Monster Hunter World!!!!!

re: Biggest Release EVAH

As they say, timing is everything. This was released with literally no competition on either side of it for weeks so people with money to burn jumped on it.

I am trying to like it based on the good reviews but it’s gameplay loop is exceptionally shallow.

Fight monster. Monster runs away. Chase monster. Fight monster moar. Monster runs away, etc etc.
It is like the proverbial bullet sponge boss in games like The Division.

I’m hoping it opens up a bit more, but it didn’t suck me in whatsoever the way I thought it would. shrug

Only ever played any MH on the Vita. It was just too tiny of a screen to really get into this sort of game (for me anyway). But I finally have a PC able to handle this so I grabbed it.

I’ve never really like the whole ‘giant weapon’ thing, and MH is probably the worst offender. But I’m reasonably happy with my insect/glaive spear thingy. I’m still pretty much in button mashing mode, but I’m getting the hang of it slowly.

I haven’t tried playing with others but was able to get thru the second quest on my own thanks to my healing beetle and sort of figuring out how to use him.

This is the first game I’m planning on using youtube guides as there is such depth and diversity to the fighting styles.

I’ve 300+ hours in monster hunter, and have hunted him countless times. Getting stuck in the corner in the water unable to see your character and getting knocked over and over is just bullshit that is in every game, but I wouldn’t expect them to throw it at you in the 2nd hunt. Lame lame lame. the next monster was significantly better and more interesting. honestly not a fan of this thick water swamp stuff though.

As for performance, it seems to be related to the latest Nvidia driver. I rolled back to a previous one and the game is significantly smoother, with little to no frame hiccups even on my crappy machine. That may have impacted my barroth fight as well, since my graphics card was at 20% usage and lagging a bit especially in the swamp.

also, it’s more that they throw you into the barroth fight with the level 1 starting stuff and his charge literally does 100% of your hp in one hit. come on, that’s just bad progression compared to previous MH games. It’s honestly not that big of a deal, the game is still amazing ofc.

that’s the exact gameplay loop the entire game. You go out, hunt monsters, gather their stuff to make new armor, and then hunt bigger monsters or more powerful versions of the older ones. The enjoyment comes from tackling bigger monsters, creating better armor and equipment, and from all the weapon styles (they are each basically their own game).

Do we have a group of people on Steam or something to coordinate coop? I want to get in while the gettin’s good.

Barroth shouldn’t be your second hunt… You should be doing stuff in the ancient forest still. By my memory your second hunt should be the Puka Puka.

Settings that work well for me, giving a solid 100fps in Astera (i7-7700, 1080ti, 1440p).

High levels of ambient occlusion, volume rendering, and sh diffuse are what mostly kill the framerate, for arguably minimal visual gain.

Option Setting Note
Screen mode Fullscreen Game is not as smooth in borderless mode
Framerate No Limit
V-Sync Off I have gsync, if you want vsync try using driver settings instead
Resolution Scaling High Runs the game at native resolution
Texture Quality Full
Ambient Occlusion Low Bizarrely expensive setting!
Volume Rendering Quality Off Or Low, if you like the foggy effect it gives. Very expensive setting esp. at high levels!
Shadow Quality High Shadows are still not sharp, and lower settings make minimal difference
Anti-Aliasing TAA Not great but better than FXAA with hardly any performance difference
LOD Bias High Variable has better performance than High, and looks better than Mid. But the pop-in improvement with High is worth the cost I think.
Max LOD Level No Limit
Foliage Sway On
Subsurface Scattering On
Screen Space Reflection On
Anisotropic Filtering High
Water Reflection On
SH Diffuse Quality Low Spherical harmonics; very expensive at high levels!
Dynamic Range 32-bit
Z-Prepass On

wow. only 6 hours in and the random monsters showing up on hunts just to fuck with me is already super old. Literally lost a fight only because a rathain decided to show up and trap me between two monsters, they both focused me and he torched me with one fireball doing 100% of my hp in one hit. That’s just fun gameplay right there.

goddamn. I already hate the fucking dragons to death and never fight them unless its absolutely required by a quest. to have them randomly show up, fight me instead of the monster, and then kill me is just so utterly lame. MHW is so good but then has all these weird as fuck design choices that make the game unnecessarily frustrating, like, why. just why. it’s lame. if I wanted to fight two monsters at once, I would just go to one of the quests that let you fight two at once. even in those quests in the old games I’d never try to fight them one v 2 in the same area unless it was arena mode… ugh. this game. it’s so good but just has this annoying shit that is so fucking lame and it makes me just want to stop playing.

