Monster Slayers - a Deck Building Roguelike

Yeah, the items make a huge difference! I feel it’s a huge part of making multiple runs seem worthwhile - you’re collecting gear and unlocking abilities, both of which make the subsequent runs easier. Looking forward to see how the other decks play out!

Where is the leaderboard?

In my first game (as a rogue) I bot through the tutorial and killed the gold dragon. I dies about 2/3rd of the way through the next level. Pretty fun so far!

Leaderboard only shows up occasionally. I’m not sure when, or how it is determined. I have seem to seen it pretty regularly when you load the game during the middle of a run.

Hmm, OK thanks.

It’s such a situation specific card, but since it replaces itself, no point NOT having it. I wonder if it protects you from the sirens stealing your cards?

-Tom

It’s not THAT specific, though, once you unlock the card called “card sieve” (mentioned above by @Left_Empty).

Patch Notes:

v1.0.3

• You can now continue a saved level even if the boss has been defeated
  • Whenever an enemy plays a card for the very first time, the game stops and plays a brief notification to give you enough time to read the card. This will be a precursor to a proper encyclopedia system later!
  • Upgrading should show the proper AP/Mana cost, and cancelling it will only show the same options as previously offered
  • Dwarven items (+2AP) now work as intended!
  • You can now respec your upgrade tree, but only ONCE per saved slot! Just click on the Reset All button and confirm your decision. It can’t be undone!

This thread has persuaded me to buy the game. The very first thing I noticed is that the game has no volume controls and the default volume is quite loud. Highly annoying. I just don’t understand games that ship without such a basic quality of life feature. Fortunately, the developer says it’s on the top of his priority list for the next update.

Man, I got the harbinger down to 85 HP and he killed me with the last card of his turn - so close.

I’m #881 with a score of 3140.

Thanks for bringing this game to my attention! I’ve already played 5 hours of it, just with the rogue. Lot’s of fun and easily a worthwhile purchase. For some reason after my first game I thought I retained my upgraded cards, but it looks like I was mistaken. You keep your inventory but your cards go back to the class default I take it.

Correct. I nabbed a gold axe on the way to the harbinger and hope to take it for a spin shortly. Too bad I didn’t have the boss drop upgrade yet when I whacked him.

What’s the longevity like on this? Are there randomly generated dungeon runs, or are they the same over and over, but different with each class?

Randomly generated each time, though with some of the same rooms (like Treasure, Healer, a boss, etc.) It’s really just a different take on Dream Quest but quite addictive. A lot of the cards are very similar.

Each level consists of a grid of encounter nodes and it randomly generates the type of encounter in each node, and I think it may also randomize the layout. It also randomizes which levels you can choose between at each stage, I think which companions are available, what loot you get, what merchants are selling, etc. Makes each run quite different even with the same class. So far, for example, I had one rogue run that hit an altar that upgraded every upgradable card in my entire deck at once at the frankly minor cost of a couple of useless cards in the deck (which I proceeded to delete with delete rewards) and was intermittently flamestriking people with a card from my equipment, while rocking a once-every-few-battles heal from my druid buddy Mooselord. My next rogue run got a level V attack card straight off the bat so I won some early encounters just by getting that in my opening hand and one-shotting them with 25+ damage. He also exchanged healing on every card play (which is tremendous for rogues, who play a LOT of cards) for the two useless Penance cards (except less useless now because they’re still a card and thus 1 HP). And my third rogue also got healing on every card but at the cost of slower companion recharge (and I wasn’t using them that much anyway). And he managed to get an Exploding Palm card that did 30 straight, unblocked damage once a fight, a fully upgraded Backstab and Execution and had 100+ damage turns on the regular. Sadly, he just wasn’t able to take enough damage to survive long enough to level against the third ltier opponents. :(

Game length is fairly short, but with very high replayability. Closest model I can think of is Solitairica, but this is faster (some of my Solitairica matches are pretty time consuming because I play relatively slowly). This plays very quickly once you have a handle on what you are doing.

I really like this model. I’ve had an idea kicking around in my head for quite some time (that will probably never be made) and was kicking around a similar approach.

This approach reminds me of Strange Adventures in Infinite Space. that game was a little too short, which resulted in your score riding tremendously on whether you found a trader early and what they had to offer.

The Long Journey Home is also taking that sort of approach but they are shooting for a length of roughly 6 hours. I wonder if that will end up being a hair too long for people to want to play it again and again.

I’m loving this game. I don’t really like the this or that permanent choices though. I also worry about class balance a bit. Lastly regeneration and trolls in particular can die in a fire, super imbalanced imo. Every time the card comes up they get an additional 5 hp per turn and it all stacks and is permanent. combined with their already high hp and tanky blocks it gets crazy. Had a troll getting back near 100hp per turn before I finally succumbed.

With the newest patch you can respec those choices. Think it is currently one time, but the dev is considering options.

I’ve never had a problem with trolls. Could see it being a pain with Clerics or Knights, maybe.

Happy that others are enjoying this too. The developer is making bug fixes quickly, and is talking about adding more content (new classes, possibly a fourth dungeon, something for those that want more challenge). They have been very receptive to feedback, which is always nice.

I picked a Knight to start out just because. Finished the tutorial and then picked the Tomb of the Ancients as my first dungeon. I fully expected to die in there but breezed through it pretty easily with the starter deck and a few cards picked up as loot along the way. The final boss was a demon eye thingy which didn’t pose much of a problem.

The gameplay is a lot of fun so far. I just worry about it maybe being too easy. I hope it gets harder in the next dungeon.

It does. Considerably.

After losing 5 heroes I beat the harbinger as a rougue. I had 2 Godspeed cards, along with a ton of daggers and chockrans (sp?). I had saved my companion abilities, so I was able to draw an extra card, take an extra turn, ignore his first 2 cards, and dodge at 90% - all 1x per the battle. I was barely touched when I beat him.

His special ability was inserting a useless card into my deck each turn. I was prepared for the ability that makes me lose HP each time I played a card, but apparently the harbinger’s special ability gets randomized too. That was a ton of fun!

Yeah, the altars in each dungeon will tip you off to what to expect when you get to the harbinger.

The object of the game is to kill this guy?