Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Why should we get used to it though? I mean, grab a few friends, play together for the night but no… it’s cumbersome for sure.

I guess it only took me a few minutes to get used to it so I didn’t notice and now I actually really like it.

Fair enough if you don’t. like most things in this world Monster Hunter isn’t for everyone.

Are you trying to be a smart-ass? You think because grouping is a pain in the ass someone isn’t allowed to enjoy the rest of the game? It’s ridiculously cumbersome to just play with the same people for a few hours. Heck it’s not even that handy if you find a group and you want to just continue with them.

I really don’t get any complaints about the online system. If you want to play with the same people, you just join the same instance or just make a squad together, right? What am I missing? My biggest problem is my girls like to hang out in the same room when I’m playing sometimes so I can’t use voice chat.

I enjoy joining SOS games and playing with random people, even though we still fail occasionally. I’ve been clearing my optional quests this way lately, like the ‘get wyvern eggs in Ancient Forest’ one.

Whenever I’m online and doing a hunt with 1 player, it seems to always lose connection 3/4 through. So I’ve been disuaded from actually trying to play with others so far!

You are describing the cool part, while ignoring the bad part.

Here’s the bad part.

Say I want to play with a friend. How do I do that? There’s no way in the game to join him.

So I can get to the ps4 menu, and join him through that. Or he can send me an invite. Will that bring me into his actual game? Lolno.

If I do that, it brings me into his session. Oh, and doing that also ends my game, which laughably doesn’t save what I’m doing, so I can potentially lose progress depending on what I last did. And if I join his session, it involves essentially exiting the game and going back to the character selection screen, then going through they loading screens, and finally I’m put into his session.

And at THAT point I can go to the quest giver and join his quest. Unless he’s on a story mission, at which point I can only do it if I’ve completed it already, and he’s watched all the cutscenes.

Oh, and sometimes it just gets it if sync, and you can’t join their session at all, unless you reboot your entire ps4… Which is not something I have ever seen before in any game.

Seriously, it’s appallingly bad.

But this is kind of my only complaint about the game, because the game itself is awesome. But it’s just such a huge pain to play with my friends, which sucks because when we do play together it’s awesome.

I had to completely shut-down my machine and restart MHW too fix some of that. I have no idea why because every other application, literally everything but MHW, was online and working while that game can’t even reestablish a connection.

It’s a long-standing PS4 system bug that suspending while a game is running can break online connectivity for that game until you quit and restart, so that might not be Capcom’s fault. I had the same problem in Bloodborne and Dark Souls.

Well that explains some of it at least. This is not the “things just work” console player claims I’ve been hearing for years though.

Hmm I’m sure I’ve re-connected in MH after resuming a suspend before though. There’s an option to do so when picking quests.

Regardless, the instances of disconnection I’m referring to happen after a fresh boot of the game, 3/4 through a quest. Maybe it was early teething troubles and things are better now? Or maybe it’s Au internet infrastructure. :)

I have to shut the machine off, power it down completely to get it to connect again. As soon as I do, everything is fine for the rest of the night.

Sounds like a lot of trouble… luckily I don’t mind playing alone. ;)

29 is just the first major gate, then you do something and more happens. Then at 49 you hit another one and do something and more happens. At 49 make sure you’ve done certain stuff before you do the thing or the other stuff gets harder than it likely should be.

spoiler free advise isn’t always all that helpful

I realize xb and ps aren’t the same, but I’ve had to have my xb1 in the mode where it turns off all the way when I turn it off instead of the fast turn on for much the same reason. If you don’t then network stuff doesn’t work properly in some games when you resume. I imagine PS4 is similar and it’s probably best to just use whatever energy saving mode they have so you have a fresh start for each session at the cost of a slower boot up on power on.

To be clear, this is different from those games.

In past games, coming back from a suspend would require that you reconnect to go online… which, while annoying, was far better than what sometimes happens in MHW.

There have been times when the PS4 needs to actually be fully reset. Even exiting the game itself doesn’t fix it. I’m not sure how this even happens, but it’s the first game I ever encountered it.

Upgrading my bow to level 7 has made a lot of monsters much easier.

Now for missions I take my build, that have a lot of defensiveness stacked and tools like flash bugs and explosive barrels.

Flash bug are really usefull to get the monster stunned long enough so somebody would break a part or get on top the creature.

This is the part that confuses me. I am not in MHW. I quit and saved, on the main page even. It goes to sleep, I wake it up with the controller and MHW won’t connect at all or is spotty. Everythingn else, literally any other online app, the store, HULU, VUDU… everything else is fine. MHW won’t do sessions. No amount of restarting the game, which wasn’t running in the first place, fixes this. I have to power down the machine completely and then everything is golden. It’s super annoying…

I didn’t realize at first what was going on, and it took a couple of trial and errors for me to realize it is literally only MHW that has the problem… the machine never lost connection which makes sense because mine is wired.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about though. Some software (in this case MHW) can’t use the network adapter to it’s full extent if the system has been put to sleep and resumed. Only a full power off works. XB1 has the same issue with the quick-on feature. Sometimes when you resume certain games think you have a moderate or strict NAT and others don’t. A restart fixes it. I just always power down completely now and it’s never a problem.

The short answer is that something in the way it suspends and resumes doesn’t actually refresh the network connection fully.

I find it amazing that this long a release, the networking STILL is an issue on the Xbox. I’m not sure if its the same issues on PS4, but SOMETHING is happening.

Yeah they’re really struggling with it on Xbox. The new patch that dropped yesterdayish had another apology and plea for patience attached.