More RIM BlackBerry fail:

No, for a lot of people/businesses, that’s not really a concern.

You mean the same way SMTP sends them over the internets?

People, perhaps not but I would think businesses should prioritize it. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t care if confidential emails got out.

For the businesses that do, and there are a lot of them, Blackberry is the best choice.

We’ve discussed this before.

There is currently no good alternative to the Blackberry Enterprise Server for joining mobile phones to Enterprise Networks. There certainly isn’t one that will allow ad-hoc whatever the user feels like devices to be joined.

Once competitors get over that hurdle RIM is well truly boned.

Only if the outbound mail server is running vanilla SMTP. If you’re concerned about emails being sent in plain-text then make sure your outbound server is using SMTP+AUTH+TLS. Or, you know, just accept that once an email leaves your companies network you have ZERO control over the security of that email.

That’s not as true as it once was. With the other two platforms we have users connecting to Exchange with SSL encrypt, essentially just as secure. We also push policy before use (meaning they have to key in security at a lock screen) and we have remote wipe capability, even at the outlook client level.

With an extra set of management software you can go even further than that. I can assure you, two major bank chains with offices in Charlotte, NC are exploring or allowing iPhones/Android devices already.

Unless you work for government/military/contractors, the security you can attain isn’t too shabby, thus the migration we’ve had. I work for a manufacturing company though, for what it’s worth.

Government and banks have switched to the Good platform.

What about Good? Its seems that a lot of people are starting to use it (my company included). I’m not well versed in the differences, but it seems to be providing nearly everything people need for enterprise connectivity.

Which government institutions? I know of a few that are still stuck on Rim.

It is absolutely a matter of when not if an alternative to the BES comes along. I’d be interested in hearing about who is using Good.

Gotta start making that case to the CIO sooner or later.

That “plain text email” thing is obviously false – there are little “SSL” dropdowns all over the Mail app, exactly as you’d expect from any mail client – but why did you think it was true?

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/08/04/rim-customers-try-to-save-the-playbook/

PlayBooks sit dark at retail everywhere I see them, with no one having any idea how to wake them up.

Forum member wants PlayBook fans to contribute their own money towards a grassroots gimmick with a guerilla ‘how-to’ guide. This is hilarious.

The HP TouchPads run a nice demo at least.

I used to use it back in the Palm days (7, 8 years ago) and it sucked then, but was the only platform available to get email on them from an Exchange server (without using pop or imap). Up until about 6 months ago, I thought Motorola had canceled it.

I’m a bit surprised Microsoft hasn’t beefed up SCMM into something more like BES.

Next version of SCCM has announced it will manage iOS devices somehow.

Exactly. A lot of the times these decisions are not driven by the IT department. What I’ve seen is it comes from the top down to IT that they need to start supporting iPhones or what have you, often being driven by the Sales folks complaining to the executive staff.

From what I understand, it’ll be able to manage them to the extent they support the Exchange ActiveSync feature set. I may be wrong or have outdated information, but I don’t think that iOS implements the full setup (wipe, remote lock, etc) that WinMo phones do.

Then the CTO should shutting that shit down without some sort of security being enforced. You can’t have users driving IT policy, it’s a recipe for disaster.

Sorry, execs do drive IT since they cut the check.

This seems funny to me…

IT driving policy is a recipe for destroying productivity.