More Star Trek: TNG?

Sigh…

OK, back to rewatching TOS. I am on “The Corbomite Maneuver”.

Clint Howard on the Bridge. Tranya-time.

Since we’re memeing, anyone remember that old Star Trek VHS game?

I had this as a kid. Experience Bij is still an inside joke that my D&D group uses.

I love the actor who plays Gowron so much.

Yeah, I only played that once, but I’ve had “experience bij” stuck in my head for a lifetime, so I guess it was worth it.

God bless YouTube, here’s the whole tape

Huh, did Robert O’Reilly play this guy before Gowron?

Edit: No, he played this guy long after he was established as Gowron. What the heckfire?

Not only that, but even if you did have a copy, like I did, it won’t work on anything past Windows 98, I think. :(

ps: Whilst I’m here I’ll just point out that anyone saying TOS is the best Trek is insane. It’s barely better than Voyager.

Nope, with fan-made patches, it works in modern OSes. I run it on Win7 in 1080p. Works wonderfully.

OK, crazy person. Next you’ll be telling us that air is not your preferred gas to breathe.

I mean I’m only fifty fifty on TOS.

But the only Trek I really engage with is TNG. Give me more boardroom spaceshippery!

None of the Treks since have achieved the highs the original crew. Wrath of Khan is probably one of my favorite movies, ever, because of the themes about aging and death and accepting it. It would not have been nearly as impactful without the original series backing it. The Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship is fantastic.

TNG tries to capture some of this with Picard and Data, especially in the movie series, and it just doesn’t work. DS9 does a much better job creating relationships among the crew, with Odo/Quark being one of the best, and Bashir/Chief a runner up. Not to mention Gul-Dukat being the best Trek villain ever.

So I was shown this this morning, and it’s amazing.

Sadly, now we must fight.

Today is a good day to die.

Ps ever noticed that Warf was useless at hand to hand combat? Infaxt Klingons in general. They’re all talk, no bite.

That was a symptom, I think, of lazy writing. Having talked up Klingons as the neighborhood’s badasses how do you make it a serious threat when this week’s randos take over the Enterprise? Well, duh, Klingon’s are tough, lets ragdoll Worf a bit.

I watched DS9 on-and-off when it was first on, but I’ve never gotten back to it. You guys have convinced me to watch it again. Thanks, nerds.

Having seen a lot of these episodes only once 25 years ago, I don’t remember much about them, but I do remember just enough to ruin every damn plot twist. It’s also harder to think of the Cardassians as aliens after I’ve seen Garak hijack a schoolbus full of children and Dukat beat up Rockford.

Or gettin’ in a showdown with Lou Grant!

By the time we got to Hugh, or the Hugh episode itself? If you mean the former, the Hugh episode was the first Borg episode after Best of Both Worlds Parts 1 and 2. So that’s clearly not true. If you mean awesome Borg were nullified in “I, Borg”, I completely disagree. That’s still a really great episode. I saw it again last year, and I recently listened to that episode of the Greatest Generation podcast, and they rightly pointed out that the episode hinges so much on Picard, and he’s the reason the episode is pulled off pretty nicely.

As for the followup, the Season 6 ender/Season 7 opener with the Borg and Lore, and Hugh, yeah, that was a complete mess. We can agree about that one. The cliffhanger had a lot of promise, but the season 7 opener was just so bad.

I don’t know, with a limited series, I’d love to have an end to Picard’s story done right. Maybe give him a death that’s better than Kirk’s death in Generations, and Data’s terribly handled death in Nemesis.