Monster Hunter World!!!!!

I’ve not played the beta because I stuck in indecision limbo about whether to keep my slim for 200 or go pro before I open it and go. I thought they were trying to cater more to so called Western crowd with this one, so I was expecting some changes, but I knew what it was before.

The main difference between this and Dauntless though is when you’re in the world, or mission as you call it, there’s life, like it’s an eco system. You can find the monsters dining on the dino’s, sleeping and stuff. If there are two they can fight each other. It’s not just a warp to a main baddie bam and done.

Yeah, the combat can be clunky at first blush until you learn what moves to link and how. It’s combo based and if you don’t sequence moves right you end up in just chunky moves that end abruptly. Also learn to roll out of combo finishers since it’s faster. The training area does a good job of teaching this actually.

The game is basically instanced coop boss fights against ever escalating challenges. there is a TON of crafting, more than I can count. However MH is a journey of player skill, much in the same way Dark Souls is. Gear is your entry ticket, but skill is what matters.

Open world isn’t really the MH thing, though it’s more open in world than it used to be as boards would load across an area as you transitioned between sub zones. If you are looking for an open world exploration game MH isn’t it. If you are wanting a coop boss hunt, MH is your thing.

I loved the Demo and to me it seems very “Monster Hunter”, though they have really smoothed out a lot of the rough edges and sped up the time to find the Dino’s. I like the changes a lot. the’ve also deepened the combo system a fair bit, at least on Greatsword.

I played through all three single player missions and while they are kinda easy, it was fun to get a feel for it. I also really like the training area to practice the combos.

I’m super excited for this! The game looks and plays great!

I tried this and I accept what comes from the territory (complicated controls, animations that can’t be break until complete, lots of details / complexity ). Is fun for what it is.

Not a fan of timed missions (but not a problem here),… if thats really it, would be weird to fish on a mission with a timer.

Yeah, clunky isn’t really an accurate description of combat in MH, but it is definitely a bit finicky and certainly not for everyone. I love it, but I enjoy Dark Souls and Street Fighter, so who knows what’s wrong with me.

There are typically “gathering” missions you can select to run out and forage. Also in reality an efficient team is generally running hunts in 7-10 minutes max (less even for a really good team) so there is a little time to forage on a hunt as well. 20 minutes kinda becomes a meaningless timer, and to be honest it’s so non-important I do kinda wonder why it’s even in there at this point.

My kids, who played the 3DS games like mad, are loving the beta. It’s got all they expected and more. There is a cadence to the combat in these games and you have to play them a bit to step in time with the beat.

Just checked it out as a relative newbie. If you just want to get in their and hack and slash the sword/shield combo is very forgiving weapon to start with.

I just asked Cal and he says there is monster progression in the beta. You’ll see new moves in subsequent fights.

Just wait until you lead our Qt3 group, where we proudly post average run times of 19.8 minutes. The hunt is on!

Looking forward to it. :)

A hot mess is always good fun in MH. :)

Yeah, Sword and Shield is a great starter, though it is ultimately limiting. I generally suggest Longsword for new players. It’s a pretty simple weapon to use with great range. It does benefit form sheathing to move, though it’s less restrictive in movement than say, a Greatsword or Hammer (or some of the other hard hitting weapons). Movement penalty while having weapons out is definitely one of the things it takes time to get used to working around.

The other nice thing about Longsword is that you get good DPS and slicing ability, and is completely viable as a weapon and not just for “beginners”.

Yeah, thats more or less what I thought.

I’m not a fan of Japanese games normally, Dark souls, or games with combos , which to me is decidedly a Japanese JRPG thing.

At least the demo has let me know that there is ONE of the big AAA games I don’t need to purchase next year! ;-)

Trying out the Beta now! I love the looks of it at least. Did the first mission and got a bit confused with choosing a weapon, and didn’t really get a hang of the combat style, so I’ll have to take a closer look at that.
But I’m definitely intrigued!

Tried the hunting horn this morning. There’s some new nuances to it from Generations (and it doesn’t look like you get a double bonus this time for your notes hitting) but still seems fun to play. Couldn’t beat the intermediate quest in time though, but I think the 20 minute timer is obscenely short and definitely not what previous monster hunters have had.

Since both Insect Gaive and Hunting Horn both seem good World I"m happy :D

Yeah, I think the 20 minute timer is probably a mistake for World. It does add a bit of pressure for vets but it’s still a non-issue (I did all three SP missions in about 11 min each). The reduced timer really just punishes new players and given how opaque MH can be at the start I think a more generous time limit makes more sense.

Hopefully the shorter time limit is just a Beta thing.

20 minute timers is normal for Monster Hunter demos. They drop it down I assume because the demos tend to give you better gear than you’d have at that point in the actual game. It really doesn’t help attract new players though, doesn’t seem a good decisoin.

20 minute times would be a reason for me not to get this game. I understand the timing pressure but I also like to… browse, just enjoy the scenery and some resource gathering. The vets of the series can do it in 20 minutes if they want to… in a 50 minute timer.

There are a lot more PS+ subscribers in this thread than I expected!

For what it’s worth, in the full game you’ll be able to explore the maps without taking a quest. So you’ll be able to explore and gather resources without any time limit that way.

I remember the resource quests. It’s not the same. There was time, depending on the monster, to just enjoy the environment without feeling like I am racing to find him or her. It’s just… 20 minutes sucks.

I agree, and honestly I don’t think there’s much reason for the series to even still have time limits. Just making sure people are aware that the full game wont be as restricted as the demo is.