Monster Slayers - a Deck Building Roguelike

Great game, but I am a little frustrated by the latest build. I was spamming the Rogue, but the Harbinger has a ton of Enough cards (I don’t think that really surprises anyone here). He also has a ton of Invincible, or at least Physical immunity states. I think I had about 10 rounds where I was either interrupted or impotent. I kept waiting for my opportunity, and I had one chance, but couldn’t get the cards going that particular time (after being interrupted the previous round). I guess Rogues will just need to weather the storm, awaiting the perfect chance to strike.

Could have just been a bad run of luck, but pretty frustrating. I’m sure you’ll see how the balance is very quickly, because as I stated earlier about this game - the more fame I gain, the lower my ranking. I think I was in the 1000s today, despite being at ~5800. I think I went from the 400s on my first day, 600s, the second, and I was just in the 800s yesterday.

Congratulations!

I’d be happy with about fifty new classes, no biggie! Fun game and fills the dark DQ void for the fans.

The Harbinger’s deck will only ever have two Enough! cards. If it feels like a ton, then he just got really lucky.

Fair enough. I will chalk it up as a run of bad luck. I guess it would also help to focus more on elemental or Pure damage. I did have a number of great fights in the last Dungeon against the newly buffed Dragons and I loved the anticipation of Enough! cards against some other opponents. Just have to play smarter, I guess, or just hope for more dumb luck next time.

The journey was still enjoyable, and it is a pretty quick turnaround to get back in there and take another shot.

Two minor bug reports (is there somewhere better to submit them?):

Bag of Gold works when your opponent plays it, e.g. Siren or Mercenary

Didn’t notice if it got fixed in the most recent build but Card Sieve says “Deal 2 cards” instead of “Draw 2 cards”.

And a couple requests:

As I said earlier, it would be nice if there was some challenge around not using the super-high-level stuff you found in previous runs; starting at level 1 with 150 HP seems a bit much.

I wonder if it’d be better if the inventory/equip screen was automatically triggered when you chose a dungeon; every once in a while I forget to do it and it’s annoying.

I’m guessing the upcoming hardcore mode, however that works, will probably address this?

-Tom

Do you happen to recall if the first altar said the harbinger doesn’t fear the blade? Never fought him with that one so I’m not sure what it does.

The Harbinger gains Physical Resistance.

Ok, I didn’t know in that particular case (since physical is more common than anything else) if it might have a different mechanic.

oh right, that makes sense. I saw “hardcore” and just thought it was permadeath, but that doesn’t entirely make sense here.

Yea, I’m testing it now. Hardcore mode does a few things:

1. Equipment permanently lost on death.
  2. Enemy cards have less Attack I cards at high level
  3. There is a true boss after the Harbinger
  4. Equipped armor and accessories add zero HP

Sounds cool (and challenging!). Any chance of letting you equip gear in the dungeon? If not anytime, then perhaps at campfires?

I know it’s a common request, but the technical issues around midlevel equipment change seem insurmountable to me within a reasonable time frame. The stats are “built” at start, so a change of equipment means going back and “unbuilding” the stat for that one equipment, then “rebuilding” the stats for the new replacement. It’s possible, obviously, but with my limited development bandwidth it simply isn’t worth the huge effort required. Sorry!

I’m glad to have to commit to equipment. Anything that reduces min/max optimization is a plus in my book. I start with a character build based on four pieces of equipment and anything I do from then on out is all deckbuilding, baby!

-Tom

Nothing to apologize for and I appreciate the explanation. I thought it might pair well with the hardcore mode is all.

Why is there a choice to skip a treasure chest? It’d still be one click if that interaction was gone and you just clicked “No Thanks”.

oh, one more question: is there a difference between “dodge chance” and “chance to cancel Attack cards”? I see that they get combined into the dodge % number in the upper left.

one more bug: there’s some opponent, I think Undead Ranger, that has a habit of playing Mighty Hit and then being stuck with cards that cost AP in their hand. A couple times I’ve seen it play Mighty Hit and then a card with the picture of Precise Shot but no text or effect, not even a name.

The latest build with Legendary Mode is live!

Is it intentional that when you fight an enemy who goes first, your bonuses from your items don’t apply during their first round? And your equipment icons aren’t visible?

Do the bonuses kick in afterwards? That’s probably a bug, it doesn’t set up the icons until it’s your turn. The item bonuses should apply though, those are set during level creation.

It’s too late at night for me to be playing, but I am pretty sure I have an item that grants Armor 3, and I’m getting hit for full damage.