Monster Hunter World!!!!!

I have watched all of Gaijin Hunter’s videos, as well as a few others. And yes I have been using the dodge->slash move, it’s great.

How? If I spam the standard Y combo (top button, not sure what it is on ps4 pads) all attacks go into the same direction, regardless of where I press my LS.

I’ve always been able to slightly adjust the angle of attack with each successive strike. You can’t do it with the overhead slashes but you can with the poke and the upwards slash. It isn’t like the lateral strike on sword and shield but more like a slight adjustment. And you can always combo into the poke so you can slightly change directions. you can press B (button on the right side, idk if its the same on all controllers) to do a poke in the middle of combos

the longsword is hard though. I’d suggest getting into roundhouse slashes by doing a fade slash into spirit blade into roundhouse. focus on tails, try to trip them, don’t get stuck doing really laggy moves like the double overheadswipe if you are against a fast monster

I mean, right?

Variable chaining combos. Mobility with the sns (that sword slide around the monster is so badass). Knock out power. Tail chopping. Not to mention the meta game of trying to land that massively powerful super amped elemental discharge. Oh and blocking. Just started blocking with the shield. It’s fucking amazing.

And the transformer/voltron quality of combining the sword and shield into a massive axe never gets old.

<3 <3 <3 Totally in love <3 <3 <3

This leads me to a larger point: for any new monster hunters who are feeling a little underwhelmed and/or frustrated with the game, change your weapon. Each weapon is an entirely different game. And the variety is absolutely stunning. There are years and years and years of game development behind these weapons, and it shows.

I’m also really starting to enjoy CB. Made some adjustments to my approach to combat and I’m generally having a much easier time now, though I still occasionally get trampled by monster charges - Rathian for example loves to run from one end to another for some reason.

I just can’t decide between S&S and CB. Both are really great but I’m leaning towards CB because the augmented shield is soooo good. On the other hand, free hand to use consumables on S&S is priceless. Argh! Decisions, decisions.

Ehhh that’s a newbie crutch. You don’t need it. ;)

Charge Blade rules! But I’m sticking to my guns and trying other weapons this time around. It’s been tough. :)

I say play whichever gives you the most joy. Also, there is nothing that prevents you from choosing the weapon of choice based on the monster or your team. You can maintain a few like quality weapons at any given time.

My sister dis Sword and Shield in Tri. She is all over the dual blades now. She adjusted to the can’t use an item whenever you like thing. I am using the SwitchAxe, but I am tempted to try something else.

The key with the charge blade is the dash in attack with Y and B. You wanna stay next to the monsters feet and kinda to the side so that they can’t charge you right away. You can roll out of the way and immediately dash back in towards their side with the dash attack.

the sword and shield and CB are very similar. They’ve got a similar sort of play style. I’d say learn both. :)

Yes! I got frustrated in 4u using the longsword and switched weapons to the Bow, which was way way easier for me to use and down monsters. Then moved to sword and shield and charge blade. They are all easier than the longsword.

this is what is great about monster hunter. You can play any weapon you want, they are only there to give you variety. Heck, go to the end of the game using one weapon then start over with another and master that! It gives monster hunter its famous longevity haha.

100% agree. Other games will tell you you have all these choices but you wind up picking a path and sticking with it. MHW is really just… gear. And while i hoarded materials early worried I wouldn’t get enough to upgrade, int he end I think I juggled 3-4 different switch axes that could have easily been 3-4 different weapons instead. Also if I want to play with someone lower than my Hunter Rank and keep the battle fair, not like not clearly out power them, you can downgrade your gear easily and mostly get back to their level.

I didn’t find out until later how to do the saved presets… or whatever they call it, where you switch your gear out with one button. I recommend using this when you get past the I am just going to use the best I can get to the the charms and mantels and maybe this weapon will be better because of immunity stuff, and you can do it for low level play too.

the more I play, the more intensely and strongly I dislike random monsters showing up on hunts. It is so GODDAMN boring. I literally had to sit and watch this fucking pink rathian sit there and fight a legiana for 15 fucking minutes. I had no dung and they literally would fly from zone to zone and just attack each other. They did no damage it seems, and i’m just not going to fight a rathian and legiana together. that is simply not my idea of fun gameplay. It is just bad. I want to fight the monster I chose not a bunch of random shit that I just have to run away from ugh. I won the fight but it was just really lame and boring.

I also hate, HATE HATE the stun mechanic. Why on earth would you punish someone who already got hit by a massive attack and is out of position and likely about to die, by STUNNING THEM IN PLACE FOR 5 SECONDS, all but ensuring a cart. It’s such a dreadfully shitty mechanic and has no place in this game at all. Why anyone would do this after street fighter example is beyond me. Such a bad game design decision. I again finished this raid, but this happens at seemingly random times for no reason except MHW saying “fuck you today”

The stun mechanic is frustrating. See: The crystal-powered Kulu at the start of the Behemoth quest chain. It has this great move where he stuns you in place, jumps back, then jumps forward smashing your face with the crystal. Insta-cart. A friend of mine nearly uninstalled the game because of how frustrating it was.

That pink rathian is always there on legiana investigations. Funtimes when the basil gets in on the action too. LOL. Pack more poo ; )

To the PS4 players who got in on the action early: everyone still playing? Or has it turned into a dip in an out kinda thing whenever new content drops? Just curious.

Have you tried throwing poo?

Thrown poo to the monster that has been in the area longer (if the monster you want to hunt is the visitor, to the other monster, if the other monster is a invader, to your monster). This monster will flee to other area.

He said he had none at the time.

Neither.

It turns out the way they did the content drops just doesn’t work for me. They kept doing these tiny content drops with like 1 hour of gameplay in them, and cycling the old ones out and new ones in. So there was never enough new stuff to at any one time to make me want to play. I really needed something like a new biome and half a dozen new monsters in one go.

True, but that is a mistake. I was frustrated at this too, it was fun sometimes, but mostly when you are 20 minutes in to a monster kill, the last thing you want to deal with is another asshole monster trying to steal your kill.

I just dung farmed for a while, and now have tons in my chest. My home is stinky, but I always have a full stack every time I go out.

The wandering monsters thing is a new mechanic, that I really like, because if you have dung, it isn’t that bad, a couple shots of poo and they always run away.

I went back to the long sword (I’m starting to suspect that my sword arm is schizophrenic) and having a muuuuch easier time than the last time I wielded it. This really is one of those games where you can feel your player skill gradually improving. The weapon has such a great moveset too and the wide swings are perfect if you mistime your attacks a bit - as long as you clip them it still counts! I made short work of Legiana and the lizards in the Vale and I’m looking forward to see what the game throws at me next.

I do have a question about armor though - I shuffled some gear around and grabbed a few pieces that seemed like a good fit for the sword, but the values are low - how much difference does +3 to attack even make? And how does it even work? Flat dmg per hit, or does it work more like attack power, increasing your total hit number?

Ya, you can’t really complain about a monster coming into a fight when the game specifically gives you a tool to deal with that situation.

It’s not bad game design for them to give you stuff, simply because you didn’t use it.

Same. I might have stuck with it anyway if the endgame “tempered monsters” system were engaging, but it’s terrible, so I couldn’t keep up interest.

If I am in the mood for an intense game, I will drop on for a event or an hour or two. The past month was rough so I backed off this game a bit, but now that PC is here I a playing because I know folks on it, one XBOX addict, MH fan, and my sister so far. I might lure in others.

They totally damage each other. You gotta use your dung pods… pink rathian isn’t even the worst of it. There are at least two later that are… unique dangerous when it comes to adding.

I had like five of them in space once… it was awesome and dangerous.