Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Or you’re just not in a hurry. Why hurry? If it takes you 20 or 30 minutes, you can just enjoy playing game. I know we live in a moment in time where let’s do 20 minute games so we can get everyone in their spare time… but if I only have 20 minutes, I wouldn’t warm up MH to play. I’d go for something else entirely.

I don’t know why you are being defensive. If you look back at that post the whole context of what I said was in relation to the 50+ minute time limit for most retail hunts. If it’s taking you more than 50 minutes to do a hunt then yes, most likely your gear is too low and outside of some very extraneous circumstances the time limit is telling you that you are probably making things much harder and not fun for yourself than it should be.

Besides, I don’t know if you’ve played a Monster Hunter game before or not, but there have been plenty of times I would do 2 hunts on a single 40 minute train ride to work, so it’s definitely a game I would bring up if I only had 20 minutes to play (outside some of the larger and harder hunts). That being said you only get there when you really start getting into a groove your weapons and know what you are trying to do and where you are trying to go. It’s definitely not suitable for a demo.

I am not being defensive. I am telling you when I had fifty minutes, some times I just took my time to play. I don’t know what the problem with that is, but I am simply telling you I liked the extra time to just enjoy the game. I did play, a lot, on Monster Hunter Tri. I never played the game like a race or as if I had something to prove… still won’t. I don’t like the time limits. I think it’s stupid they’re there. I understand the fans who have been following the franchise for years like to explain to me why it makes sense, but I don’t like it, and I don’t have to.

I would never play these games on a mobile device, which is why I waited for the Wii release. It’s not the kind of game I would ever enjoy on the go.

They also claim they want to expand the fanbase so… maybe they should listen to what some of the people who enjoy the games but haven’t been lining up for years has to say about it. I think the time limits are a deterrent.

I’m confused, but i thought the game does have 50 min time limits? Is that still to short?

Honestly I don’t think I’ve ever hit the 50 min time limit in over 5k hours of playing MH games. There was a very tense Rathalos fight in Tri that came close (a few QT3ers were there), but that’s it.

Honestly if we were under geared we’ve always feinted out long before time expired.

If you just want to toodle around the why not use Free Hunt? I feel like that mode is exactly what you are asking for.

I guess I’m just a bit confused.

If I remember right you just kind of travel around, maybe see some mild things, get your stuff and go. It felt pointless to me. I didn’t like them at all. I’d rather gather and get my stuff as I go then do that, so I did a lot of that in the main quests because I could.

Fifty minutes was fine, not sure why they did 50 and not say 60 but okay. Here’s the thing though. I don’t play with PUGs. I play with people I know, people who have kids, people I socialize with. I might be asking how their day is as we go out hunting, looking for something. I’m not in a hurry.

And here is the important part, if they took out the timer there is nothing that stops anyone from finishing in twenty minutes if they want to. Nothing at all. If I remember right as soon as you take down the main baddy. so say twenty minutes, hell ten if they really want, it counts down and you can move on. You’ve lost nothing.

If you’re under powered, aka under geared or under skilled… it’s not the time that’s going to kill you. You or one of your fellow hunters will be down three times, it was three right,in well under 50 minutes if you fight any length of time. I mean you can only roll so long and that’s not going to get you any good stuff.

As for this game they’re saying the demo is 20 minutes. There is no indication if that’s the same length for the fully game or not. 20 minutes is too short for me to enjoy this game. I won’t like it. Timed quest in any other game have always been my least favorite. This is the only game, read series, I have ever purchased knowing there was a timer throughout all of it and mostly enjoyed it.

My spies say that the timer in timed missions is meaningless.

They say (I paraphrase) “the timer is more a DPS check, if you don’t kill a monster in the allocated time is more because you don’t do enough DPS and you need to upgrade the gear”

Another of my spies say “many missions have a 50 minutes timer, that a lot like not having a timer at all”.

It don’t see the game will feel bad because of the timer. Or so say the experts in the area.

If you can walk around freely, and it’s not all just instanced missions looked through a menu, that will go a long way to making the game feel more coherent.

The combat still needs to tighten up a bit I think. The monsters are huge, but it still felt like you were just singing at a big generic target. The lack of ability to aim at specific parts or anything made it feel weird.

