Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Most of the past titles had snow environments, in fact one of our friends was complaining bitterly about the lack of a snow environment in this one. They required the use of “Hot Drinks”, much like “Cool Drinks” are required in the lava zones.

But yeah, there are/were some pretty awesome monsters that resided there. Maybe they’ll add a snow area in a later update?

Historically they prefer overpriced re-releases. Maybe we’ll get lucky and the sales numbers will make them rethink that plan.

I’d buy Monster Hunter World Ultimate if it came out on Switch (or on PC at the same time).

I’m progressing so slowly through this game, but it’s so satisfying. I’m twelve hours in and just finished the mission with the barriers. I keep getting distracted and farming monster parts so I can forge all the available equipment before I move on.

Yeah, this is true, and I’d absolutely buy MHWU if that was the only choice for extra content, but since this is the first title they are actually marketing to the west (compared with previous titles in which the western audience is mostly an afterthought) maybe they’ll change that strategy. We’ll see.

My hope is that if they do come out with an Ultimate version it’s this fall, coinciding with the PC release (which of course would be Ultimate). Maybe their pushing of cosmetic DLC this time around will mean no second release?

They really haven’t released them on DLC friendly platforms until now though.

PSP and 3DS had no issues handling DLC.

Capcom has to tread carefully with any DLC plans for this game, now that it’s proven to be successful in the west and the best-selling PS4 game in Japan. There’s no good delivery method for new content that will satisfy new players (particularly in the west), series fans (particularly in Japan), and shareholders (who probably want $200 worth of DLC packs, another $60 boxed release, and loot boxes).

What do the little icons that sometimes appear next to monsters on the minimap mean?

I know the skull means the monster is almost dead and can be captured (from the in-game tutorial). I am guessing that the little exclamation mark that some times appears means the monster is running or about to run.

But there are other little icons, like sometimes a couple of “U” shapes fitted together that appear, and I don’t know what they mean.

EDIT: I googled before I posted this, but found something after. Apparently those “U” shapes are an eye, and means the monster has discovered you or is enraged (depending on the color)?

I think the biggest obstacle to a DLC plan is that I don’t think most players come even close to the end of the game. That means any expansion content needs to have new stuff throughout; you can’t just tack on an endgame zone like it was Dark Souls.

Honestly, I have less of a problem paying for another full copy than I do with starting over again. I’m OK with some of the rehashed content in this one because of all the changes and because much of it is somewhat or completely optional, but I’m not paying $60 to replay most of that yet again. If they’re going to go the Madden route again they need to add some savegame importing.

I’d pay some serious money for a spread like this, with friends and/or family of course.

The Ultimate/G releases do have save importing.

I plan to start again with the PC version, of course. I would very likely not repurchase or replay the whole thing on my console though. You’d think they could come up with a way to release content throughout the ranks though.

It’s a universal truth that you can’t please everyone. :)

But are these different shareholders to the ones from Generations, 4U, etc? Because the only difference to before that I see is the addition of new Western fans. And they are notoriously entitled and difficult to please whatever you do. ;)

MH always had a good record of free support - 4U got a free DLC pack each month for 9 months. Capcom already promised ‘regular content updates’ (which I think we’re already seeing through the event hunts etc.?) as well as free ‘major title updates’, the first of which will be at the very least a new monster Devilhjo.

I think everyone can get behind that plan, except of course some will still complain that it’s not enough, should have been in at launch, not added fast enough, or whatever…

Beyond that the question becomes what happens with G-Rank, and the PC release. I’m not sure but I don’t think the West has ever had both versions before on the same platform? At least not recently - Tri/3U were different platforms, we got 4U but not 4, and we got Generations but not G-Rank (XX).

So it’s new territory, but what’s to stop them releasing MHW G-Rank as both a stand-alone title and as DLC to potentially appeal to both audiences? I’m not sure it would be ready in time for the PC release, as traditionally it’s added quite a few extra monsters and these higher fidelity assets obviously take a lot longer.

I believe we got both Freedom (Monster Hunter Portable 2nd) and Freedom Unite (Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G), but that’s it.

Also, all the free DLC in the 3DS games was “on-disc” - they had the capacity for real DLC, but didn’t use it.

Ah ok, thanks.

Didn’t realise the 3DS content was already there and they were just trickling it out to maintain interest! It sure felt like add-on/bonus stuff at least, and not cut content.

I loathe the big monster barrier missions. Just got past the Colossal mission and now need to absorb the new stuff!

I think this is unfairly applied to several different groups of fans. If a game feels complete and come with a lot of what content that was in previous games… you don’t see this complaint as often. I mean strip out most the stuff memorable in Sims and Civilization, don’t replace it with new and exciting content, then sell the “old” a piece at a time after launch, and sure you’ll see some complaints.

Based on some Wiki’s it looks like there are monsters from previous games here, but there are also a number that are brand new with this entry. There is way more here than was in Tri. It sounds like there was a bigger game out there, but the game doesn’t seem incomplete. Free content is awesome, especially if you’re trying to convince people to buy it a year out on PC.

I’ll wait and see what they do, but I don’t think the west is really that stingy so much as not dedicated enough to just assume we’ll rebuy the same game, at fully price for just a little more content.

I don’t understand the design of tempered investigations at all. At this point I have no interest in fighting a non-tempered monster (with a couple of exceptions). They’re not challenging any more and I’ve got almost all the pieces I need from them. Which is fine; it’s just like I basically never went back to low rank after unlocking high rank.

But will the game just let me play against tempered monsters? Oh, hell no. The only way you get tempered monster investigations is by finding tempered monster tracks. And want to fight tempered Elder Dragons? Haha, that’s a good one. Guess you should load an expedition, find the one tempered Elder track on the map, reload to another map, find the one Elder track, and repeat about 20 times until you’ve got enough of those to unlock one investigation.

It’s just the most pointless wasting of players’ time I can remember seeing. This is already a 200 hour game. It did not need to be padded like this.

(Apparently the recommended way to not get fucked by this is to instead spend an hour farming the HR49 quest for tracks before actually winning it.)

Yep, this is exactly what our group did. And there’s absolutely no way we would have known to do this if one of us hadn’t happened to see it on the Monster Hunter subreddit. We luckily found out about it before we completed the quest.

I’ve got no complaints. :)

But I’ve seen some upset that this game is ‘small’ in comparison to the prior games. And by monster count it certainly is. Bigger than Tri/3, but World has far fewer monsters than the more recent 3DS games.

Of course in the past they’ve kind of been able to just add new ones on, without really needing to rebuild many assets. With World though they would have needed to rebuild everything to a higher standard which takes more time.

Monster Counts by Game
Game Small Monsters Large Monsters Total
MH3 17 18 35
MH3U 22 51 73
MH4 20 52 72
MH4U 23 75 98
MHX (Generations) 34 73 107
MHXX 36 93 129
MHWorld 18 31 49

Looking at the numbers, it reminds me how amazing it was that they got all that game into a 3DS. Plus makes me think about importing XX for my Switch… :)