Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Doing an investigation online with three others, we were fighting the two big dragon birds in the Ancient Forest. Or rather they were fighting each other and we’d keep jumping in to beat on them. Then someone unleashed the flood and it swept one away to die. I kept working on the other, then it flew off. So I jumped down to carve the first one but it disappeared right before I landed (the others were finishing their carve animations.) So I started after the survivor but someone got there first and fainted, ending the mission. Ended up getting absolutely squat for my efforts.

It’s not like you absolutely would have to “carve the body.” If you are in a quest where killing a large monster sets off the end game timer, there’s no reason you couldn’t just be given the items if you are still alive and in game. It’s just a game design decision, nothing else.

I’m not the one who originally brought it up. I am not even the second person to question that mechanic here. I’m the third, and there is no way they’re doing that for performance reasons since the quest is literally ending, and it seems a questionable mechanic in the first place. It’s kind of fun to see the animation vs, here’s the box for your random carved items and here is the box for your quest based rewards. At the same time, you can say it’s better than from the past games, definitely better than Tri, but at the same time ask why the timer is there at all, which a few of us are doing. Just because it’s always been that way, is not really a great explanation.

Well you’re kind of moving the goalposts there to talk about a specific instance. I was referring to the system overall used throughout all the games as initially brought up by @rowe33, not the one edge case where a quest ends. I should have replied to him to make that clearer rather than drop a reply to no-one in the thread.

I didn’t even realise that big monsters disappear at quest end, I’ve never seen it happen!

True. @rowe33 did say that but @Chowhound replied to his post specifying the quest end. I didn’t move the goalpost since I replied right after Chowhound did, and I am referencing both previous replies.

Most games do not have the bodies disappear that quickly after a kill and certainly not some 60 second countdown at the end. In a 4 person quest, it just doesn’t make much sense at all.

Just gotta love GreatSword!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLoRquqikaI

I tried one of the big swords today. I always think they are cool. But then I try one, and I just can’t ever get a handle on it, so back to dual blades for me.

I’ve only used the 2h sword in my first 100 hours. I’m saving all the other stuff for later to make things fresh when I need to.

I’m very slow playing games that my gaming group isn’t in… but I did manage to take out Anjanth during the first go around. I used the sword part of my Switch Axe, a lot. Not switching back fast enough led to a couple of feints, but I got him in the end. It was… satisfying.

We know about the 6 million because we already got the in-game reward for it. But apparently this makes MHW the fastest-selling Capcom title ever to hit that number:

Monster Hunter: World has shipped 6 million units, becoming the fastest Capcom title to reach this milestone in company history.

Press release also contains small amount of info about future cross-promotional plans, mentioning a Hollywood film adaptation:

Beginning in the spring of 2018 Capcom plans to hold qualifying events in seven areas across Japan leading up to the Monster Hunter: World Kariou Playoffs, which will determine the top hunter in the country. What’s more, Capcom will roll out further cross-industry initiatives to increase long-term brand value and capture an even wider fan base, such as with a Hollywood film adaptation of the series and the Monster Hunter: The Real attraction currently running at Universal Studios Japan.

I read that too; good for them.

I am little confused on the numbers though because they said the original 5 mil included retailer sold not sell through, not to consumer. So is the 6 million in the hands of consumers or is some of that still on the shelves? Either way they’re excited about, and I am too. I hope this makes the effort to PC even sweeter.

Yeah I’m not sure. They say ‘shipped’ but then mention digital sales:

shipped 6 million units worldwide (including digital download sales)

Maybe the digital sales is the 1 mil. It was 5 before. I mean either way they seem super-pleased I just find the way they’re counting to be odd. Then again, PC gamer here, I am not used to looking at physical copies much at all… now.

Shipped means shipped, not “sold to consumers”. Both the 5m and 6m numbers are for the former metric,. But both explicitly included digital sales. The difference between the 5m and the 6m is the passage of time.

This game really is great. It’s both rewarding to play, and incredibly frustrating at times… but more along the lines of a dark souls frustration.

A buddy put it well, “God damn, every mob in this game is a grief mob.”

The AI is generally well done, and extremely mean spirited, often to hilarious effect. It’s so good at targeting you when you’re weak.

Are elemental damage and resists meant to be a honeypot?

I ask because I did what I thought was supposed to be the good Monster Hunter thing. I researched the Anjanath and saw that he had fire breath and weakness to water. So I craft some water swords and as much fire resist gear as I can manage. I go pick a fight and get wrecked – set on fire a few times and doing less damage than I was with my regular bone swords.

So I switch back to all my regular gear, and it goes fine. Should I just ignore all the elemental information I see? Or am I doing it wrong?

At least up to HR 12 I haven’t found any particular value in elemental defense; if I’m really worried about That One Attack I’ll just bring and use the appropriate consumables.

Elemental attack on the other hand makes it really fast to wipe out monsters. It can be hard to quantify even with the damage numbers, though - they get modified by so many things that it’s difficult to tell if the numbers are higher because of elemental weakness, area targeted, or one of the various buffs you can have.

I use elemental stuff to my advantage all the time, like switch my gear.I have no “main” gear, although I am always working on some set to replace other gear. No amount of elemental gear though will let me take Anjanth’s fire straight on the face at my rank though. I am fairly convinced if I had an overall fire weakness I wouldn’t have done well with him. Then again, not getting is always the better option. Are you sure you just didn’t evade or block better the second time?

Elemental defense is definitely important in some fights. Having 30 points in the appropriate element can be the difference between a nasty AOE attack taking 80% of your HP in damage vs. 40%. The former means you have to stay at full health all the time, and even so might still die if stunned. The latter leaves way more room for error. Likewise the status effect immunities from resist skills can be a huge deal (just having 1-2 levels of a status effect resist I find mostly useless though; it’s either 0 or 3).

But… That’s assuming that you’re not giving up significant amounts of physical defense when optimizing for the elemental defense. Let’s say you’re fighting an Anjanath early: it’s much better to have 50 defense / 0 fire than 30 defense / 20 fire. You’re going to get hit by a normal attack a lot more than an elemental one.

The elemental damage might or might not be a red herring, it depends totally on your weapon. The thing to understand about the damage formula is that the physical damage and elemental damage numbers shown in the weapon information are at totally different scales and have different modifiers applied to them.

The basic idea is that for elemental/ailment attacks the only thing that matters is the number of hits you get; the weapon type, the attack type, sharpness, etc don’t matter. So a hammer user should totally ignore elemental damage (and maybe even avoid having an elemental weapon in the first place, so that they can slot in a non-elemental boost decoration). While for a dual blade user elemental damage is a big contributor to the total DPS.

Hmm, that’s good information. Thank you! Your point about defense is good to know. I definitely would have taken a defense hit to equip the elemental stuff. I guess I’ll just keep everything up to date!