The power is in your hands to get rid of adds, throw poop (dung pods) at them etc. Most monsters run away when you do this. And some monsters run from other stuff.

There’s two more that you will hate, really hate, if this is already bothering you now. One of them will be DLC, the other is… well he ruined many a hunts, not just for me but groups one too.

I will second the dung pods… use them, and get used to using them because those two dragons are not nearly as disruptive as some of the later ones.

Oh my gosh! I finally figured out how to force Monster Hunter World from using Steam Big Picture mode.

Steam -> Settings -> In-Game -> Un-check this box:

Second hunt is the poor Kulu-Ya-Ku. Pukei Pukei is third…

Should have far more than the ‘level 1 starting stuff’ by then.

I just finished Kulu-Ya-Ku myself, and yeah the third is poison bird. I’ve already upgraded my armor a few times, and I am going very slow. I hate the cutscene crap, not so much because I have to see it, again, but because I can’t join people until it’s done, ugh.

I gotta get my controls set-up better. I am still struggling with this and no matter what I do I can’t get the game to recognize the thumb button which I really, really want to use.

That’s about where I am too, about to face Pukei.

I crafted the hunter and bone sets, upgraded chain and bone to level 2. Using the bow which I’m loving, which is also upgraded a bit.

Last night I did the level 2 Event Quest to hunt 2 Great Jagras, which gave me enough bits to build that armour set, and upgrade it to level 2.

I’m just using my XB1 controller, very comfortable and familiar. :) Game looks and runs great on PC, though I think the biggest improvement over PS4 is loading times - on the SSD it takes just a couple seconds to load stuff.

I am taking my time because my sister is going to be very, very slow and the other couple of people are already on + versions so they blew past me in a couple of days already.

I have an Xbox based controller, Razer Wolverwine… which of cousre isn’t like the PS4 controller either. Boy do I love how fast I can spin my supplies and get to them with a mouse though, much better!

I realized trying to get on with her that I never learned much about the guild card, sessions, squads stuff because I just did my campaign missions solo and then just did PUGs for pretty much everything else. I have my full Hunter gear and the Great Jagras SA. My sister has opted for the dual blades this time instead of sword and shield, this means our damage output is pretty good for MP. Once I convince her she’ll do fine with other people I’m sure we’ll be doing full MP in no time.

So if anyone is going to slow, and they’re worried they’ll be left behind, I suspect there will be a few of us puttering along for awhile

I haven’t had much chance to play yet so I’ve only killed Pukei-Pukei (?) so far but I’m quite enjoying the shield+sword, especially it’s backstep into charge attack into jump into downwards stab combination. That said, I barely use the shield for defending, the monster’s attacks still knock me down and I take a significant amount of damage too, so it seems rather pointless.

And so I’m looking for another weapon that feels similar to 1h+s, both in responsiveness and mobility - any recommendations?

The point of blocking with the Sword and Shield is that you can use items while doing it. No other weapons allow that, you have to sheathe, use the item, and then unsheathe.

Does that apply to potions? My weapon seems to go away when I chug them.

Another question - does weapon material matter beyond just raw stats? For example, I was getting a lot of grey damage numbers with Bone long swords vs Great Jagras, and the weapon straight up bounced off its tail. I haven’t had any issues with bone charged sword and sword+shield though…

You need to be blocking while drinking the potion.

Bone weapons tend to have lower Sharpness. Either you don’t have any green Sharpness on that bone weapon at all, or it’s wearing off very quickly to yellow. That’s going to cause attacks to bounce on heavily armored parts of the monster.