Moonbreaker - Virtual tabletop minis tactics from Subnautica devs

I don’t really know what to make of this, but I’m a huge fan of Subnautica so I’ll give it a shot. Oh and hey, you can screw up the paint on your virtual minis just like I do with my actual minis.

As someone that likes miniature games but lacks the space and friends to actually store and play them this looks fun. Now, if they add a way to set up my own table too, that would be amazing. Keeping an eye on this one.

They need to add virtual cats to disrupt everything though.

I LOVE subnautica, but… Digital miniatures like taking something from the analogue world, and import it into the digital, without any of the benefits of digital - it seems so weird.

I love the presentation. What a smart way of adding a ton of variety without the overheads of animating such detailed characters.

Last time I checked, miniatures couldn’t grappling hook things, explode and zap stuff :)

Edit: also, painting miniatures without the cost and hassle.

Unless 90% of the game is building and painting minis, it’s not a good representation of the hobby 😂

I don’t mind them being miniatures but I don’t see that it adds any real benefit either. I do like the idea of constructing a squad and small tactical battles that seem to resolve quickly. I wonder if the players control initial placement?

There was that RTS that had Toy Story-type miniature plastic soldiers… Army Men I think. Struck me as mildly amusing but a bit of a gimmick.

It was gimmicky, but it was a decent game. I played it for a bit.

I guess it’s a little different, but war games often use miniatures for units and it works fine. I like the idea of painting them, but I in reality I never will.

Love the look, love the idea of a miniatures tactics game, but… is it possible for something to have too much personality? I guess it depends on how frequently those unit vocals pop up, but if they’re constant and repetitive they’re going to get annoying fast.

Ha! I agree. I got sick of “Urge to kill RISING!” in Guild Wars 2. Hopefully there’s an option to turn off the vocals but leave the rest of the sound on.

I found all the movements of the miniatures to be distracting. I’d rather have more animations of the figures themselves, but that would be much more overhead intensive as you said. Or just tone all the movement down, imo. Maybe that will be an option.

And see, I’m the opposite. I’ve wanted a digital tabletop minis game, but with just static minis (no animations), and the ability to paint for ever. The funny little ‘waggle’ animations are a little over the top, I agree, but I’d rather have those than full-blown animations. This looks neat.

Yeah, the “little kid picking up the action figure and repeatedly knocking it into the other statue” animations aren’t really to my taste either, the whole beauty of a miniatures aesthetic is that you really don’t need that kind of thing IMO.

This releases into Early Access tomorrow!

I kinda wish they’d gone all the way and animated a tow-headed 10 year old picking up the figures and banging them into each other going, “pchoo! pchoo!”

Lol, that would have made a lot of sense