Monster Hunter World!!!!!

I agree, his videos have been a terrific resource for me.

Hah, very first video - is him leaving the scene for a bit. That’s too bad. But you are all wrong about SnS, because I saw this video first:

That said, I agree with the warnings about SnS/dual trending toward button mashy (which is likely why I was drawn to them). Will heed the advice here and explore some of the others in hopes of not being a completely terribad player.

My next newbie adventure was with the hammer. I expected super slow and clunky. Instead, I was treated with very simple combos, no need to watch demon/power-up bars, and it recovered after a swing much more quickly than I expected (the big overhead/powered-up hits not-withstanding).

I also learned about the “Type 2” camera controls in the settings. Huge difference for me, as it now feels much more like… Assassin’s Creed II controls. So it may not be the weapon alone that helped, but the combination as now my character swings much more towards where I expect.

Hammer is amazing. Probably the most ‘no nonsense’ weapon in the game, practically gimmick free. Did you discover the charge mechanic yet?

I… have not, apparently. Time to go research more about it! My son did warn me that later on, it starts to drop off in the awesomeness -he said it isn’t great at the whole elemental thing. I’m way way too early to care about such things, though.

It’s actually quite simple. If you get hit a lot you can ignore the mechanic for the time being, since you lose a charge if you take a hit. I recommend either Gaijin Hunter or Arekkz for MHW weapon tutorials. Arekkz is a little more concise, but his youtube style diction drives me up the wall so I’d recommend GH instead.

My nine year old nephew loves the hammer. It’s his weapon of choice. He tells me all about it when I see him.

They announced that 21:9 support is coming in Jan-Feb.

That (along with the new computer I’m planning) will definitely get me into this.

Announcement today! Lots of new content coming our way, including a Witcher collaboration and an entire expansion next year!

Any word on what weapon moveset the Geralt character will use? If it’s longsword then I’m saving that for later.

He’s using his swords and fighting style, to my understanding.

Do you actually play as Geralt or is he an NPC? I may have missed that.

I’m way for excited for the Iceborne expansion anyway. :)

GOG has this for a historic low $31 - should I pick this up?

I think the game is fantastic. I was thinking about buying it again on a console with the current Xmas sale.

I found all the front-loaded cutscenes to be really annoying (caveat that I have no interest in the story in most games, so take that for what you will) but they die down over time and you get more play time vs watch time.

The game excels in that each monster is distinct and unique to fight. Each weapon is distinct in how it plays. To me the gameplay was like a more varied and more open Dark Souls with a similarly high skill cap minus the gamepad-throwing frustrations.

Sold. Thanks!

Wait, GOG? Where? Don’t you mean Steam?

Sorry, not GOG, GMG ( Green Man Gaming ).

Aaaah. Please don’t do that again. The mere thought of a DRM-free Monster Hunter game on PC makes my heart skip a beat. ;)

I made it over the initial hump with this game and I’m enjoying it now! I’m a few quests into the second zone. The long sword seems fine. I’ve hit a few foresight slashes with it.

Nothing is blowing me away but I wanted to get into it enough that I didn’t forget about it when I started playing other games I suspect I’ll enjoy more.

Still playing this and loving it. I always liked the idea of Dark Souls, but it was waaaay too crushing for my abilities. MHW is still ‘hard’ for me, but doable (mostly because my son drags me along). I’m normally an MMO/factorio/basebuilding-genre type person, so this is really out of my league.

I play mostly SnS, but am itching to learn more weapons. SnS is great, but the variety of builds is overwhelming (and grindy!), and the super-close combat makes it a little hard to learn monster tells/moves. It is also very fast and fluid, which means I’ve hosed myself if I switch to a slower weapon.