Monster Hunter World!!!!!

I’m unclear on Rise. I’m ready for a sequel, this seems more like a Switch… I don’t know the word I’m looking for. Sidegrade? Compromised for the Switch in some way, maybe? In any case, other than the whip thingy I’m not sure what’s new in it. Have you followed it and if so do you know if there’s much there to make it a fresh experience?

You can think of it as a sequel for Generations incorporating a lot of what has been learned in World. I’ve seen people saying that, mechanically, it’s closer to World than any other MH game, so there’s that.

It’s really World, without the crappy traversal and with proper soundtracks and esthetics.
Also it feels to me, to accomodate for the new easier navigation, ranged weapons have been nerfed big times.

Interesting. I’ll definitely have to look at it when a PC release starts rolling around. I’d totally get it on the Switch except it seems I’ve lost ownership of the device. My wife – who has never before gotten into a video game – has been consumed by Animal Crossing and it’s her Switch now. :)

World is Monster Hunter compromised for short attention PC users.

I just meant compromised in regards to the technical aspects, due to the hardware differences. :)

I know, but I’m also a big proponent of esthetics vs technicality, and World is such a downgrade on that front, to the wonderful vision that Monster Hunter had been over the years on the blurry consoles ;D
The Rise demo is much less flashy and colourful than World, but it feels also much more… pretty?

Edit: I’ll keep shitting in this thread till Capcom releases my game!!!

I started with MHW (I never owned a Nintendo handheld before, so I didn’t have access to any of the previous Monster Hunter games) but after playing it a bunch I picked up MHGU on the Switch. So the technical aspects I had in mind was things like the maps being segmented into a bunch of little rooms with loading screens between each one instead of a seamless experience. Stuff like that. Now, obviously the Switch is more capable than the 3DS but going “backwards” from World to MHGU that was pretty jarring and difficult to get accustomed to.

In terms of graphics and art, I hear you. I don’t need all the fanciest stuff, I’ll take great art and art direction over the latest tech any any time. :)

I followed the reverse Monster Hunter path, so I’ll tell you my impression.

The area presented in the Rise demo is really expansive. It may feel a little bit smaller than World’s, but it may not actually be the case: first, because it is incredibly easy to navigate thanks to the grappling hook - you’ll never wonder how to get from some place to the other; in my case I was just thinking of new places to explore while navigating -, secondly because the presentation is much more uniformized than World’s. In the single Demo area, you don’t get the feel you’re navigating multiple biomes, but a single one. This may be a minus compared to both World and traditionnal MH depending on your taste.
I personally loved the “comics formatting” effect of jumping areas and getting into wholly different spaces in traditional MH, but it made it also really easy to flee from monsters — one aspect of World that I really love is how some monsters are relentless.

God, I fucking hated this. GO. THE FUCK. AWAY. BAZELGEUSE.

Given my World group on the PS4 is unlikely to coalesce around Rise on Switch, I’ll probably wait for PC.

Really love all the new armor sets the Rise demo showcased, big aesthetic upgrade from World. Also the traversal and navigation in Rise is awesome, flipping around and exploring the maps with the wirebug feels great.

That’s awesome, thank you for sharing your perspective going in the “right” direction. :) I’ll have to look at Rise more when the PC version gets closer. It was announced very soon after I tied a bow on my hundreds of hours of MHW. So while I was definitely looking for more Monster Hunter, I was also ready for something new/fresh and I wasn’t sure if that’s what Rise was intended to deliver or if it was more of the Nintendo side “catching up” with their last several years of development on PS/Xbox/PC, if that makes any sense.

In any case, I’ll be reading the Rise thread to see yours and others impressions once it’s released. :)

This is why I deleted both World and Rise Demo, because I’m very weak, and tend to overdose on those games.

My group is on the Switch, and this may be why I’m not adhering to World much, being all alone there, them being on Xbox — It is sad that they segmented the network for that multiplatform game.

Well I’m on PC and it used to instantly start, but then it just stopped doing so.

In game loads are basically instant, but starting the game for the first time takes forever and whatever is going on in the background shits the bed until my machine finally powers through it.

Bazel is the best because he’s about the only monster that is willing to dive into shit with his face with zero warning. You’re doing your thing and suddenly a B-17 is crashing into everyone. Then he theme kicks in. It does get old when he just wont go away, but at least throwing shit at him works pretty reliably.

He just comes back! I like the monster clashes and the melees and so forth, but a couple of monsters like Bazelgeuse and Deviljho are persistent to the point that it just becomes tedious. You dung pod them. They go away. They come back. You dung pod them. They move to the next area, which your monster then moves to. Ad infinitum.

Obviously it is less visually stunning than what you’ll get in the PC version next year, yes. :)

This one has open world maps just like World does (though less complex), and in fact improves greatly on vertical traversal. It runs surprisingly well given the hardware and how nice it looks (for a Switch game), sticking to a pretty solid 30 throughout the demo.

There are two monster hunter teams. one works on “main series” releases, and one works on mobile releases. MH4u was a main series release, mhg/u was a mobile etc. MHW was a main series game and MHR is the off series / mobile game. The game directors are different so the games end up being quite different.

Bazelgeuse is my favourite actually. He’s AWESOME. Seriously. Have you seen him? His … pelt? Skin? Is frickin amazing. The roar he emits is so cool, kind of layered, and also as if he’s saying “aaarrgggghhh”.

So I’ve come to the point of nerdness where I spent my easter holiday making a frickin Excel spreadsheet listing… ALL… the events, both low/high rank and Master Rank, what the monsters are, what the rewards are, if there are special tickets involved and what those special tickets can be used for.

So… yeah. Pandemic, anyone?

You should do something more productive, like getting a Switch.

I bought IceBorne and decided to give MHW another go (had 50 hours in the pre-expansion).

I forgot how satisfying combat is in this game. I’m still rusty but got back into my hunting horn nicely.

That being said, something is royally effed up with the graphics. I used to play this at 4k and 1440p and it looked great, but right now it looks like absolute shit. Everything is blurry, despite TXAA + FXAA or DLSS everything is aliased to all hell. DLSS is ridiculously noisy and buggy (you can sometimes see objects in the background through other objects).

What I think is happening is despite running the game at 1440p in the display options, its’ really rendering at 1080p (or lower?) and upscaling. This seemed to be confirmed when I switched from borderless window to fullscreen, and you can tell by the cursor size, Steam FPS text, and the steam notification overlay that it’s WAY down-ressing.

The thing is I can’t seem to find any way to fix it. It seems stuck in low res, despite what I change in the display menu :(