Moonrise Kingdom, the New Wes Anderson

I’m pretty hyped. Doubters and haters can go hang, Wes Anderson <3

By all accounts, this is Wes’s best film since Rushmore/Tenenbaums. 98% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Now I just gotta figure out how to see it A.S.A.P.!

Saw it yesterday in Union Square. Probably the most emotionally engaging film WA has made yet. Also it has a neat fugue-like structure and the usual stylized presentation.

When is this movie going to be generally opening nationwide? Fandango says it opened May 25 but there are no (have not been any) screenings anywhere in and around San Diego.

So excited for this. I haven’t liked anything live-action he’s made since Tenenbaums, but a lot of reviewers who felt the same way are loving Moonrise.

My local cinema says it’s opening here on June 29th.

Just saw it in the one theater playing it in the city. Amazing. It’s Wes Anderson’s best work since Tennenbaums. Remember when his style still felt fresh? Moonrise Kingdom makes it fresh again. The child actors are really endearing, and you care about them so much that the last third of the movie is exciting because you’re so invested. Unlike Life Aquatic and Darjeeling, which I would recommend with caution only to Wes Anderson fans, I think Moonrise stands on its own as just a solid movie to all comers. Surprisingly good work by Ed Norton too, playing against type.

Saw this yesterday. Doesn’t quite match Rushmore/Tennenbaums/Life Aquatic (the script is significantly worse than those three films), but is very good and certainly better than the poor Darjeeling Limited. It seems to follow from Fantastic Mister Fox more than his other films, in that it has an arts and crafts/made by hand aesthetic throughout, which, other than a sublime scene in the middle of the film, is the reason to see the movie.

The only other film of his I’ve seen is Fantastic Mr Fox (for shame! I know & will fix this soon), and I wholly adored it.

My only regret is that I didn’t take a picture of the lovely little lady who saw it with me at the campsite setup they had in the theater.

You people who don’t like Life Aquatic are crazy. You are crazy people.

“Steven, are you rescuing me? I fold.”

I agree. I love Life Aquatic. I’m a bit lukewarm about Darjeeling Limited, though.

Plan on seeing Moonrise tomorrow. I’m really psyched. There’s almost something magical about going to the movies to see an Anderson flick. :)

I know those words, but that post makes no sense.

-xtien

“I’m citing you for gross misconduct.”

“He’s taking us on an illegal suicide mission.”

It’s opening today in Seattle. I’m so there.

Great call on the line there. If it’s any consolation, I plan to remedy this problem within the week.

I expect a full report here or in all pertinent threads, or in your very own Wes Anderson Discovery thread. Either way, enjoy your trip! :)

-xtien

“No. This is a nonviolent rescue operation.”

When we saw Moonrise Kingdom, Dingus and I stumbled across one of those for The Dictator. You could sit in a golden chair and have someone take your picture. I think it might have had a giant Sasha Baron Cohen face behind it. Or maybe just the words “The Dictator”. I forget. My only regret is that I didn’t take a picture of Dingus at it.

-Tom

“What the hell kind of way is that to act?”

I saw this over the weekend, and I thought it was better than Life Aquatic or Darjeeling (both movies I like fine), but not nearly as good as Rushmore or Tenenbaums. The scenes with the kids had some classic Wes Anderson moments. So, before I complain a little, I’d definitely give the movie a thumbs-up.

On the whole, however, it exceeded my quirk-ratio limits. Like, why does the mom talk with a mega-phone in the house? That didn’t seem to have a place in the story other than “isn’t that weird and funny?” I didn’t particularly care about Bill Murray’s character or his wife. I’m over-analyzing maybe, but parts of the movie felt like he (Wes Anderson) was trying too hard to squeeze in odd-ball scenarios.

This afternoon at work, my ipod played “Needle In the Hay”, and I thought about how much I love that scene in Tenebaums. I really like how Rushmore and Tenenbaums revolve around these interesting characters set against a somewhat-normal world. In Moonrise Kingdom, theres not much normal, everything is busting at the seams with quirk.

Good observations, Manta, but that was one of the things I really liked about Moonrise Kingdom. Whereas Rushmore and Tenenbaums had one foot firmly planted in reality, Moonrise Kingdom existed in its own world. The setting was nominally the island of Penzance. But more clearly and cleanly than Rushmore or Tenenbaums, the setting was Wes Anderson’s imagination.

Luke Wilson’s suicide in Tenenbaums is such a dark real-world moment, and like you, I feel that in a very different way than I felt anything in Moonrise Kingdom. It was immediate and painful. That there’s nothing quite like that in the world of Moonrise Kingdom is, to me, part of what makes that movie special.

Or, to put it another way, one man’s quirk is another man’s magic. :)

-Tom

“Was he a good dog?”

“…who can say?”

i’ll raise you one more with this one for best quote:

‘we’re all they have’

‘that’s not enough’