Monster Train or Deckbuilder: the ‘good parts’ version

Whaaaaat??? You can fit more on a floor that way?

To a max of 7 units.

Yup it was like a lightbulb moment, I wonder what happens?.. it’s pretty OP, you have to be aware of sweep attacks though.

Yeah, the one absolute is 7 units. There are other methods of circumventing capacity, like the artifact that starts a fight with 4 random units on a floor. Also morsel maker/master.

How do you master cards?

Thanks guys!

I think you need to beat ascension level 1 (or whatever ascension level is called in this game).

First win, mostly thanks to the artifact that makes every card cost randomly 0-3.
monstertrain://runresult/ef26872f-0d4b-4d82-8c49-56087301104d

Congrats! I’ve stalled out on ascension 1 losing several in a row.

That’ll probably be me next.

Is it a better idea to try to play a few games at base level before moving up?

Like StS, Ascension 1 is actually a bit easier than Ascension 0 so I wouldn’t recommend sticking around at 0.

Thanks!

wat45

PSA: I passed over the Wrathful version of the Hornbreaker Prince for a long time. I have even seen in a popular steam guide that he’s useless because he doesn’t scale well, but it isn’t always true.

If you are able to give him trample or multistrike, the fact that he gains armour after every kill (which he should be doing 1-4 times a round) and extra rage every time he gets damaged means it isn’t difficult to make him an unstoppable beast that can (with the right support) take down all of the bosses single-handedly.

Also, I just learnt that the limit for debuffs is 999, in case anyone has yet to encounter the hard limit.

Hehe, I am also making this kind of glorious progress! It reminds me of the learning “curve” for Eve Online. This thing . . . .

Also, here is the Monster Train version of Slay the Spire Snecko Oil. I am yet to use it . . . I shy away from adding more randomness to my decks. Has anyone majored with it for fun and profit?

Capture

. . . oh @belouski has already, good work sir!

Well, snekko eye was a good choice if you could put together a deck of really expensive cards as the average cost post-randomisation would be less than what you started with. I’ve not played this (but very much got my eye on it thanks to this thread - might even take the plunge today!) but would guess that holds true.

Yeah, I like to run low cost decks, so have a hard time envisioning using that.

Spent several runs today trying to do melting/umbra that ended in miserable failure. Flipped it to trample penumbra and won handily.

I am thinking of taking of high costs cards and using Stygian hero’s -1 or -2 ember reduction ability to become a huge powerhouse. Basically it’ll be centered around high cost cards and the +draw ability instead of increasing ember or room size. Don’t have a chance to try this out yet because I seldom start with the “Sneko” artifact =)

Snecko Eye was the highest win % relic in Slay the Spire. It seems good here as well, though you’ll definitely want to upgrade your energy to mitigate bad RNG.

The Stygian hero’s -1 Card cost reduces average cost per card to 0.5 and -2 reduces it to -1.5! It’s definitely OP. But yes without that hero, ember ugrades are must.