Monster Hunter World!!!!!

No idea prankster, but thanks for helping me get that arena quest :-)

The first part of World is much more genrerous on loot that traditional MH game. The higher rank stuff slows down usually too; get ready for the charm grind. This part of the game is usually where the difficulty spikes as it’s basically new game plus and new game ++ with new gameplay loops. I’m actually surprised how little the difficulty bumped up here. I think it’s mostly the extra and tougher roaming monsters that effected things.

But that said…World gives you new tools to ease the grind. Always check your investigations tab for bounties that might help. Any monster you get that way will have much more loot. If you capture, then it will be even more (you don’t need a capture quest). Capturing in investigations is the biggest pool of loot per outing. Note: Merry Prankster has a different philosophy of grinding Arena fights as even the loot is less per fight, the fights are shorter since the monster can’t run. I prefer the loot in investigations, the extra farming in map, and find arena matches a bit too controlled and samey fight to fight.

The trick in investigations is to watch for their challenge modifiers and make sure you are up for it. They are random. I tend to look for ones with gold rewards at the cost of less time to hunt (if I’m grinding, I don’t need 50 minutes). I avoid conditions like “only 1 feint.” It seems like investigations tend to randomly populate with critters you’ve seen in missions lately. Just keep an eye out for ones that look doable (like all bounties) and do them when it fits.

Besides that you can also meld and buy from the Argosy ship captain.

Use all of the above. You may get lucky, but it’s unlikely to get everything you need in 1 or 2 fights. There is usually something rare and something super rare in the drops. Sometimes you get that Rathalos Plate on the first fight, sometimes you don’t. Repetition will be needed. Less for weapons, more for armor.

Right. But that was five runs of an investigation always ending with a capture, and not getting the measly three star drop that I needed. Though after giving up on that weapon, the next day I suddenly had the missing piece. Must have gotten lucky with a Tailrider Safari.

Yeah, unfortunately they both have very limited stock. Elder Melder is better now that I defeated Nergigante. But unless I’m misunderstanding something, the good stuff requires Gold Wyvern Prints and you can only get one every five days for the timed bounties. (And the first time you’re going to get a useless Silver Print).

I now needed a Legiana Gem and Wyvern Gem, and had to choose which one to invest my single Gold Print in. Picked the Legiana since I’d fought six of those bastards in the last two days with no useful drops, and since it seemed like a Wyvern Gem would be much easier to grind since it drops from pretty weak monsters. But again it’s proving pretty elusive; there can’t be many Barroths left in the world :)

I hate you.

I tried out some MP last night, joining in some SOS flare quests. The first one I tried, an anajanath basically one shot me and the quest failed. Must have been the 3rd faint. So…oops? Do people get pissed when you try and help but fail? I felt bad but there wasn’t much I could do about it! I’ve done pretty well hunting things on my own so far.

I am guessing they are not pleased. It would be nice if it told you have many they have left. The SOS confuses me though. I’ve joined a couple and we took the thing down in a couple of minutes… disappointingly fast. I barely got to figure out my groove with other people.

I had days of nothing but successful hunts, then last night I was the 3rd death on a Rathian. Two people had already died before I got there and a surprise Anjanath didn’t help cure the poison after catching the tail. Then the mission after that failed as well since it was 2-3 monsters all fighting the whole time. Some missions are just doomed to fail. The rest of the night went completely smooth. I wouldn’t worry too much about dying, just be sure to always bring max potions and well-cooked steak so you won’t have terrible HP and stamina after dying. Maybe chug an Armorskin as well. Also it cuts to quest failed so fast that unless the other people saw you get hit, they won’t know it was you.

Can anyone here give me an honest opinion on how the grind is in this game? From the reviews, they don’t mention it too much, but in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite it hit you like a brick wall after a honeymoon period of a few hours or so.

I did the math once, and the one suit of armor that was any good to me required something like 5 crab kidneys at a 15% drop chance at every fight clocking at 15 minutes or so. So that’s 11 hours just to climb one rung of the equipment ladder. Then there’s the time I fought a monster solo (mind you, multiplayer was not so easy on PSP) for 50 minutes of optimized hitting and hitting and sharpnening and hitting… and the timer ran out. Ha ha.

I was done with the game then.

On one hand, the grind is intense, in that there is a seemingly never ending ladder of new equipment and weapons. There is no end in sight, after playing for a long time.

But the “grind” is running around, murdering and capturing monsters, which is extremely fun… So I dunno if it’s really a grind at all. I’ve not hit any situation where I’ve had to do anything I didn’t want to do.

I can’t think of a better way to phrase this, but I can’t figure out how to fight well in this game.

I’m using the sword and shield, and it feels like I’m just flailing. Not because I’m just buttton mashing, but because I can’t figure out a good camera system. It’s hard to tell if I’m actually close enough to a head or tail to hit it, I’ll often start an attack combo and end up attacking in the completely wrong direction when the monster moves, or end up smashing away at some armored part because I apparently am not actually targeting the head hitbox, or because the head is too high in the air so I can’t hit it, or whatever.

In particular, I seem completely unable to land any kind of meaningful climb up/stun combo. I can occasionally mount the monster, but you are also supposed to be able to drop on its head and smash with your shield. That never happens. Generally speaking, I can’t control the guy when he is in flight, and the monster has always moved (let alone the fact that you really can’t even control well where you are flying upward to start with). Even when I fill the combo and launch into the air, I’m inevitably falling somewhere to the side of the monster, making the final downward shield bash meaningless.

