

Wow. Is there some way to get those on demand? Surely there aren’t enough in the environment.

Now you’ve got me wondering about all the things I don’t know/use because I’m usually using a ranged weapon.

You can take flashbugs with you (in the pouch) and craft flash pods on the field.

Flash bugs are not flash flies, I just got that. I actually have an inventory full of flash pods, I just forgot all about 'em. I should be bringing those. I may not need them to ground fliers but they’re obviously still super-useful.

I also want to mention that my SA, and a couple of other melee weapons, have a pretty good reach too, and I do like to concentrate on wings when I fight a flier to break them. It is oddly satisfying to see them try to fly and then not be able to too well.

Yeah, technically they’re “Pods” or whatever, but I just call em bugs, that’s my bad.
Though a cat can drop the actual bug cages as well which can help against something like Rathalos who almost never lands.

I guess that’s one major advantage of the melee weapons being preposterously huge! :)

But yeah, I look back on my early days playing dual blades and can’t imagine having to deal with all this flier-management business. Better to just shoot the bastard out of the air!

Full Monster Hunter World soundtrack is now on Spotify (not on all regions though):

Favorite track: 華やかなりし日々 〜 特等マイハウス (AKA the theme that plays in your fully upgraded house)

Does the soundtrack come with harp kitties? Because if not, no sale.

It has much more!

Well, one can’t argue with the Meowscular chef. Because one would be afraid of having his ass kicked, diced, grilled, and served with a Bearnaise sauce.

One of the most annoying things about this game is forgetting to eat a meal and then starting the mission with a health bar the size of a postage stamp.

Anyway, I had my first multiplayer encounter today after I was too lazy to change the number of players to 1. I was rocking a Legiana and after it ran away I finally noticed this kid with a Twitch handle desperately trying to chat with me. I found the chat option and he explained that he wanted me to stop hitting the monster when he put it to sleep so he could place some bombs to do double damage. I asked him to confirm that he wanted me to stop hitting monsters in Monster Hunter World. After he restated his plan, I said I would try, but that it was against my nature.

The next round I hang back and he never puts the monster to sleep at all. It goes to the final location and I struggle to figure out how to get there. I climb about 8 sets of vines and then receive notification that the monster is dead. I sprint by him to loot and he asks me if I need additional help, and mentions that he has a discord.

I tell him I’m good, thanks.

So then you eat at the camp? Or drink a Mega Nutrient potion (won’t give the skill bonuses, but will boost max HP).

I now vaguely remember the ability to do this. This will be a huge help.

Ancient potions also work if you don’t want to bring rations AND mega nutrients.

Nah never mind the canteen at the camp doesn’t have +health meals. Damn game.

Just spent 30 minutes chasing fucking Rathalos all around this shitty map and then he flew away like a pussy.

I think I need a break from this.

Actually it does. Sometimes. I’ve never been entirely able to work that one out - anyone else know how it works?

The food system is a bit complicated… There are three dimensions:

• Freshness (the checkmark). Fresh ingredients give +10 max HP.
  • Type (i.e. the tabs). If you have 2/4/6 of meat/fish/vegetable you get small/medium/large bonuses to attack/defense/resistance stats.
  • Skills (i.e. the rows). The more ingredients you have from the same skill category (but possibly different tabs), the more powerful a food skill you’re eligible for.

So… The ingredients you unlock always show up in the main canteen, with a random selection of them being fresh. The camp will have a random subset of what’s in the main canteen. As you unlock more ingredients and upgrade the canteen, it becomes very unlikely you can’t get +50 health and some decent stat bonus even when eating at the camp.