Assuming I understand your statement correctly, this is a central element of the fanchise. Weapons have attack arcs depending on the weapon and key press. Monsters have many hidden trackers for area health. The players must aim their arc at the intended area of the moving monster. For example the Great Sword players have a rather useful overhead arc (or used to in previous games-- I have not played the beta) that is great at hitting elevated tails trailing monsters.

The franchise also tends to start you out easy. As you progress monsters move faster and are more aggressive with new attack patterns thrown in. This makes where you are standing and how you plan to aim your arc to hit that nice tail/horn/whatever much more challenging.x

That’s all there, it’s just not obvious. Hitting the monster’s head with a blunt weapon will cause them be knocked out more. Hitting their tail enough times with a blade will cause their tail to fall off (which will net materials you can’t get otherwise). Every monster has other parts that will visibly break off (which will net you unique materials for that part) and you are supposed to experiment and find out what parts will break (there are hints in crafting material requirements though).

Played through the three Single player missions and did a couple duos with @merryprankster and yup, its MonHun!

Going to sink a ton of hours into this.

Love how it looks, the monster interactions are really cool. During one hunt a Rathian swooped down, grabbed our target and took off with it, dropping it to the ground a little ways off.

Can’t wait to set out with my rusty sword and start the gear climb!

You have to hit these things in the right place to get some of the rarer parts, or I think should is better word. If you take off the tail, you get a tail part. If you kill it you get some random parts. I am sure the experts here can be more specific.

There’s a lot of hate for the sword and shield combo, but I tell you my sister wasn’t great at avoiding attacks or doing high DPS but she could knock target pieces off real well. It was great!

Ah, if there actually is some kind of localized damage modeling, that’s much better.

I didn’t realize there was, since there was seemingly no visual feedback that such things were happening. The weapon swinging just passed through the monster, and sometimes they fell over.

It’d be better if there was some indication to the player that such mechanics exist, but it’s definitely better that they do, as that adds some depth.

I thought in the tutorial there might be info on it. I can’t remember. As a newish but not new, yes I’ve played others need to stop asking me that!, it was one of the most exciting moments to see that part just fly off because then you know, you know you got that tail. And then it’s walking around and not hitting you with it anymore too, or trying to anyway. Some of them have huge club like tails~!

Monster Hunter: World ran a PS4-exclusive open beta over the weekend. World is slated to hit PC in early- to mid-2018, so Monster Hunter enthusiasts Steven and Austin went hunting together to find out what PC gamers can expect.

If it’s that soon, I might just wait. I have a gaming PC. There would be little too no risk with me picking it up for a system I have several friends I can play with on. I am not picturing how this would work with KB and M, but hey, could really make me happy or… i have a controller.

I’m not sure I’d take that as gospel just yet, as nothing’s been announced and that’s a rather casual reveal without any sources backing it.

And after all, they’re just playing the PS4 demo like everyone else so not like they have any special access.

I hope it is soon though!

There’s another PS4 beta coming up this weekend:

22nd December 5pm GMT/6pm CET/9am PST
to
26th December 5pm GMT/6pm CET/9am PST

The layabouts at Sony USA haven’t updated the store for it yet. Just a preload, so no rush.

Oh, and the big news is this one doesn’t require PS+.

Monster Hunter games have always had time limits. That’s normal, and like someone said above, it is a “gate” on your equipment… hunts can easily take around 20-30 minutes depending on your experience level, but if you are timing out, you are either at the very end of teh game doing difficult hunting quests or you are underleveled for that quest. it’s also possible that you are bad / slow at killing monsters, which is fine.

anyway, the time limit is almost never a thing to worry about and is likely not going away. for anyone who is saying that combat feels clunky, if you are new to monster hunter, that’s just the way the combat is. you can’t spam skills or attack willy nilly whenever you want to. You just don’t understand the whole weapon and how its used, most likely… they can be complicated and rather involved to learn.

I don’t know about world, but in MHG and MH4 there are a lot of indications of how well you are hitting. if blood spurts out thats a crit or a weak spot. each part of the monster has different resistences and takes more / less damage from certain types of weapons. For example, longsword does cutting damage which is more effective against the tail. Hammer does blunt damage which is more effective against the head to stun it, etc. monster hunter is really amazing, to me, because they don’t just tell you any of this stuff in the UI. you don’t know how much health it has left until you cut the tail off, or until it gets stunned.

I see the PC version is not out until Autumn 2018 which is a fair wait.

Well that sucks.