Monster Hunter World!!!!!

Cheers. So it’s as I thought, you look for quest prompts and then check how many slots are available. I thought there might be some hidden even more streamlined option available for automatically joining with people in your party, hence why I asked.

I’m liberally consulting this guide every time I switch a weapon or want to upgrade it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY-KpJRTwTQ

Check it out, maybe you’ll get some ideas. But I do understand exactly what you mean - monsters have a ton of hit points and our weapons in the beginning are rather weak.

There might be. .I haven’t tried the squad thing yet. My current group only wants to do private sessions. I am encouraging them to let us go to the main online sessions instead. I gotta build confidence, but really. Barroth is the next one, the water snake is mine so barely ahead… once I convince them it’s okay to not be perfect, and we can group with others and do… fine, they’ll do it. They’re like me, almost never play with random people but with Monster Hunter… it’s the only game I have ever primarily played with randoms and it was a good experience. I assume the PC crowd is similar.

It was confusing to watch because sometimes there would be a small damage number, like 20 dmg or something, and other times it would just be nothing. so I just assumed they weren’t really damaging each other and it was for show… still don’t quite get it.

it was also during the main questline to hunt a pink rathian, so I just wasn’t thinking about it. It wasn’t even that the rathian was bad to fight or whatever (although they are just not my favorite to fight like some others), its just that because i forgot dung i was kind of locked completely out of the fight, or forced to try and deal with two monsters randomly aggroing me. i just had to wait for them to move to different areas, but then they’d actually follow each other there and start fighting. thats my main criticism of it. I will pack dung though.

the stun thing just sucks in general. it doesn’t make sense to me. If they wanted the move to be extra punishing, i think it should just ko in one hit or do more damage, why does it need to knock you over, then stun you, watching helplessly as you die?

Do you every play in groups? I am just wondering if you might like it better. I ask because stuff like forgetting dung pods, well out of 4, someone probably has it. It’s just a difference experience.

the game is a lot different in a group, it’s fun and great but usually quite a lot easier, especially at my level. It’s never really any challenge to beat a monster with 4 people… that was sort of my experience in MHG as well, could easily do Rajang (non g rank) with 4 but got smashed as a solo.

I’m just going to add dung to my loadouts. i still dont love monsters randomly joining in. but its obviously here to stay lol

Fair enough. And yeah I was trying to spoil too bad but Deviljho, when they add him, the lion bomber, and later that stupid dog can all be unpleasant surprises. The five monster battle royal I experienced on PS4 had all three of them plus two usuals for that area.

There’s plenty of equipment that gives stun resistance (either reducing the duration or eliminating the stuns completely). But it’s going to mean trading off something else; coming up with the right armor build for your playstyle / a specific opponent is half the fun.

Anyone tried this over Steamlink? Is the lag tolerable? Or is it impossible to play?

Sorry I have not tried Steamlink.

I am completely sold on the KB/M now. I beat that silly shocking squirrel, that one that took me like 4-5 tries on PS4, my first go this time. I am fairly certain it’s because I can swing the camera better with him, but also I have learned more… but yeah! Next up, fiery T-Rex and I might getting closer to out of cut-scene hell too.

I have been playing over steamlink on Ethernet. It has been fine for me.

Thanks! Good to know. Now, I just need to figure out if I afford to find time for this!

If it helps, I’ve mostly been playing the game in short bursts - each mission is contained and has a clear goal - which because of the nature of the game usually ends up in hunting a large boss-like monster which is satisfying in its own right. So you can easily do a single 10 to 20 minute long mission, take a break and return later.

Ah. So did they shortened the battles? When I was playing on the PSP, battles typically last at least 20mins, especially when I had not farmed up the necessary weapons yet.

But it certainly looks fun!

getting tired of all the issues with this game. Been trying to do negigante, finally get a group that doesnt wipe right away, about half way through the fight I get disconnected error and am forced to try to take down the 3x monster hp by myself. so bullshit. I almost beat him after 30 minutes with my lower tier weapon and eventually am triple carted because I cant dodge every one of his dives. still, getting disconnected in the middle of a fantastic hunt that you are going to win and then getting locked out of any more flares is so STUPID! I’m actually surprised this is the best they could do after working on the pc port for 8 months. Honestly, it probably deserves all the shitty reviews for being released with such poor networking… why does everyone keep randomly getting disconnected! It’s such a good game but its overshadowed by these issues!! the actual fight itself was fun!

edit: i should be clear that I actually really like nergigante. pretty fun fight. A bit of a terror to try to fight alone, but, I actually think he’s a great monster. He’s got a great flow when fighting him. still, getting randomly DC’d and getting stuck with the higher HP version sux!

edit2: I recently downloaded this “special k” mod for world, and it actually helped me quite a bit.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/3/1745594817439431537/?ctp=31

it includes a cpu limiter of some kind, because the game is somewhat unoptimized… more details are in the thread. But it’s also got lots of useful info and has some custom settings to fix blurry graphics and the like. It lets me put the game into a lower resolution and keep it surrounded by black boxes, instead of stretching to fit my monitor, so I can play at 60 fps and still have good looking picture, albeit in a smaller box. It’s also got the ability to customize more settings and fix input errors etc. nifty mod!

This game is frustrating, yet at the same time oh so satisfying.

Killed the Todi Kadachi today. That is a difficult monster solo with a hunting horn. He moves too quick to line up good shots at him, and his lightning / stun mechanic sucks (i’m sure it gets better with elemental resistance gear but being my first time encountering him…). That being said 2 faints later I finally started to get a rhythm down and downed him. Though I did partway have some help by both a great jagras and an Anajnath but eh, still felt good.

I keep trying other weapons (long sword and bow specifically) but I don’t know what it is about the HH that keeps me coming back. Might be the satisfying baseball bat to the face.

I have no clue, this is my first MH game. That said, the timer variance greatly depends on the proficiency of the player.

Definitely. I started using the Greatsword yesterday and when the stars align and you execute a True Charge followup to the monster’s face it’s incredible. Also, shoulder charge is kinda OP lol.

The horror!

Sadly my sister has about 2-3 big quests in her on the nights she is ready to play. It’s going to take a long time to get through this. She did say it’s okay for me to get a little ahead of her so I got my palico his second gadget.

Speaking of Doodles, here’s were triggering in our Investigation and mine was not. On the optional quest they were triggering for me and not for her. Is there something… unusual about the tribes in MP? I did the first fight solo so I got most of my stuff that way but i don’t remember an doodle issue on PS4.

This game seems…hard, at least solo. And I say that as someone who finished Souls games multiple times, on NG+(++…). Fights are long, enemies later on have very wide cleaving attacks, they move fast and will rush you down, given half a chance. It’s frustrating to fight when a single hit wipes 60-80% of your health - IF you had eaten before, otherwise it can lead to oneshot. Defense seems to mitigate this but I don’t have access to armor of that kind yet, so I’m stick in the ~200 range for now, which more or less forced me to try the Light Bowgun again, because I get nicked in melee way too often. Hopefully things will open up a bit once I beat Nergigante and get access to some other armors.

On the other hand, skill ceiling seems quite high so it’s very fun to watch clips of people who know the game inside out.

If Nergigante is the problem, I assume the problem is either the diving attack? It’s easy to avoid with a superman dive (other ways of trying to dodge are hard due to the spikes).

Also, remember that there are consumables for increasing attack and defense.