Monster Slayers - a Deck Building Roguelike

confirmed. Unfortunately I can’t figure out a way to use Snipping Tool with the game, but it actually just filled my inventory with copies of my last-used set of equipment - I have three sets of it now.

I think mage might be the most RNG-dependent class in the game. You really have to have the right equipment and come across the right payload/draw balance to consistently make long runs.

One thing I didn’t understand: I had gotten that amazing piece of gear with the Mage in v1.02, that allowed me to draw card for using Mana charge (cheat-mode!), but upon dying, I lost it.

You shouldn’t lose gear when you die, but the way the game works, on death your character drops what they are wearing then it is picked back up. If you exit out too fast, it might not have been picked up. It only takes a couple seconds I think.

Ah dang: I am clicking so compulsively, I have been known to choose the gold reward as a mistake on level ups!

Iirc, the items will pop up at the top of the screen, so keep an eye out.

This is the wackest shit ever.

I can’t tell if I like this game or not.

It’s come up a few times, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he tried to find another way, but there’s no need to be disrespectful. It’s a fantastic game made by one guy.

For what it’s worth, effects do stack. I’m gaining 3 block per card played from a combination of three items that each give me +1 block.

However, there seems to be some sort of undocumented (?) limitation on card draws, I have equipped two items that give me a card draw when I play a mana charge. Which works as expected. I play a mana charge and draw two cards. But for any additional mana charges I play, I only draw one card. Foul! Probably a balancing thing, as these decks are a bit small for that kind of ongoing chain, as we saw with the rogue’s chain cards.

-Tom

There is some wanky stuff going on with cards drawing. There is this one mana spell that let you redraw your current hand size+1 cards if you play it as your first card, but initial draws bonii and others don’t seem to affect it, while others may be (I think of the extra draws you got from an action of your opponent, for instance, but I might be wrong).

I think this is very true. I beat the Harbinger after only a few tries with the rogue but with the mage it took me many tries and I finally just beat him last night. I got lucky and got 2 mana reversal cards and two regen cards. I also took the alter blessing that gives you a level-up of every card in your deck at the cost of no more mana regen.

Speaking of the alters, I think they’re pretty underwhelming currently. The blessing above is the only one I will ever even consider. I think all the other blessings are pretty much terrible deals. Is it just me?

Also, does anyone else avoid Rhino champions like the plague? They have killed me so many times on good runs. Now I just avoid them if I can. They’re tougher than the bosses in my opinion.

This game is a very good match for the type of games I like to play. I guess that explains why I’ve been playing it compulsively. It’s very fun. I do wish I could play with sound turned on though. I hope that sound volume feature is coming in an update pretty soon.

I’ll take basically any altar with the ‘level up every card’ blessing.

The menu music also really reminds me of Silent Hunter IV, for some reason.

@nerdook: ran into this just now. Couldn’t upload the snap on Steam, as the application had crashed.

Interesting. I was thinking that the altars were generally too good a deal because there was no reason to pass almost any of them up.

Okay, will try and isolate that bug, Any idea which card triggered it? Clairvoyance?

Also, the update for 1.0.6 is still being prepped. Discrete volume control is in! Some big updates will include Merchants now offer Delete/Upgrade options for gold, with an escalating cost like the Monastery in DreamQuest. I’ve also split a lot more cards into multi-level versions, including God Speed.

I was caught in the groove and can’t remember! If that helps, I had a lightning spell and a frozen spell that were coming from gears (and my hand was filling up with frozen cards, as is obvious on the capture ;)

Really looking forward to this as, thus far, runs during which I ran into the Holy Upgrade Alter have been clearly overpowered, while the others felt underpowered.

That’s why I was asking. It’s hard to tell what the blessings mean. What does adding 1 weakness to all enemies really mean, for example? There’s nothing there to explain context or what “weakness” is. It just seems that what you have to give up is a lot unless what you get is really good and in most cases it’s hard for me to judge so I just pass on it.

Thank you!

Ooh, a way to spend gold on upgrades! I like that! I had a paladin end up with something like 400 gold and nothing worth buying. Sad!

Tooltips! In the battle screen, everything is pretty clearly explained. Weakness is a value that simultaneously decreases damage dealt and increases damage received.

-Tom

Oh, I’m rebalancing the Companion abilities too, to reduce the power level between Mage and Paladin, for example. Full HP restoration is sooooo much better than a one turn weakness to elements… sometimes I want to go back in time to my pre-release self, give him a good shake and say “WHAT THE FISH WERE YOU THINKING BRO”

Also, the new altar ability: “up to five random upgradeable cards in your deck gain a level”

Thanks Tom. Do you know how much though? Does adding 1 to enemy weakness mean that you do a flat 1 extra damage and take 1 less damage? If so, it still doesn’t sound like such a good deal if (for example) you lose AP to get it.

Thanks for doing that. I haven’t bothered to level my mage companion for just that reason.