I feel like there is something I am missing to the game, some better system of control that I’m not grasping.

Man I love this game. It makes me want to upgrade to an Xbox One X so the game stops running like crap.

I just got an achievement for completing 50 Investigations. Apparently less than 2% of MHW players on this platform have done this. How is this even possible?

I’ve also played like 70 hours, but am still only rank 8. I tend to enjoy grinding more than story stuff.

I’m at the last boss of the story mode, about 70 hours in. Maybe 6 hours of that was proper grinding for either money or a specific missing monster part. The part hunting was generally both unsuccessful (I gave up in disgust before getting the part) and unnecessary (turns out I could advance just fine with existing equipment or parallel upgrades). The money grind was useful, but you can usually combine it with other things you need to do to advance the story.

I do for example regret the Jura grinding described in an earlier post, since everything about that fight is so boring. On the other hand I ran Nergigante 7 times today looking for a gem (didn’t get it, but don’t really need it to finish the game either). That was a ton of fun, since that particular battle always feels like balancing on a razor’s edge. I can win it in 15 minutes, or I can die due to greed or sloppy play. No regrets there.

So at least for the rather substantial duration of the story mode you can just pick the battles that are fun, and there will be some kind of build available that can be used to advance the game.

Similar to what Timex said. On paper, it’s grind but it doesn’t feel like grind because it’s actually fun. Grind is just more of the game.

I just hit the first monster I was not prepared for, and it had nothing to do with skill and everything to do with wrong armor and wrong weapons and… I might have been able to win if I didn’t chicken out and take my break items home with me, the thing was limping on my 2nd feint.

The thing is, i don’t look up monsters ahead of time, so I rely on in-game information to tell me what I should be doing, at least the first 2-3 times.

I’ve also done several online quests now, a lot better stability that last few nights, and I am not even close the most challenged in the group! I make the end score thing, sometimes, and I answered an SOS where I thought for sure he was not going to make it (he based on the name). I totally carried us in the fight, did most the damage, and it was awesome.

I have decided that I really, really hate the online quest system. I don’t know why they can’t just do lobbies like everyone else. It’s so cumbersome and everything is divided and when you join an Expedition with an SOS… what do you do… just follow people around picking off monsters there? I assume that’s the goal.

Loving Monster Hunter World! I ended up getting a PS4 Pro the other day since there was a good trade in at Game Stop and unfortunately my saves were not properly backed up. I had to restart from the beginning, and honestly I haven’t minded one bit. World really is that good! :)

I will say the game really does run better on the Pro. I have it set to optimize frame rate and it’s noticeably smoother. Glad I upgraded. I curious how other things like GT Sport will look on it, if. can pry myself away from hunting Dinos.

Make sure you set the Pro as your primary console. Also I assume you manually browsed the cloud saves?

It seems the pro defaulted to being my Primary PS4…I think. At least it lists it as the primary one when I went to check that.

I did manually check my saves, but I had changed the setting at one point to not back stuff up and I forgot to do a save before I traded my old one in. Oh well.

It is, by about 10 frames. Looking forward to > 120fps on PC! Which is not an unreasonable expectation given how the framerate seems to be unlocked on PS4. :)

Have you tried the ‘favour resolution’ option? I’ve taken to using that recently (at 1080p) as it makes the mid-far scenery a lot cleaner and sharper.

HR29 and credits rolled. Very long credits. Ones that couldn’t be skipped, just like every other cutscene in the game. Did you know that 8 UI designers worked on this game? What would you imagine they did? That’s the kind of thoughts that go through your mind when you have to watch this sequence instead of getting back to the base and seeing what new systems were unlocked, and what new gear you could make.

The final boss monster was a real pain. First time I probably got him to about 25% health in 40 minutes, so wouldn’t have beaten it even if I hadn’t reached the fainting limit. Some of the elemental attacks were one-shotting me from 80% health. Unfortunately you couldn’t see the damage type in the monster manual, but I made a guess and spent a couple of hours putting together the perfect armor set for that fight (taking me from -15 to 35 resistance on that element, and some really good offensive skills).

Made it through the whole fight without dying, and the resists definitely helped (feels like a single attack took at most 40% of health now; so staying at near-max allowed for being hit, stunned, and hit again). Still a lot of close calls; was down to 5 minutes on the clock, a sliver of health, and a single normal healing potion.

Unfortunately nothing exciting opened up. Elder Melder has a new slot machine that I fed a ton of decorations into, and got fewer and worse ones back in return. And there’s an extra specialty gear slot, which will definitely make some of the gear more viable. But the weapon tree didn’t extend, the canteen didn’t get any more cats, and there was just a one new set of armor. And I can’t even build that without lucking into some investigations for the boss (Elder Dragon investigations don’t exactly grow on trees).

I’m guessing there must be something more to the progression than that?

Ones complaint about this game…
Trying to play with friends is insanely terrible. It’s like these guys have no idea how parties or anything have worked for the past 15 years.

It’s so terrible.

I actually think that playing with friends works pretty well once you get used to it. I like that you can just all coexist in a room and then join quests or do your own thing. It’s easy to set up a squad and then people can come and go as they please.

I do wish there were fewer quests that only allow you to launch in single player, but for me that’s kinda minor.