Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Suit elements called ‘mantles’; they mentioned they have a cool-down and there are different types, like ones that lure monsters.

The green sparkles are called ‘scout flies’ (unsure if official term), which indicates that maybe they’re used like the paintberries to track monsters?

The ‘slinger’ hooks onto ‘certain parts’ of the environment, so you can’t use it everywhere. It can shoot rocks to create distractions.

No underwater combat, or ‘prowler’ mode. Probably no hunter arts either. But Palicoes are present, thank grud!

Using Capcom’s MT Framework engine, targeting 30 fps on all platforms. Hopefully that doesn’t include PC… :P

14 weapons? Tri had half that unless they double count them?

Tri had 12 weapon types: Sword/Shield, Great Sword, Long Sword, Dual Blades, Hammer, Switch Axe, Hunting Horn, Lance, Gunlance, Bow, Light Bowgun, Heavy Bowgun.

MH4 added Insect Glaive and Charge Blade to make 14.

Tri didn’t have dual blades. I guess i didn’t count the horn either.

I didn’t count the bow gun as two or the lance or the big sword, okay i see where the numbers are coming from then if they’re splitting it like that.

Oh and thank you.

Heavy bowgun and light bowgun require radically different playstyles. They’re just as unique as any of the other weapons.

I’ve played one game, and followed one game. I didn’t realize how the weapons were “counted” which is why I asked.

The manual even says, and I quote “The Bowgun is made of three parts, the frame, the barrel and the stock.” It comes in three types, light, medium and heavy. I assumed it was counted as… one.

If the fandom counts it like mentioned above, their count makes more sense to me now.

I didn’t actually play Tri, but in 3U they split Tri’s customizable bowgun into two discrete entities, the light and heavy. I guess that’s where they introduced the dual blades too.

Just found this!

The Bow, Gunlance, Hunting Horn and Dual Swords weapon classes are not included in Monster Hunter Tri.

So it appears it was kinda cut down as those are all in 3U.

I’m surprised that thing is still around.

I guess Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen is a good base point of comparison for a PC version. I recall that it ran pretty well, only had FXAA, but at least refresh went up to 150hz.

I didn’t realize there was a traditional Bow, like ordinary bow. I might like that.

Okay my initial thought when i read the 14 weapons was hey… that sounds like a lot more than Tri. I can continue to have the sentiment and look forward to trying other things. I chose the switchaxe for most of my meager MH experience. It gave me flexibility.

As someone who has been playing monster Hunter for over a decade I would say the Monster Hunter community is very welcoming to pug players. I’ll be playing on PS4 for sure, and I’m happy to play with folks looking to try out the series and want a little help learning the systems.

Bows (and Bowguns) are actually pretty challenging to learn and use effectively so I wouldn’t recommend them to a beginner looking for a smooth entry to the series. Switch Axe is kinda tricky as well, and can frustrate a team quickly if you don’t know how to use it properly since it tends to send a lot of the team flying ( there is no friendly damage, but there is knockdown). That’s a huge problem in a coordinated team looking to stagger.

I’d suggest either Longsword of Dual Blades for a beginner since you get great damage and/or status as a general rule, with good movement and pretty straightforward use.

Well I am not a total newbie, and I did play MP on Tri. I really enjoyed the switch-axe. I hated the the blowgun and found the sword and shield so-so. I eagerly looking forward to experimenting with all of them again though. If anyone gets frustrated with me for not “doing it right,” then that’s not the person for me to play with. Most the time though, i did fine.

Given that it’s Capcom, and the quality of their latest fighting game installments (they’ve had 2 straight disasters and the upcoming one looks just as bad) , this is definitely a wait and see release, but I am interested.

Given that the development team’s previous game was the rather well-received Monster Hunter 4, I’d say it’s alright to be a little excited rather than wary. :)

Cool. From you’re posts I thought you had kinda bounced off MH Tri. Sorry if I misread it (I do that sometimes). Switch Axe is definitely vicious once you get used to it, though I never really mastered it. Greatsword has always been my jam.

I could never figure out how to effectively use any of the ranged weapons. Then again I blame that more on the 3ds controls than anything else.

Yeah, it’s a lot of learning to manage different ammo types so you are using the right stuff at the right time for the desired effect. That means not only knowing what all that stuff is and how to use it, but also switching in the fly. Plus, depending on how well the melee portion of the team is able to press you can find yourself having to dodge a lot too.

It’s a complicated role, but you can really do some cool stuff once you learn it. Plus, there have been certain things (skypiercers) that are basically unattainable (a solid hammer/knockdown team can do it, but it’s a lot harder) without a solid gunner team. Still, running roughshod over an elder dragon (Alatreon) with a 4 man gunner team that’s really on point is so sweet!

I didn’t lose interest in Tri at all, my sister did courtesy of the second underwater battle and the lack of having anyone else to play with us. It was hard enough finding someone with a Wii to want to play these games… and then the fact the couples were split, like they’d have to have two Wiis for each to play online just made the game really hard for my gaming circle to get enough people to keep going.

If a new promising MH had been released with the other consoles, PS4 or Switch, I would already own one of those. For some reason I just assumed it would never go to XBOX. Oh I have a 3DS but the idea of playing a game like this on it was not appealing at all and no one else i know has a 3DS, so that’s no fun.

Fair enough. Honestly I mostly have PUGed in Monster Hunter (though Chaplin has played a good bit with me too) and the community is really small and welcoming since PUGing is basically how people have generally had to play.

If you end up on PS4 and want someone to play with I’m always down for skinning a Los for some shiny new boots! :)

Oh yes, there will be much monster chopping going on in PS4 town! I’ve never messed around with the ranged weapons since most of my playtime in the 3DS versions was solo, but I’ll be hitting up some Greatsword and Sword & Shield for sure. Will probably try out some bow if Merry can manage to keep some aggro!

Is there any sort of support weapon in MH? Is everyone pretty much dps?