Monster Slayers - a Deck Building Roguelike

No, you spend two and get two back. It isn’t a net gain. They are seeing a net gain (they have more AP after playing a dagger). As mentioned above, this is probably from an item. Personally, I think daggers are too good when combined with backstab.

Rogues are great if you love to cycle cards, but I like some of the other classes better.

I encountered a bug where my AP went into negative and it became an overflow bug, the value became 65535 andit became so that I started battles at 30 AP.

This sounds like a nice game to jump into. I may have to pick this up while it’s on sale.

This game must be selling pretty well, because I keep playing it, but fall ever lower in the rankings.

4518 Fame, after beating the Harbinger for the first time with a Ranger

It was a tense final fight. Harbinger started off with twice my HP, but I had a Paladin to restore mine, so he just barely had the advantage. At the end, we were both so buffed, that we weren’t doing too much damage to each other, but I think I only had around 30HP left when I finally finished him. With all the dodges we were doing and the high level attacks we were throwing at each other, either one of us could have been knocked out in of the last 3 or 4 rounds.

It better be selling well!

You are ahead of me, although there aren’t a simple way to access the leaderboard, I do not appreciate that!

LOL, well…there is ONE way to keep your gear after defeating the Harbinger. I just killed it for the first time. He was done in by thorns damage from a chest piece I was wearing (damage to the enemy for damage blocked). Unfortunately, I also died on the blow. I was shown both the victory and defeat messages. I got loot, and I got my gear back. Didn’t get the medal, though, so I guess I’ll have to try again!

If I didn’t have both reduced AP and reduced hand size, I think I’d have won relatively easily.

Thanks, I just picked it up and that makes a huge difference. Each game I make it a bit farther…

Just picked it up too and am about to dive in.

If you find the pally NPC down in the dungeon, they offer you a shield card called indomitable, which is fantastic. If any card effect (from you or the enemy) causes it to be discarded, you recover 35hp and draw two cards.

Yeah, the items make a huge difference! I feel it’s a huge part of making multiple runs seem worthwhile - you’re collecting gear and unlocking abilities, both of which make the subsequent runs easier. Looking forward to see how the other decks play out!

Where is the leaderboard?

In my first game (as a rogue) I bot through the tutorial and killed the gold dragon. I dies about 2/3rd of the way through the next level. Pretty fun so far!

Leaderboard only shows up occasionally. I’m not sure when, or how it is determined. I have seem to seen it pretty regularly when you load the game during the middle of a run.

Hmm, OK thanks.

It’s such a situation specific card, but since it replaces itself, no point NOT having it. I wonder if it protects you from the sirens stealing your cards?

-Tom

It’s not THAT specific, though, once you unlock the card called “card sieve” (mentioned above by @Left_Empty).

Patch Notes:

v1.0.3

• You can now continue a saved level even if the boss has been defeated
  • Whenever an enemy plays a card for the very first time, the game stops and plays a brief notification to give you enough time to read the card. This will be a precursor to a proper encyclopedia system later!
  • Upgrading should show the proper AP/Mana cost, and cancelling it will only show the same options as previously offered
  • Dwarven items (+2AP) now work as intended!
  • You can now respec your upgrade tree, but only ONCE per saved slot! Just click on the Reset All button and confirm your decision. It can’t be undone!

This thread has persuaded me to buy the game. The very first thing I noticed is that the game has no volume controls and the default volume is quite loud. Highly annoying. I just don’t understand games that ship without such a basic quality of life feature. Fortunately, the developer says it’s on the top of his priority list for the next update.

Man, I got the harbinger down to 85 HP and he killed me with the last card of his turn - so close.

I’m #881 with a score of 3140.

Thanks for bringing this game to my attention! I’ve already played 5 hours of it, just with the rogue. Lot’s of fun and easily a worthwhile purchase. For some reason after my first game I thought I retained my upgraded cards, but it looks like I was mistaken. You keep your inventory but your cards go back to the class default I take it.

Correct. I nabbed a gold axe on the way to the harbinger and hope to take it for a spin shortly. Too bad I didn’t have the boss drop upgrade yet when I whacked him.

What’s the longevity like on this? Are there randomly generated dungeon runs, or are they the same over and over, but different with each class?

Randomly generated each time, though with some of the same rooms (like Treasure, Healer, a boss, etc.) It’s really just a different take on Dream Quest but quite addictive. A lot of the cards are very similar.