Monster Train or Deckbuilder: the ‘good parts’ version

Umm, where is your gold coming from? Unless you’re only getting the cheapo upgrades, or you’re giving the enemies a buff to get more gold before each fight, I don’t see how this is possible!

This is me as well. Don’t worry, you are closer than you think, just focus your deck a little more or push a combo a bit further.

The optional objectives help. And don’t sleep on the cheap upgrades! I like to buy the spell upgrade that adds consume to basic cards I don’t really want, because it’s cheaper than purging it from the deck. Likewise, the +10 attack is pretty useful for 20 gold. And -1 energy (I love to make cards cheap).

Yeah, my best runs have always involved early upgrading of a good card and being able to duplicate it once or twice through the run.

My favourite ‘something cool’ that I have come across so far is having the option to duplicate a card 5 times. That can lead to some crazy builds provided you have upgraded cards.

Or even basic cards in some cases. In that Sting win I mentioned, I copied 5 basic Sting cards (if I’d been able to upgrade first, that run would have been nuts. Wouldn’t have done that without a sting artifact though.

Yes, gold from Trials.

572 frostbite on Seraph gets the job done, for the record. But purple/green isn’t my favorite combo so far.

6/6 though so shrug, heh.

This is all on Covenant 0, though. It’s not like I expected to come in and get my ass beat.

Finally had some time yesterday to pick it up, and as expected it’s great. The create a challenge looks interesting. Hopefully we can have some custom challenges to do in this thread. I’ll make one as soon as I unlock all the clans. I’m at covenant 3 after about 6-7 runs, and I think I’m gonna try some Imp builds to try and speed up the unit summon requirement for Umbra.

I have a hand full of you on my leader board but the more the merrier, so add me. Mr.GR|M on steam, code# 14810755

Nice work…

I posted a “is this game too easy?” post upthread after beating covenant 0 on my first real run. Of course, now that I have jinxed myself I can’t even get past Covenant 1. Gotten real close a few times though. The game is too addictive!

7/7 after my first Umbra run. Morsels are tasty.

You should really try Covenant 1 at least. The random cards make things interesting.

This is the most absurd monster I’ve ended a run with:

With a quick 56*7 multistrike sweep, there wasn’t much need for a tank. Or even for using all the available floor space.

This summarizes my feelings about the various factions pretty well:

Yes, I’ve never won with a Hellhorned primary outside of the initial tutorial run. The champions are just miserable! The Umbra champions are also really hard to get any value out of (e.g. has anyone figure out a good way of using the variant that gives Trample?), but at least the Umbra are an amazing support faction.

Those free cards with Imbue can get a little nutty.

Won another run with Hellhorned and Awoken again. Got a bit of a Spike deck going (when you’re getting one a turn and they do 25 damage it’s super fun!). I think it took three or four runs for me to process just how important it is to keep your champion alive. I think a couple of the first runs I lost my champ early and that has a tendency to do you in. Now that I know how important he is, I’m having a lot more success with the game.

I had a champion with Slay 20 maybe and multistrike 1. He got pretty lethal fast.

Of course I’m not Covenant 14 like you!

The problem I have with the Slay variant of the champion is that you need to bootstrap it in every fight, and there aren’t a lot of reliable ways of doing it. It’s not durable enough to tank by itself, so the challenge is in making sure that the tank does not steal the kills. Every deck probably has a plan to do it (maybe it’s playing games with ascend, or pushing units around, etc). But the plans tend to have a short timing window before the fight spirals out of control.

Getting unlucky and failing to power it up in just one fight can be half the pyre gone.

The good champions from the other factions tend to not need specific enablers right at the start. It doesn’t matter that much exactly when you draw damage spells with a spell vulnerability Tethys, etc.

I added you. I haven’t played much yet but mine Steam friend code is 4956471 if anyone wants to round out the bottom of their leaderboard!

How did you manage that? Did you take consume off a card?

I’ve been playing this non stop since grabbing it. I have completed it twice, but before moving up the covenant ladder, I want to beat it with each pair of factions so I can fill in that little piece. My Steam name is ElwoodPDowd

Managed to get a win with the inferno spell + holdover and siren song + holdover and energy siphon + holdover.

Basically siren song brings any unit unto the pyre and daze them.
The siphon makes the boss weak to spell
And inferno spell does 100 damage to the entire row.

With those 3 cards, the units basically don’t matter at all.

monstertrain://runresult/5174d73d-70ce-4ee7-b86a-0a471610d3ae

Wait a minute . . . am I playing the same game as you guys?

I am playing the game where you take your Hornbreaker Prince, add Slay and Multistrike then dedicate yourself fully to feeding him kills and making him into an absolute monster hitter. Park something solid in front of him, apply every buff to him you can find. Is there . . . . another way? I have three successful runs with this being my sole trick!

Is that the Trample guy? Yeah, I’ve won with him already on my first try with Umbra. That guy is a natural born killer, especially with repeated castings of the spell that gives multi-strike and life stealing.

EDIT: Oh, no I’m thinking of Penumbra.

But that’s the beauty. There’s lots of different viable approaches, at least early on (if that stops being the case later, I’d probably stay at a modest level), like the example @cicobuff posted.