Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Assuming I understand your statement correctly, this is a central element of the fanchise. Weapons have attack arcs depending on the weapon and key press. Monsters have many hidden trackers for area health. The players must aim their arc at the intended area of the moving monster. For example the Great Sword players have a rather useful overhead arc (or used to in previous games-- I have not played the beta) that is great at hitting elevated tails trailing monsters.

The franchise also tends to start you out easy. As you progress monsters move faster and are more aggressive with new attack patterns thrown in. This makes where you are standing and how you plan to aim your arc to hit that nice tail/horn/whatever much more challenging.x

That’s all there, it’s just not obvious. Hitting the monster’s head with a blunt weapon will cause them be knocked out more. Hitting their tail enough times with a blade will cause their tail to fall off (which will net materials you can’t get otherwise). Every monster has other parts that will visibly break off (which will net you unique materials for that part) and you are supposed to experiment and find out what parts will break (there are hints in crafting material requirements though).

Played through the three Single player missions and did a couple duos with @merryprankster and yup, its MonHun!

Going to sink a ton of hours into this.

Love how it looks, the monster interactions are really cool. During one hunt a Rathian swooped down, grabbed our target and took off with it, dropping it to the ground a little ways off.

Can’t wait to set out with my rusty sword and start the gear climb!

You have to hit these things in the right place to get some of the rarer parts, or I think should is better word. If you take off the tail, you get a tail part. If you kill it you get some random parts. I am sure the experts here can be more specific.

There’s a lot of hate for the sword and shield combo, but I tell you my sister wasn’t great at avoiding attacks or doing high DPS but she could knock target pieces off real well. It was great!

Ah, if there actually is some kind of localized damage modeling, that’s much better.

I didn’t realize there was, since there was seemingly no visual feedback that such things were happening. The weapon swinging just passed through the monster, and sometimes they fell over.

It’d be better if there was some indication to the player that such mechanics exist, but it’s definitely better that they do, as that adds some depth.

I thought in the tutorial there might be info on it. I can’t remember. As a newish but not new, yes I’ve played others need to stop asking me that!, it was one of the most exciting moments to see that part just fly off because then you know, you know you got that tail. And then it’s walking around and not hitting you with it anymore too, or trying to anyway. Some of them have huge club like tails~!

Monster Hunter: World ran a PS4-exclusive open beta over the weekend. World is slated to hit PC in early- to mid-2018, so Monster Hunter enthusiasts Steven and Austin went hunting together to find out what PC gamers can expect.

If it’s that soon, I might just wait. I have a gaming PC. There would be little too no risk with me picking it up for a system I have several friends I can play with on. I am not picturing how this would work with KB and M, but hey, could really make me happy or… i have a controller.

I’m not sure I’d take that as gospel just yet, as nothing’s been announced and that’s a rather casual reveal without any sources backing it.

And after all, they’re just playing the PS4 demo like everyone else so not like they have any special access.

I hope it is soon though!

There’s another PS4 beta coming up this weekend:

22nd December 5pm GMT/6pm CET/9am PST
to
26th December 5pm GMT/6pm CET/9am PST

The layabouts at Sony USA haven’t updated the store for it yet. Just a preload, so no rush.

Oh, and the big news is this one doesn’t require PS+.

Monster Hunter games have always had time limits. That’s normal, and like someone said above, it is a “gate” on your equipment… hunts can easily take around 20-30 minutes depending on your experience level, but if you are timing out, you are either at the very end of teh game doing difficult hunting quests or you are underleveled for that quest. it’s also possible that you are bad / slow at killing monsters, which is fine.

anyway, the time limit is almost never a thing to worry about and is likely not going away. for anyone who is saying that combat feels clunky, if you are new to monster hunter, that’s just the way the combat is. you can’t spam skills or attack willy nilly whenever you want to. You just don’t understand the whole weapon and how its used, most likely… they can be complicated and rather involved to learn.

I don’t know about world, but in MHG and MH4 there are a lot of indications of how well you are hitting. if blood spurts out thats a crit or a weak spot. each part of the monster has different resistences and takes more / less damage from certain types of weapons. For example, longsword does cutting damage which is more effective against the tail. Hammer does blunt damage which is more effective against the head to stun it, etc. monster hunter is really amazing, to me, because they don’t just tell you any of this stuff in the UI. you don’t know how much health it has left until you cut the tail off, or until it gets stunned.

I see the PC version is not out until Autumn 2018 which is a fair wait.

Well that sucks.

I tried the demo last week.

Better than expected. Not enough to get me to bite.

That’s a long time to spend ‘optimising’, as they say they’re now doing. They’d want to hope that thing releases polished as hell and running like greased lightning.

Guess it’s the PS4 version for me then. And who am I kidding, probably the PC version as well, later. :(

I’ve got too many games to play, I don’t mind waiting as long as it is fully polished on release.

yeah I will Xbox 1 it and then double dip on the PC as well.

Well I took the plunge and pre-ordered for PS4. I’ll crack open my PS4 skin this weekend and call it good. It’s very likely I’ll get the PC version next year and play with my phone group. I’ll probably have some fun no matter what.

Well I’ve played the beta a bit, and I am happy with my pre-order. I still love the Switch Axe, so will probably stick with that.

My biggest challenge is II don’t know the PS4 controller at all. It told me at some point to hit the R3 button, and I had to ignore it. I had no idea where the R3 was until I looked it up afterward. I still killed it though and his little friends too.

I know the monsters get significantly harder and the same one expands attacks later on, but I’m liking it.

The tracking thing I am… indifferent too. It seems weird it’s throwing me green trails while I am looking at it. I think I’d prefer if it did the green trails only if I paused… I mean I don’t need help, I can see it’s tail as it scurries away.

Yeah I really wish you could turn off (or at least down) those scout fly trails. It’s so in-your-face and unneccesary. As a concept it’s handy since with the increased geometry it’s much harder navigating the map than it was on 3DS, but they’ve gone overboard.

Apart from that, I think I’m going to love this. :)