More IP theft: K-Fed steals from Thomas Dolby

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/31366827

I love Dolby, but this just smacks a little too much of “get off my yard you damn whippersnappers.”

Dolby really needs to blast Federline with a hose and get it over with.

So I go to particpate in this latest revolution against the copyright man, but good holy spigot does B-Fed’s MySpace site is horrible. Did the Under Construction War of 1998 teach us nothing?

This is something I’ve wondered about. I’ve heard that companies that sell sample CDs often have EULAs saying you can’t redistribute the samples in clear form; they have to be mixed with another sound, so somebody can’t easily sample the original sound out of your work. It’s a bit weird to be limited artistically in what you’re allowed to do with a hi hat sample, but there it is.

So when Artist A grants permission to Artist B to use a sample from an Artist A work, does that allow Artist B to give permission to Artist C to sample a part of the Artist B work that included Artist A’s sample?

Note that I don’t know whether Mr. Federline acquired any sort of permission.

That’s par for the course at MySpace.

The guy who Britney Spears married is irresponsible and ignorant?

I’m just glad to see Dolby in the news again. The guy’s a goddam genius.

That is actually more of an issue with loops than with multisampled instruments, such as a multisampled drum kit. I think you would need to be pretty blatantly distributing a hit hat sample outside of any kind of musical context before a sample developer would complain about it. On the other hand, loops are much more distinctive, musically much more “complete” and require more effort to construct. It’s far easier to swipe a naked loop than a single hit from a recording and do something useful with it, as demonstrated by this K-Fed fiasco, so developers/producers tend to be much more restrictive with their licensing agreements for those sorts of products.

It’s no big deal artistically, most musicians who use pre-made loops know what the rules are. People who don’t like those sorts of restrictions typically construct their own loops anyway.