Monster Slayers - a Deck Building Roguelike

Yeah, my first fight ever in dungeon three was a dragon. I managed to kill it, but had low health and I was screwed after that.

So a simple questions for items:

If an item says “Level 5: +5 damage” does that mean the bonus unlocks when your character reaches level 5? Or is that the level of the weapon or something?

Thanks!

I think it’s just the level of the weapon itself.

I did run into some physically resistant monsters but my death engine was firing on all cylinders at that point. Had anyone seen a critter that actually hurts you when you hit it though? Surprised that wasn’t implemented, if true.

This might not be exactly what you meant but I have come across some mobs that can stack really bad poison, which will hurt you whenever you play a card.

There’s a global unlock that gives them a bonus when using bows. But until then, nope.

I just saw that - and unlocked it, but damn all the bows I’ve seen are crap.

Don’t think so, but you can do it as a player, so I am sure we will at some point.

@Tim_N (below): very cool. I really like how this is a pretty light game but that there are a variety of strategies that can work if you get your deck set.

Just beat the last boss as a cleric. The cleric is a monster class, although I haven’t yet played the rogue (since I heard here it was too easy) so I can’t compare.

The way I did it was grabbing repent cards, equipping an item that gives you a card draw when using mana charge, and with all of that mana flowing in every turn buying the best spell cards and deleting as many attacks as I can.

Repent cards are so good if you can get them upgraded and have a deck that will benefit from the mana. That and a few other cleric cards make it so that the longer the fight goes on the stronger you get, and with great defense you are ending every fight with 100% hp even if it takes a couple more turns to fell an opponent as some of the other classes would.

I don’t know if I’ve just had bad luck with cards, but I haven’t found the ranger to be nearly as interesting as the rogue.

This seems to be pretty much the default way to play a wizard or cleric. Seems the items even stack. So get a bunch of effects to piggyback on mana charge cards, then set up tricks to cycle your deck to a mana charge, and Bob’s your uncle. My best run so far was with a svelte 15-20 card deck with a pair of extra mana charge cards I’d found.

-Tom

Are you sure they stack? In that cleric run I had two items that gave extra cards per mana charge and I am pretty sure I only ever got one.

You got gypped!

Actually, I’m not sure, but I will cry foul if they don’t. Different effects stack, though. There’s apparently no way to check your inventory on a game in progress – that can’t be right, can it? – but I was drawing cards and accumulating block on every mana charge card, so I assumed I could draw multiple cards. Maybe that would be oh pee.

-Tom

EDIT: oh, right, there’s my inventory visible during a battle

EDIT EDIT: Damage bonuses stack. I’ve got two +1 fire damage items, and they’re both conferring their bonus.

That’s interesting, because I was getting frustrated with cleric. I didn’t have items that gave me cards from mana charge, but I was trying to load up on spells and repents. It just never seemed to work for me. Can never get everything upgraded enough to make it through the final dungeon. Either wouldn’t have the mana for spells, or my repents were all low level. Will have to try again.

Interestingly, cleric has the lowest achievement rate. Follow by wizard.

I had a blast with this today, but it’s just too easy.

The rogue can eventually cycle through the entire contents of a large deck no problems, leading to enemies getting 0 or 1 turns to actually deal damage to me (pitiful as it is most of the time) before they keel over.

The wizard, though, is even more broken. Assuming you can get a couple of necessary cards and an item that draws a card when you play mana surge, you can also go through a large deck of spells in one turn with no problem, dealing out loads of damage, buffing yourself +40% dodge and +40 block each turn, and so on. The best late-game combo is mana reversal which adds to your mana when playing spells instead of taking from it, and then at the end of the turn playing a card that deals X*2 damage where X is your total mana. I basically two-hitted the last boss with 350 and then 150 damage hits.

It’s kind of beginning to sound like there may be a single strategy to beat the game. That is, no matter what class you’re playing, put together a burn deck that can keep cycling and not give the enemy but a turn or two before they’re defeated. In other words, offense only and a particular kind of offense at that. If you can’t also win by building defense decks or hybrid decks of some kind then I think I’d consider the design flawed.

I’m not saying this is the case, just that it’s starting to sound like that to me and I’m a bit concerned. It would be too bad because it’s a lot of fun to play. I just got my second rogue to the final dungeon last night. And yes, it was by building a Backstab III, Dagger and Chain Strike deck with Execute, Fire Bomb and some other draw cards mixed in. A lot of times I’ve won before the opponent could take a turn.

I wouldn’t call the design flawed: the game goes for having the Dream Quest class powers being pickable by any classes, and since those aren’t active powers but more of the passive kind, all the classes indeed seem to converge toward the same kind of strategies, with a little twist each time.
It tries to be a bit more casual, twitchy (combo clicking your cards, pushing your opponent back, is so rewarding!), and less puzzly than Dream Quest, which is all fine by me - if I want to torture my neurons, I’ve got Braingoodgames and Michael Brough overseeing that just fine.

I beat (and was also killed by, still laughing about that) the Harbinger with a thorns setup (damage to enemy when blocking). I didn’t have my cooldowns for that fight (bad on me) and the combination of reduced AP and card size hurt. If even one of those things had not been the case the fight wouldn’t have been close, so you can win with a hybrid setup.

Yes it’s generally advantageous to cycle your deck, but that’s generally true in deckbuilders.

From the developer:

Don’t worry guys, the future update will have a few surprises that will make your Rogue say “oh god why”

Finally got my Ranger to the Harbinger - then died. I had a nice combination of getting free cards when I dodged / cancelled the enemies attacks and getting a free action point each time I was hit. I could have used some more action points though.

FWIW I beat the game on a cleric using a defensive deck using redemption and some other cleric spells that buff my defense and health. It was more fun to play too. It had some card draws, but to some extent they are essential for every deck as it was in dream quest.