Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Yeah, I feel the clutch claw/slinger controls in general are super clunky but I usually just sheathe to do clutch claw things. I also tend to save temporal mantle for it anyways, so I’ll put the weapon away, go grab slinger ammo, put on the mantle then run around for 30 seconds chasing the monster head (or at least something close to the head)/getting it near a wall. Sometimes I’ll be smart about it and tenderize a part or two but if I get a head opening that looks like it can drive into a wall I’ll go for it since my monster head pointing skills are still kinda 50/50.

Yeah, in some weapons using the claw is really cumbersome. But in some cases they extend and enhance the weapon in a fantastic way (i.e., Hammer). Lance (despite the amazing clutch counter) and Bow got the short end of the stick though, I feel.

My two weapons! I’ve recently switched to a wide-range/mushroomancer LBG build to support my brothers who are not as good at the game, though. Maybe I ought to investigate hammer more. I dabbled in it a bit in base.

So way back I put in 50 hours into the main game. On a whim and a sale I decided to buy Iceborne. Loaded the game up again today and … holy crap I forgot how clunky the controls are. I’m finding it really hard to figure out a flow again.

What are you finding “clunky” about the controls? The game is fairly complex and some weapons have very different movesets but the last thing I’d describe monster hunter as is “clunky”. Iceborne is generally harder than the main game and HR gear is much weaker than MR gear at first

Clunky is probably not the right word, but it’s been over a year since I last played. There’s a lot of stuff that’s not standard from a keyboard/mouse perspective, combined with the weird in game menu/equipment/inventory system, potion selection/consumption controls, combined with the complexity of my weapon that I’m no longer familiar with, etc…

I had things fairly well tuned but it’s been 2 years since I played this, and trying to jump right back in and figure out all the nuances again (even without going to the IB area) is not the smoothest.

ohh, yeah, the keyboard controls are meh haha. I mean, it is actually a port of a console game. I also found them relatively clunky, and I think the game makes much more intuitive sense with a controller

Also, note that for M+K users there’s a bunch of things related to the slinger controls that are straight up different as of Iceborne because of the addition of the clutch claw and the ability to pull out the slinger without sheathing. It’s especially weird if you’re using “shooter” controls for the bowguns - I think it’s only in the very latest release they put in an option so that you don’t have to hit reload to stab the monster when on a mount.

But in general I consider the control scheme a little unforgiving and opaque - it’s like a fighting game that punishes for button mashing. Gunlance is one of my secondary weapons but I still end up firing the gunlance instead of reloading 25% of the time because of course there are frames in the gunlance attack combo where reloading too early is “wrong”. And the jumping vs dodge rolling vs superman dive hahahaha I’ll often just take what I can get.

Maybe I’ll give controller a go. I was hoping I’d be able to jump in even after 2 years of not playing and not take too long to get back in the swing (no pun intended) of things, but it’s not proving to be that smooth.

My nostalgia tells me that the new player experience did a really good job at weaning me in originally but I don’t feel like spending that much time trying to get the groove again.

No need to go through the new player experience again, just go on some hunts for some easy monsters until you get back in the groove.

I’d highly recommend a controller for this game.

If you’re new you’ll unlock MR versions of all the HR monsters as you progress, and be able to create the MR versions of their gear (which is mostly straight up better versions with better stats and slots, although sometimes they changed up the skills) so it’s worth just going on expeditions/optional quests and whacking a couple Jagras just to get (significantly) better damage output weapons. Also, if you’ve been out for a couple years there are HR event quests that drop materials for custom gear as well (e.g. the USJ events) if you need something for a sense progression. You might have missed some of the optional gear (e.g. did you grab rocksteady and temporal mantle? Although even HR Lunastra is no joke). Whacking HR monsters with MR weapons/armour is pretty forgiving (although maybe stay away from arch-tempered monsters/Behemoth/Leshen till you get more comfortable).

The single best thing about playing this game on PC must be installing updates. It is absolutely insane, owing at least partly no doubt to the PS4’s unbelievably shitty 5400rpm hard drive, how long updates take to install for this game. I have had so many potential gaming sessions ruined because we logged on to play for an hour and whoops there’s a 200mb patch that takes five seconds to download and 45 minutes to install.

I’m sure I missed those items since it’s been a good 2 years.

I did go into an expedition and got utterly destroyed by the T-Rex guy cause I was fumbling with the controls lol.

Haha, I read some advice that said, “putting the PS4 in rest mode seems to make it go faster,” so I did, and when I turned it back on ten minutes later it said 99% for a second before…resetting to 0! Just insanely awful.

Haha yeah controller is a ton easier to get back into 1000x. I still suck but it’s slowly coming back to me (though half of it is remembering how to efficiently play my main, the hunting horn).

Isn’t there a place I can go to practice my weapons? I can’t find how to access it.

Talk to your Meowskeeper.

Hunting Horn is a bit of a tricky weapon lol. You can practice in the training area, you can get there by opening your map, fast travel to astera or seliana and select training area

Once you’re in the training area, you can ask the Meowskeeper to switch the objects in the area, which changes the training pole for a training cart which is great for practicing clutch claw attacks - you can grab it’s “head” and smack it around to turn it and use slinger ammo to send it rolling (make sure to grab some slinger ammo first!)

Saw this on IGN regarding the movie… don’t know how I feel about it. :D

“We have one of the characters, Meowscular Chef, who’s the Admiral’s sidekick, who’s a fantastic character, who has this rather flirtatious relationship with Milla, which is really interesting,” Anderson revealed

WTH. That’s how I feel about it.