More Star Trek: TNG?

I’ll check out the article. I tried watching S1E5 and think I lasted about 5 minutes. I hope they do something with O’Brian other than make him the maintenance man, running around fixing leaky faucets.

There’s nothing controversial about jumping to season three. Even that link you guys seem to revere says that the first two seasons are pretty much crap, and things really pick up in the third.

Yes, but the groundwork for that is setup in seasons 1 and 2, and just jumping to season 3 skips a lot of the why things are happening.

Sure, you’re going to miss out on some ground laying. But I don’t think anybody would be completely lost by missing that.

Unlike B5, which also had a slow start, but whose producers actually accomplished something others have claimed - they planned out their full five year run before filming anything, and they do plant seeds from the very first episode that often don’t pay off until much later. The boxing episode is still crap though.

When the ground laying has things like this, though, there’s no reason to skip all of it.

Dude’s already about to bail at the fifth episode. He’ll never make it to the good stuff at this rate.

I think he’ll really enjoy Duet. It’s a really good episode.

Or barring, that, the season finale of Season 2 if you want him to skip straight to the Dominion.

Don’t skip the first two seasons completely. Use whatever the list suggests. There are some very good episodes in there as evidenced by the fact that Garak exists prior to season 3.

B5 died for me when i saw in a hotel a few minutes of some post-B5 spinoff starring some real life LARPing British bald guy (he had a TV series about random medieval weapons) as a “technomancer” or something, and then the random evil alien they captured doing evil things gibbered in the brig “Oh, the darkness you fought for 5 seasons is just a pawn of the real evil!”. Yea, no.

B5 went too far into Space Melodrama. For the first 1-2 seasons? It was pretty great. But then i preferred pre 7-of-9 Voyager to DS9, so there’s that.

That’s why I posted that list, so he can get to the good stuff more quickly.

So the conclusion of this topic seems to be that we do not want more TNG, we want more DS9. Someone go into the wormhole and grab the Prophet.

Remind me again, does Discourse have an “ignore user” button?

Wait, that’s harsh and premature. Before I go that far, what are your feelings on ST:Nemesis?

I have no opinions on that, because after ST5 all ST movies are dead weight. There isn’t a single TNG movie worth watching. The few glimpses i’ve had of them are so embarrassingly bad i’m compelled to avert my eyes and/or change the channel.

Good answer. I shouldn’t have watched any of them. “All Good Things…” should have been their swan song.

Though, with that said, for some reason I’m still excited about Patrick Steward reportedly giving a verbal yes to being in the new limited series.

Wait a god damned minute. The Undiscovered Country is amazing.

To be honest the Star Trek rankings go something like:

Star Trek 2
Star Trek 1
Star Trek 4 (yes!)
Star Trek 3

JJ Trek 1
JJ Trek 2

… and everything else in the waste bin.

This reminds me of several barroom arguments I’ve had with a friend, he’s convinced Undiscovered Country is better than Wrath of Khan. He’s crazy of course, there’s a little too much filler in UC, Khan is tighter. But it’s still a good movie.

Thefuq is wrong witchew?

Taste!

I mean yes 5 is terrible, but 6 is fantastic and definitely better than, I daresay, 1, 3 or even 4.